Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Using Install/Restore Disks on differnt hardware??

Using Install/Restore Disks on differnt hardware??
dademurphy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 15, 2001, 09:27 AM

My friend just bought a new Japanese iBook, and she's looking to install an English version of the software. We tried using the Software Install disk that came with my Pismo, but we can't start up from the CD and get an error message saying that 'this disk can't be used with this computer' or something along those lines. Is there any way around this lockout, or should I trust Apple when they say they don't want me using my disc on her model computer?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 20, 2001, 11:38 AM

You cannot use system install disks from another machine to install the MacOS. You must use the original system disks or the full version of the MacOS.

Why? Apple strips the install disks of the drivers needed to run on other hardware. This is either to avoid license violations (like putting a new iMacs OS onto an old 7300, etc.) or to make room to cusumize the install with bundled software, or any other reason.

There have been many posts about this. Either use the full install or get the right system disks.

My advice? Upgrade to OSX 10.1 and get 9.2.1 with it. It's a bargain and OSX rocks!

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

rjenkinson
Professional Poster
Oct 20, 2001, 11:52 AM

the trick to remember is that older versions of the OS will not work on a newer machine. this is why your OS 9 CD from the pismo would not boot the new ibook your friend bought. in order to boot the machine, you'll need a version of the OS that came with the machine (or the north american english equivalent) or a subsequent version of the OS.

-r.

dademurphy  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 20, 2001, 12:58 PM

Cool, now I know. Thanks for the info guys.

Forum Links
Forum Rules