Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Shooting in a Monteal College

Shooting in a Monteal College
Pendergast
Mac Elite
Sep 13, 2006, 04:58 PM

This is FYI, if you have not got this news.

For those of you having freinds or family in Montreal, here is a link.

gunman wearing a black trench coat opened fire inside Montreal's Dawson College on Wednesday, injuring 13 people and before police killed him.

Police had earlier believed there were as many as four gunmen, as shots reportedly continued to be heard.

Of the 13 victims, officials said six are in critical condition, two are considered serious, and four are listed in stable condition. The condition of the remaining victim remains unknown.

CTV's Jed Kahane said police received a call about the shooting at just before 1 p.m. ET. Witnesses heard shots at about 12:45 ET that lasted for 30 minutes.
"He shot right at us. And when he shot at us we jumped and ran the other day," said student Ali Hussein. He added that one bullet struck a wall close to where he was standing.

Dawson College is located at the corner of Atwater and Sherbrooke in the heart of downtown Montreal.

Students told Kahane they saw someone roaming the halls with a gun, and heard at least 20 shots fired.

One student told Montreal radio station 940 News she was on the phone at the college's front entrance when she heard five gunshots and a window break. She walked into the hallway and was inches from the gunman.

"All of a sudden I turned around and saw a man dressed in black with a huge assault rifle," she said.

"People didn't know what was going on ... they thought it was a joke."

The man ran into the corner of the cafeteria to hide from police, she said.

A number of officers surrounded the school with guns drawn, while others helped to evacuate students from inside the English-language CEGEP school which has about 10,000 students.

Gary Clemence, a psychology teacher, said the college is "usually a really quiet, peaceful place. No problems, no knives, anything."

Some students and teachers barricaded themselves in classrooms, waiting for police to rescue them from the school.

As many as 40 students and staff were hiding on the seventh floor, including eyewitness Adam Perez, who spoke to CTV Newsnet.

"No one came to really warn us," said Perez. "Our first warning of the incident (came from) phone calls and text messages."

One student told 940 News she saw two people who had been shot, including one who had been hit in the neck.

Were you on the scene?
Send your images, with descriptive captions, to [email protected] Please include your name and phone number.
The student said a friend told her four people had been shot.

Michel Boyer, a student at the college, told CTV Newsnet he saw the gunman in a hallway leading to the cafeteria.

"I saw the gunman who was dressed in black and at that time he was shooting at people. It was probably one of the most frightening moments of my life," Boyer said.

Images captured from a helicopter hovering over the scene showed hordes of students running frantically from the building.

"Many people are crying as they are coming out, worried about who might still be inside the building and shocked by what happened," said CTV's Genevieve Beauchemin, reporting from the scene.

A number of police vehicles surrounded what appeared to be a bloodsoaked sidewalk outside the school, and several yellow ambulance vehicles were seen speeding from the scene after victims were carried from the building on stretchers and loaded in the vehicles.

All classes at Dawson College have been cancelled.

Today's incident is horrifyingly reminiscent of another school shooting in Montreal. On Dec. 6, 1989,

Marc Lepine shot 27 female engineering students at the Ecole Polytechnique, killing 14, before fatally shooting himself.
The mass murder prompted tighter gun laws, which included the creation of the controversial national firearms registry. It also prompted Parliament to create the National Day of Remembrance and Action on Violence against Women in 1991, to coincide with the anniversary of the tragedy.

Family members of Dawson College students seeking more information can call (514) 280-2880 or (514) 280-2806.

Meanwhile, medical staff at the Montreal General Hospital Emergency Service are asking the public to avoid the hospital's emergency rooms, so doctors can treat the 12 victims.

Concerned family members can call a special hotline at the hospital: 514-843-2839.

Zeeb
Mac Elite
Sep 13, 2006, 05:03 PM

So sad, what causes people to snap like that and shoot? Looks like this is shaping up to be a Columbine copycat.

Pendergast  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 13, 2006, 05:32 PM

Here is some contact info for people interested:

Family members of Dawson College students seeking more information can call (514) 280-2880 or (514) 280-2806.

Pendergast  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 13, 2006, 05:33 PM

The whole area was (and may still be) blocked.

