Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Redline is finally here.

Redline is finally here.
Madison
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 22, 2006, 05:10 AM

Here's the link...

Ambrosia Software, Inc. -- games/redline

I downloaded and tried the demo, it's okay. You only get to try two tracks. Certainly not a top of the line racing sim, but it's looks pretty good.

Horsepoo!!!
Banned
Sep 22, 2006, 07:24 AM

It's got good physics...which is good enough for me. Reminds me a bit of the fun I had with Carmageddon 1/2.

Beats the pants off a bunch of racing sims that have crappy phyisics.

itschestercopperpot
Banned
Sep 22, 2006, 09:40 AM

Honestly, I think it looks horrible. The graphics look like higher res versions of playstation one games, not very many polys at all, the tracks lack detail, again, not very many polys, the effects kinda blow... I'm just not impressed at all. It's pretty sad that this game is the newest racing game the mac has to offer. Thank god for intel macs.

Nugget
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 22, 2006, 11:08 AM

I'm with Horsepoo. The physics seem really solid and I've been enjoying the demo quite a bit. I've got a closet full of crappy racing games with flashy graphics but no realism at all. I don't need another one of those.

If the multiplayer pans out it might displace Need for Speed : Porsche Unleashed as my favorite racing sim.

I'm impressed.

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 22, 2006, 04:28 PM

I wish I'd understand why they wasted so much time on developing their own graphic engine when they could have used Torque engine and benefit a lot more from it.

Played the demo and it's good. Not the best but graphics are pretty clean.

MartiNZ
Senior User
Sep 22, 2006, 10:42 PM

Careful running it on a machine with a GeForce FX Go5200 - there are several reports of graphical issues with it over at the ambrosia forums, including my own, involving kernel panics and now a seemingly lost graphics card / display link.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Sep 23, 2006, 02:40 AM

Originally Posted by itschestercopperpot
Honestly, I think it looks horrible. The graphics look like higher res versions of playstation one games, not very many polys at all, the tracks lack detail, again, not very many polys, the effects kinda blow... I'm just not impressed at all. It's pretty sad that this game is the newest racing game the mac has to offer. Thank god for intel macs.
My annoyance is the drawing distance is too low. It's annoying just seeing a building drawing out of nowhere. Could either use some optimizations or some fog effects.

Physics are good, I wish the maps were a bit more lively though.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

Mr Heliums
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 23, 2006, 02:13 PM

The multiplayer format is excellent. Too busy having fun to look at the scenery.

Horsepoo!!!
Banned
Sep 23, 2006, 06:43 PM

Ok...so the graphics aren't state-of-the-art...who cares...neither are the graphics for Carmageddon 2 or Marathon in this present day...but guess what, those two games are still more fun than 98% of the games that were released in the past 3 years.

Horsepoo!!!
Banned
Sep 23, 2006, 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by itschestercopperpot
Did you get pwned in a multiplayer game? I bet you did. In fact, I probably beat yo ass.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Sep 23, 2006, 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by Horsepoo!!!
Ok...so the graphics aren't state-of-the-art...who cares...neither are the graphics for Carmageddon 2 or Marathon in this present day...but guess what, those two games are still more fun than 98% of the games that were released in the past 3 years.
Oh don't get me wrong, it's a fun game. I was just hoping for a bit more graphical polish on a game that's been in development... forever.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

ChesterCopperpotReturns
Baninated
Sep 25, 2006, 10:59 PM

Honestly, this is a really really horrible game. I just downloaded it in hopes that it would be fun enough to ignore the 1997 graphics, but nope. It's just like carmageddon 2 in terms of graphics, but a lot less detail, a lot less creativity, and the game itself is a lot less fun. Also, the 'non licensed' cars are non licensed for a reason: They're HORRIBLE. The mini barely looks like a mini, hte charger's back end is just plain wrong (I know htey were trying to make it look like a 66 or 67, but it just isn't right). Whoever modeled these cars needs to be fired.

Mr Heliums
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 26, 2006, 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by Horsepoo!!!
Exactly, I don't care if the minis an exact replica or not. The game is really playable. Excellent multiplayer mode and I love the way that your time trials are automatically synced online, so you can see exactly how you measure up against other players.

macintologist
Professional Poster
Sep 26, 2006, 04:21 PM

I hate how the demo only gives you a f(&(& MINI!!! Registered players online are put at such an unfair advantage when they can use really nice cars and us Demo players are stuck with a Mini!!!!

Madison  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 26, 2006, 04:29 PM

Run the challenges and bet them, then you can unlock the Vette, Golf, and DeLorean, even in the Demo mode.

macintologist
Professional Poster
Sep 26, 2006, 04:29 PM

By the way does anyone here know how to change the color of your name in multiplayer?

Mr Heliums
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 28, 2006, 03:27 AM

No idea; there's some mention of it on Ambrosia's forums (Coloured names. - Ambrosia Software Web Board, but it looks like you might have to find out for yourself!

Rumor
Sep 28, 2006, 01:29 PM

I use Redline for my transmission fluid.
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

Forum Links
Forum Rules