Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > G5 tower horrible internet connection

G5 tower horrible internet connection
iceaxe23
Sep 12, 2006, 05:53 PM

Ok have had this G5 tower for some time (dual 1.8) and have never had a good time connecting to the internet. I have Roadrunner with the stock motorola SB4200 cable modem going to a D-link WBR-1310 (3rd router I have tried). I set up the small network in my house and have airport cards in my G5 and my G3 Ibook. Ibook works fine. G5 has horrible performance and always disconnects. The outcome is the same even if I have the ibook next to the G5. Ibook has internet and G5 has poor internet and loses connection. So After a year of horrible performance and trying every tip on the internet I reroute the cable so it is next to my G5 in my office and run a ethernet cable strait to the G5 and same luck. Oh and my Ibook and everyone else's computers (mac or pc can connect fine) vie wirelessly or ethernet.

Why would it just keep losing connection? I am to the point of throwing it out my window. MY newest G5 mac has worse performance than my G3 ibook

I was just going to sell my G5 and get a new Imac but I am afraid the same thing would happen.

anyone have any ideas? I do on occasion get a popup with a warning that shows an IP address and it says it is in use whatever that means.

I work from home and need the internet and hate working on my ibook (only use it as a last resort when my g5 won't work or traveling..I paid for my G5 and would like it to work)

thanks in advance
G5 dual 1.8
G4 350 superdrive now 1GHZ (gone to a new home)
Ibook 600
Mac SE

iceaxe23  (op)
Sep 13, 2006, 03:37 AM

update.
my router IP address was the same as the G5. Changed the router IP address and so far so good fingers crossed
G5 dual 1.8
Ibook 600
Mac SE

iceaxe23  (op)
Sep 17, 2006, 10:46 AM

well same old problems again. did not fix it. Can't connect to internet, find server, etc yet all other computers can
G5 dual 1.8
Ibook 600
Mac SE

ghporter
Administrator
Sep 17, 2006, 03:08 PM

What's going on with the G5's IP now? Is it set for DHCP? Is the router assigning DHCP addresses?

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Forum Links
Forum Rules