There is a big grocey, a shopping mall and several office towers from which people were not allowed to leave because of the shoot out.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Sep 13, 2006, 05:35 PM

Yeah, heard that on the radio. CNN has some pix too.

P.S. Why is it in the Politics forum? Gun control discussion?

Pendergast  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 13, 2006, 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by Eug
Yeah, heard that on the radio. CNN has some pix too.

P.S. Why is it in the Politics forum? Gun control discussion?
Well, as I suppose this is the type of discussion that can degenarate, I thought proper to post here. I apologize if I offended anyone. My goal here is simply to inform people who may have relatives in that college.

They are not certain they got all the shooters yet. Man, what a day.
( Last edited by Pendergast; Sep 13, 2006 at 05:50 PM. )

Mark Larr
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 13, 2006, 07:32 PM

Only in Americ...... Oh wait.
Shut up and eat your paisley.

Pendergast  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 13, 2006, 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by Mark Larr
Only in Americ...... Oh wait.
No, not only in America. This could happen anywhere.

spacefreak
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 13, 2006, 08:05 PM

Why is there no information about the gunman? The authorities wasted no time saying that it's not terrorism or a hate crime (personally, I feel all murders are hate crimes, but that's another topic for another day).

What is so special about this gunman that his name can not be released? When stuff like this happens here, the perpetrator's name is released immediately, sometimes while the event is still going on.

Something feels fishy.

D. S. Troyer
Forum Regular
Sep 13, 2006, 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by spacefreak
Why is there no information about the gunman? The authorities wasted no time saying that it's not terrorism or a hate crime (personally, I feel all murders are hate crimes, but that's another topic for another day).

What is so special about this gunman that his name can not be released? When stuff like this happens here, the perpetrator's name is released immediately, sometimes while the event is still going on.

Something feels fishy.
Maybe because he was shot and killed. Police wouldn't release his name until notification of kin.

Imagine driving along a highway and you hear on the radio that your son has gone bazzerko and shot up a school and was shot dead by cops.

Spliffdaddy
Posting Junkie
Sep 13, 2006, 08:14 PM

That's stupid.

spacefreak
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 13, 2006, 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by D. S. Troyer
Maybe because he was shot and killed. Police wouldn't release his name until notification of kin.

Imagine driving along a highway and you hear on the radio that your son has gone bazzerko and shot up a school and was shot dead by cops.
I'd prefer to know as soon as possible.

If the police had said exactly what you said, I probably wouldn't be as perplexed. But they didn't, so I still think something's odd here.

It's been almost 7 hours already. What's the holdup in revealing the dead shooter's name?

D. S. Troyer
Forum Regular
Sep 13, 2006, 08:19 PM

If the police had said exactly what you said, I probably wouldn't be perplexed. But they didn't, so I still think something's odd here.
There may also be concern about his age which may be unknown. 17 and under is a no-no in Canada eh.

Pendergast  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 13, 2006, 08:34 PM

So far, the investigation is not finished. There may be as many as 3 more shooters, as per the witnesses.

spacefreak
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 13, 2006, 09:06 PM

There may also be concern about his age which may be unknown. 17 and under is a no-no in Canada eh.
And they may not know the identity yet.

I realize there are a host of valid reasons for the lack of a reported name. It just seems odd, because most crimes of this nature have a name associated with them rather quickly.

davesimondotcom
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 13, 2006, 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by Zeeb
So sad, what causes people to snap like that and shoot? Looks like this is shaping up to be a Columbine copycat.
I don't know, man. I wish we could know.

I actually knew someone who ended up being one of these spree-type killers. I knew him in junior high and he ended up shooting a bunch of people a few years later.

He was the guy you'd least expect. Quiet Asian guy. Good student. Nice. Loved to play basketball (but wasn't that good.)

(His name is Wayne Lo and he killed two people, a student and a professor at Simon's Rock College.)
[ sig removed - image host changed it to a big ad picture ]

finboy
Sep 13, 2006, 11:17 PM

Originally Posted by Zeeb
Good question.

I thought Canada had a bit more control on the whole "armed populace" thing. How's that working out?

Remember, people don't kill, guns do.

spacefreak
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 14, 2006, 12:59 AM

He's 25 years old, and police have his car and are searching his apartment. It's obvious that they know who the person is.

