Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > How 9/11 changed America: In statistics

How 9/11 changed America: In statistics
Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 4, 2006, 02:48 PM

"Five years after the 11 September attacks, how has America changed? Click through these graphs to explore long-term trends in selected aspects of life. We include the five years preceding 2001 for comparison. Click the arrows below to see key events."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/in_depth/5305868.stm

Pretty interesting information.

"She's gone from suck to blow!"

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Sep 4, 2006, 03:00 PM

That actually is really interesting. I find it particularly interesting how the general trend for air travel has remained constant. It's following the same patterns it always has and overall the amount of air travel is rising. The only significant drop in air travel was when they grounded all the planes.

Also, the hate crimes against Muslims graph is pretty telling. Especially how it's stayed pretty steady for the past three years at a level significantly higher than it was before 2001.

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 4, 2006, 03:25 PM

Gee, I wonder why there is so much ill will towards Muslims.

Dark Helmet  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 4, 2006, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by Kerrigan
Gee, I wonder why there is so much ill will towards Muslims.
Well in their view there is plenty of reason to have ill will towards Americans.

"She's gone from suck to blow!"

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 4, 2006, 03:33 PM

What injustices had America committed against the middle eastern world back in the 70s during the Iranian revolution, when Ayatollah Khomeini ordered the seizure of the American embassy and declared that America was the Great Satan? I can't think of any. America is just the scapegoat because it is, in Muslim eyes, the heir to Christendom.

BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 4, 2006, 03:50 PM

What injustices had America committed against the middle eastern world back in the 70s during the Iranian revolution, when Ayatollah Khomeini ordered the seizure of the American embassy and declared that America was the Great Satan? I can't think of any. America is just the scapegoat because it is, in Muslim eyes, the heir to Christendom.
Now hold on. The US and UK overthrew the government of Iran, "Syriana"-style, when its government started nationalizing their oil. It was their first democratic government. The Shah, a pro-US Saddam-type dictator, became the head of the country. He was then overthrown in the Iranian revolution.

Sayf-Allah
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 5, 2006, 07:43 AM

Educate yourself.

Operation Ajax - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"Learn to swim"

King Bob On The Cob
Mac Elite
Sep 5, 2006, 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by BRussell
Now hold on. The US and UK overthrew the government of Iran, "Syriana"-style, when its government started nationalizing their oil. It was their first democratic government. The Shah, a pro-US Saddam-type dictator, became the head of the country. He was then overthrown in the Iranian revolution.
Uncle John's Bathroom Reader has a pretty good read on Operation Ajax, why it was performed and the signs that if we had not done it, the Russians were looking to do the same thing.

Kevin
Baninated
Sep 5, 2006, 07:18 PM

Still making silly anti-American posts in here again I see SWG.

Maybe the Canadian ones need to start popping up again.
Originally Posted by Dark Helmet
Well in their view there is plenty of reason to have ill will towards Americans.
And Canadians. Remember, they want you dead too.

Forum Links
Forum Rules