Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Hold Off Mac Pro Purchase for Vista???

Hold Off Mac Pro Purchase for Vista???
wcprice
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 9, 2006, 04:39 AM

I've been thinking of purchasing a Mac Pro, but I want to make certain that it will run Vista. Do forum participants believe there would be any reason, in fact, that currently-produced Mac Pros would NOT run Vista? Would there be any hardware component that could make such usage impossible, and not be fixable through future software/firmware updates?

Looking forward to your thoughts,

Clarrk Price

Pao|o
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 9, 2006, 04:55 AM

Why not hold off purchase until the Windows version after Vista? I'm sure they'll have 100 cores on a chip by then.

rnicoll
Forum Regular
Sep 9, 2006, 07:21 AM

Originally Posted by wcprice
I've been thinking of purchasing a Mac Pro, but I want to make certain that it will run Vista. Do forum participants believe there would be any reason, in fact, that currently-produced Mac Pros would NOT run Vista? Would there be any hardware component that could make such usage impossible, and not be fixable through future software/firmware updates?
From a hardware point of view, can't see it being an issue, although you may well find you need to upgrade to Leopard, with the release version of Boot Camp (just a hunch).

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 9, 2006, 07:43 AM

Clarrk Price
Considering the current Minis and MacBooks can run the Vista beta just fine, your Mac Pro will be great.

hldan
Mac Elite
Sep 10, 2006, 11:57 AM

Clarrk Price
Now, don't misunderstand me on what I am about to say because for me it would be really cool to have a multiboot machine but why would your decision to buy a new Mac be dependent upon it being able to run Microsoft's Vista OS? I mean what's the point? R U buying a Mac or buying a Windows PC? If that's the deciding factor then it sounds like the Mac OS won't be your primary OS, it sounds more like you will be using the Windows side more often and if that's the case a Macintosh is the wrong machine for you.

Now if someone was about to purchase a Dell machine and said that their buying decision was dependent upon it running Apple's Leopard then they are looking at the wrong machine as well.
What are your primary uses?
iMac 24" 2.8 Ghz Core 2 Extreme
500GB HDD
4GB Ram
Proud new Owner!

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Sep 10, 2006, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by hldan
Now, don't misunderstand me on what I am about to say because for me it would be really cool to have a multiboot machine but why would your decision to buy a new Mac be dependent upon it being able to run Microsoft's Vista OS? I mean what's the point? R U buying a Mac or buying a Windows PC? If that's the deciding factor then it sounds like the Mac OS won't be your primary OS, it sounds more like you will be using the Windows side more often and if that's the case a Macintosh is the wrong machine for you.
Not necessarily. He could have one important app that has to run in Windows/Vista, but everything else will be done in OS X. All it takes is the one app to need a new OS.
Now if someone was about to purchase a Dell machine and said that their buying decision was dependent upon it running Apple's Leopard then they are looking at the wrong machine as well.
Not really, since there's no way that the Dell can (legally) run OS X, but that's not the case here.

larrinski
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 10, 2006, 01:33 PM

Not really, since there's no way that the Dell can (legally) run OS X, but that's not the case here.
What he was saying is that if the person was looking to Mac for the sole purpose of running Windows, it is the wrong machine. And likewise, if a person was buying a Dell to run OSX, they are also buying the wrong machine. I think he was aware that Dell can't run OSX...
My Blog-pakos.me

hldan
Mac Elite
Sep 10, 2006, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by larrinski
What he was saying is that if the person was looking to Mac for the sole purpose of running Windows, it is the wrong machine. And likewise, if a person was buying a Dell to run OSX, they are also buying the wrong machine. I think he was aware that Dell can't run OSX...
Thank you for helping me make my point.
( Last edited by hldan; Sep 10, 2006 at 02:23 PM. )
500GB HDD
4GB Ram
Proud new Owner!

wcprice  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 10, 2006, 02:01 PM

1. Based on the replies I've already received, I've placed my order for the Mac Pro.

2. As for why I would have waited for Vista, that is clearly the future for Microsoft. Who's to say the day won't come when some great app is released for Vista and not for OS X? Why preclude my being able to take advantage of that, if the only cost is waiting a bit to make certain Apple has done whatever may be necessary to run Vista? But again, according to the replies to date, I think I'm safe ordering my Mac Pro. Plus I don't want to wait any longer for it.

Clark

hldan
Mac Elite
Sep 10, 2006, 02:03 PM

[QUOTE=Gossamer]Not necessarily. He could have one important app that has to run in Windows/Vista, but everything else will be done in OS X. All it takes is the one app to need a new OS.
QUOTE]

That makes absolutely no sense since Vista has not been released full blown there are no apps that require Vista. I totally understand that people do have one or two Windows apps that they have to live with especially if there is no Mac equivalent therefore XP should be all that's needed. Wanting Vista is just a matter of his choice, but it shouldn't be a deal maker when buying his new Mac Pro.

BTW to the original poster, it looks like Parallels desktop will be Vista capable but if you are a heavy gamer Bootcamp is the best solution but at this time there's no guarantee it will accommodate Vista but more than likely you can count on it since Apple is trying to grab as much market share as possible.
( Last edited by hldan; Sep 10, 2006 at 02:18 PM. )
500GB HDD
4GB Ram
Proud new Owner!

Forum Links
Forum Rules