Pendergast  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 14, 2006, 06:26 AM

Originally Posted by finboy
Good question.

I thought Canada had a bit more control on the whole "armed populace" thing. How's that working out?

Remember, people don't kill, guns do.
I think we need to wait for the results of the investigation for that.

Pendergast  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 14, 2006, 06:27 AM

He's 25 years old, and police have his car and are searching his apartment. It's obvious that they know who the person is.
The police has decided to witheld the shooter's identity. This is likely because they want to know more about his ties to any resources from which he got his gun.

Sky Captain
Mac Elite
Location: Second star to the right, and straight on till morning
Sep 14, 2006, 09:04 AM

Here's his web page:
vampirefreaks.com - fatality666

His weapon was a Beretta Storm 9mm carbine.
All men are created equal, but what they do after that point puts them on a sliding scale.

finboy
Sep 14, 2006, 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by Pendergast
I think we need to wait for the results of the investigation for that.
Huh? What're we waiting for exactly?

Seems kind of strange that they'd withhold his identity. I'd bet his next of kin KNEW he was a f*cked up freak.

Sky Captain
Mac Elite
Sep 14, 2006, 09:29 AM

All men are created equal, but what they do after that point puts them on a sliding scale.

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Sep 14, 2006, 10:06 AM

Yeah, but over the radio or in the newspaper?

Let the police at least give his family a personal notification first. He's dead; he poses no threat to anyone anymore.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

Sky Captain
Mac Elite
Sep 14, 2006, 10:22 AM

Kimveer Gill, 25, of Laval.

Zeeb
Mac Elite
Sep 14, 2006, 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by davesimondotcom
I don't know, man. I wish we could know.

I actually knew someone who ended up being one of these spree-type killers. I knew him in junior high and he ended up shooting a bunch of people a few years later.

He was the guy you'd least expect. Quiet Asian guy. Good student. Nice. Loved to play basketball (but wasn't that good.)

(His name is Wayne Lo and he killed two people, a student and a professor at Simon's Rock College.)
According to what I read, most of the spree type killers are extremely depressed and frustrated. Could it be that when they go on these explosive killing sprees that they think they are doing their victims a favor? It seems that from the killer's point of view the world that they live in and the people in it are not real and so killing is not a big deal.

There is some kinda disconnect there but I guess I'm stating the obvious. I'm just trying to understand it.

Sky Captain
Mac Elite
Sep 14, 2006, 11:22 AM

Some will try to spin Kimveer as a victim.
Of a cruel society.
Bullhockey.
Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold were not victims.
They were privlidged.

I'm thinking Kimveer was privliged also.

Monique
Mac Elite
Sep 14, 2006, 12:52 PM

First, Alexis Nihon is not a big shopping centre, it is fairly small. Around 30 stores, a grocery store, a shopper's drugmart, beside that college there is a cinema complex 20 cinemas, restaurants, another college, a very expensive apartment building complex, that is where Charles Bronfman live. Lots of house. About 10 minutes walk from Greene avenue which is very very nice old street with tiny shops and another fancy grocery store. People that live around there are not poor and it is very pretty. It is true above Alexis Nihon centre there are offices.

On Ste-Catherine you can find restaurants and stores all around that area.

I went to school at the college accross the street from Dawson.

As for the motives he is a loser and if he would have survived he still would have been one. He was not disturbed just evil and a coward. It is surprising that he did not kill more people. And it is not like Columbine, and it is not the fault of the Americans. There are violent people in Canada too and people that think life is like a video game.

finboy
Sep 14, 2006, 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by Monique

As for the motives he is a loser and if he would have survived he still would have been one.
Does anyone know if Montreal has the death penalty? Or, "la peine de mort"? I guess that would be giving this type of loser what they want, though.

Monique
Mac Elite
Sep 14, 2006, 03:01 PM

Does anyone know if Montreal has the death penalty? Or, "la peine de mort"? I guess that would be giving this type of loser what they want, though.
He is dead anyway, so good riddance.

No there is no death penalty in Canada.

Nicko
Professional Poster
Sep 14, 2006, 03:27 PM

Heh, you wish. Our government doesn’t murder its citizens.

