Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Sonica Theater Difficulties

Sonica Theater Difficulties
Omek
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 5, 2006, 07:52 PM

Hi there! I'm having troubles with my Klipsch 5.1 Promedia speakers and my Sonica Theater Device that is hooked up to my 17" Powerbook. I hadn't used it all summer, because I was going to have to disconnect it all and take it back to college with me. Over the summer there was the 10.4.7 system upgrade by Apple which I, of course, installed on my Powerbook. So, I get to college and hook everything up, and now I have NO sound coming through my Klipsch speakers. Yet, the M-Audio 1.6 driver software shows response from all of the speakers when I play music and such.

I contacted M-Audio already, and they had me running disk utility a million times, installing and re-installing the driver, and shutting down and connecting and disconnecting things. Nothing worked though. I was just wondering whether anyone else was having difficulities with this??? They said it may be the driver and that I'll have to wait for an upgraded version.... any ideas on how to fix this??

slpdLoad
Mac Elite
Sep 5, 2006, 08:36 PM

I found M-Audio to generally have pretty poor driver support for OS X. Consider yourself lucky though. My Sonica Theater just died. Blue light comes on, but it never gets recognized by anything. I've taken it apart and still don't know what happened. I love my m-audio keyboard though.

On a more productive note, can you launch Audio Midi Setup (In your Utilities folder) and maybe set it up in there? It might have some generic support for it.

Omek  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 5, 2006, 08:55 PM

hmmm.... let me see...

nope.. that didn't do anything either

I really hope this thing isn't shot. I noticed Griffin or someone just came out with a similar device, but it's about another $100!!! Woh is me..... I just want some dang music!!! Ahhhh! I'm going insane here. You just don't take music away from a studying college student. It's just wrong I tell you!

digweed
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 1, 2007, 01:55 AM

anyone get sonica theatre work with intel cpu mac's?

gbhgbh
Dedicated MacNNer
May 14, 2007, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by digweed View Post
anyone get sonica theatre work with intel cpu mac's?
I think all of the Intel Macs have a TOSLINK optical audio-out port. So if your 5.1 speakers or home theatre system has an optical audio-in port, you can connect it directly to your computer without needing an audio card.
( Last edited by gbhgbh; May 14, 2007 at 01:29 PM. )

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
May 14, 2007, 01:53 PM

Speaking of TOSLink port and 5.1 speaker setup, I have an original PowerMac G5 w/Logitech Z-5500 5.1 speaker, but Audio MIDI Setup only gives me 2 channels on the volume slider. I click 'configure speakers' and multichannel, only let me to pick stereo.

However, DVD Player and other 5.1-aware movies do play fine, but Audio MIDI Setup tells me another story.

gbhgbh
Dedicated MacNNer
May 14, 2007, 02:03 PM

Interesting. Does anything at all come out of your center and rear speakers when playing music or non 5.1 movies?

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
May 14, 2007, 03:26 PM

On 2.1 audio tracks, I can hear sound from front left/right and center speakers. If I turn the 'surround' feature on my Logitech console to the max, it does feed to the rear left and right speakers (virtual stereo?)

Forum Links
Forum Rules