Sky Captain
Mac Elite
Sep 14, 2006, 03:39 PM

Maybe not but it isn't called nairobbery for nothing.

kobi
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 14, 2006, 04:41 PM

It's a shame that it happened.
I had someone at my work snap after he was fired, he was real depressed and drunk one day and he came in grabbed the gun at the store and shot himself in the back parking lot.
The crazy thing is that he lived.
The Religious Right is neither.

finboy
Sep 14, 2006, 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by Nicko
Our government doesn’t murder its citizens.
And how's THAT working out for you guys?

Pendergast  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 14, 2006, 05:23 PM

Huh? What're we waiting for exactly?

Seems kind of strange that they'd withhold his identity. I'd bet his next of kin KNEW he was a f*cked up freak.
Still the Sureté du Québec is making a full investigation; that means they want to make certain there are no other individuals involved.

Yeah, he was a sociopath, and the signs were alarming fore what he put in his blog.

Pendergast  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 14, 2006, 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by Sky Captain
Some will try to spin Kimveer as a victim.
Of a cruel society.
Bullhockey.
Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold were not victims.
They were privlidged.

I'm thinking Kimveer was privliged also.
From what has been published, he was not priviledged, but is not described as a victim of society either. The portrait we are getting thus far is that of an individual of modest origins. There is a long standing thread of an anti-social discourse from his late teens at least.

Pendergast  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 14, 2006, 05:26 PM

Canada is not supporting the death penalty.

Pendergast  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 14, 2006, 05:29 PM

And how's THAT working out for you guys?
Does it make a difference, besides eliminating the guy and saving tax dollars?

If you want to create a thread on death penalty, feel welcome to do so; I am sure lots of people will participate.

Pendergast  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 14, 2006, 05:31 PM

The issue related to the witholding of information regarding the shooter is that there are 2 police corps in Quebec; municipal, and provincial. When a death is perpetrated by the municipal police corps, the provincial police corps investigates.

That is how I understand it.

baw
Mac Elite
Sep 14, 2006, 05:36 PM

He is dead. Good riddance. Next...

Pendergast  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 14, 2006, 05:37 PM

First, Alexis Nihon is not a big shopping centre, it is fairly small. Around 30 stores, a grocery store, a shopper's drugmart, beside that college there is a cinema complex 20 cinemas, restaurants, another college, a very expensive apartment building complex, that is where Charles Bronfman live. Lots of house. About 10 minutes walk from Greene avenue which is very very nice old street with tiny shops and another fancy grocery store. People that live around there are not poor and it is very pretty. It is true above Alexis Nihon centre there are offices.

On Ste-Catherine you can find restaurants and stores all around that area.

I went to school at the college accross the street from Dawson.

As for the motives he is a loser and if he would have survived he still would have been one. He was not disturbed just evil and a coward. It is surprising that he did not kill more people. And it is not like Columbine, and it is not the fault of the Americans. There are violent people in Canada too and people that think life is like a video game.
Place Alexis Nihon

About our Shopping Center
The main attraction of Place Alexis Nihon is its ability, with some 100 stores and boutiques, to respond to each and every consumer need. The abundance of services, specialty boutiques, restaurants and large retail stores sets Place Alexis Nihon above the rest - both for quantity and quality. The management of Place Alexis Nihon is especially proud of its supportive role in fostering close tenants relations, the result of diligent and dependable service at all times.
More

Place Alexis Nihon, a 2.4 million square foot downtown complex, meets the business community's every need. A 400,000 square foot shopping centre, two office towers, a residential tower and an indoor parking area for over 1235 vehicles make up one of Montreal's most coveted corporate venues.

ghporter
Administrator
Sep 14, 2006, 05:37 PM

It looks like this guy was way out of the mainstream, whether he felt victimized or not. Not, is what I'd say. "Vampirefreaks.com?" Doesn't that say a lot? There's a place for going online and "being" someone else, but acting on that alter-ego's urges is dysfunctional to say the least, and it's probably safe to call it outright ill.

I'm sorry this happened, and sorry that this guy managed to get himself into a position where he lost touch enough to do it.

The news reports say "19 wounded." I haven't seen any reports about how they're doing. Any new info?

Pendergast, I think your use of the word "perpetrated" is kind of slanted-whether you meant it that way or not. "Caused" would work better there because it doesn't assume the bias that "perpetrated" does. You don't think that it would have been better to let the guy go on shooting people until he ran out of ammunition, do you?

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Monique
Mac Elite
Sep 14, 2006, 05:40 PM

No Canada does not support the death penalty, they have the police shoot suspects instead. No trials, much shorter Canadian justice.

Pendergast  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 14, 2006, 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter
It looks like this guy was way out of the mainstream, whether he felt victimized or not. Not, is what I'd say. "Vampirefreaks.com?" Doesn't that say a lot? There's a place for going online and "being" someone else, but acting on that alter-ego's urges is dysfunctional to say the least, and it's probably safe to call it outright ill.

I'm sorry this happened, and sorry that this guy managed to get himself into a position where he lost touch enough to do it.
Absolutely.

The news reports say "19 wounded." I haven't seen any reports about how they're doing. Any new info?
Update

Four people remained in critical condition, with one in a "deep coma," in a Montreal hospital intensive-care unit Thursday after being shot at a Montreal junior college a day earlier.
One died this morning.

Pendergast, I think your use of the word "perpetrated" is kind of slanted-whether you meant it that way or not. "Caused" would work better there because it doesn't assume the bias that "perpetrated" does. You don't think that it would have been better to let the guy go on shooting people until he ran out of ammunition, do you?
I am sorry. Please blame it on my translations skills. What I meant is that at the time of this situation, no one knew for sure who did what. There was also the issue of potentially 2 more shooters, which appears to have not been the case.

The word "perpétré" refers to some form of cause, in my understanding anyway, so yes, your interpretation may be more appropriate.

Pendergast  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 14, 2006, 05:46 PM

Here is one of the many portraits drawn of the man by the media.

In an autobiographical survey, he answers the question, "How do you want to die?" with an eerie foreshadowed response "Like Romeo and Juliet -- or in a hail of gunfire."
Also on Gill's "likes" list are: massacres, trenchcoats and destruction.

He dislikes "The world and everything in it."

"But to be more specific," he continues, he hates jocks, preps, country music, Hip Hop, "bible-thumping know-it-alls," God and "all those who oppose my rule."
Clearly out of the trench...

What is quite disturbing is that the same discourse of destruction is a trend from end of high school up to his blog.

ghporter
Administrator
Sep 14, 2006, 05:47 PM

Gotcha. Far too often "journalists" expose their inner biases through their particular turn of phrase-it's kind of funny to see how skewed a report can be when you compare multiple reporter's writing about the same event.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Location: Partying down with the Ewoks, after I nuked the Death Star!
Sep 14, 2006, 06:06 PM

For a guy who played that many video games and owned guns I am surprised what a bad shot he was.

"Hello, what have we here?

Pendergast  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 14, 2006, 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by Landos Mustache
For a guy who played that many video games and owned guns I am surprised what a bad shot he was.

As per one witness, he came inside the cafeteria, where a guy was sitting on the knees of his girlfriend. He told him to move away which he did, and the shooter shot 4 times at the girl.

I am not sure if he was bad shooter, but he certainely knew what he was looking for.

Besides, I think your comment is disgracious and inappropriate.

Pendergast  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 14, 2006, 06:32 PM

No Canada does not support the death penalty, they have the police shoot suspects instead. No trials, much shorter Canadian justice.
In this case, the shooter killed himself.

The autopsy revealed that one of the bullets was in his arm, from a policeman.

The other, in his head, was from his own weapon, and self inflicted.

300 hundred people will be interrogated in the course of the investigation.

Canada has been through 4 of these type of situations, 1 in Alberta, and 3 in Quebec, with this last incident. None of these situations show a common trend except for the violence displayed. That is without counting the hostage taking of Quebec's Parlement by an ex-military, about 20 years ago.

Montreal police has been extremely efficient in this situation; the police started the operations of intervention before they got support from the special teams and other reinforcements.

Sky Captain
Mac Elite
Sep 15, 2006, 07:21 AM

Was he just shooting young women?

Forum Links
Forum Rules