Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Mac Mini + Plasma

Mac Mini + Plasma
yaroldb
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 27, 2006, 11:58 AM

Hey guys,

I am looking for wisdom on this one. I just purchased a Philips HDTV 42 inch Plasma. It has 2 HDMI ports and can take computer resolution up to 1366 x 768. Is it possible to take a Mini and plug it into the HDMI port, purchase a wireless keyboard and mouse and have a big screen MAC in my living room? I have not purchased a Mini just yet. I am not sure if it will look that great on that TV.

Would you recommend this?

Thank you in advanced for your help.
( Last edited by yaroldb; Sep 27, 2006 at 01:53 PM. )
-8gb Iphone
-iMac 20inch 2.16GhzC2D 2Gb Ram, 500GB HD
-White Macbook 2.0GhzCD 2GB Ram, 120GB HD
-White 30GB iPod Video
-Black 30GB iPod Video

quiklee
Senior User
Sep 27, 2006, 02:05 PM

It's possible, but I wouldn't do it on a Plasma . . . this is more of a job for a LCD
I am part of Lakers Nation and love to buy Used Golf Clubs

aaardal
Forum Regular
Sep 27, 2006, 06:11 PM

The funny thing is, every flat panel tv is referred to as a "plasma" tv. Kind of like band-aid or Kool-aid.

I've hooked mine up via hdmi and it works just fine (42" LCD Philips). I just wish I could do a split screen and watch football on one side and mac mini on the other side.


Sep 27, 2006, 06:19 PM

Yeah, get a LCD not plasma. LCDs are much better suited to the mini in general.
-

brokenjago
Mac Elite
Sep 27, 2006, 06:57 PM

It's a bit too late for that, now isn't it? He's already bought the Plasma. He's asking if the mini would go well with it.

I don't know if it would though. Sorry!
Linkinus is king.

CreepDogg
Mac Elite
Sep 27, 2006, 07:39 PM

Yeah, I'd keep the mini away from the plasma unless you want the Mac menu bar burned into the top of the screen. You MIGHT be OK if you only used it for Front Row and DVDs, but it's risky if someone couldcome along and use the Mac interface. LCDs don't have this problem, and thus are generally better suited to computer use. Good luck.

yaroldb  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 27, 2006, 10:01 PM

Thanks for the input guys, I went to my local Mac store and purchased a Mini-DVI to Video adapter to connect my Macbook using S-Video. I have to say I was disappointed. The letters were not crisp and quit fuzzy. Front Row looked great and the Iphoto slideshow was incredible. While I think HDMI would look better, I do not think the improvement would be that great. That being said, my Mac Mini venture is over.

Thanks again for the advice.
-8gb Iphone
-iMac 20inch 2.16GhzC2D 2Gb Ram, 500GB HD
-White Macbook 2.0GhzCD 2GB Ram, 120GB HD
-White 30GB iPod Video
-Black 30GB iPod Video

chefpastry
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 27, 2006, 10:37 PM

Originally Posted by yaroldb
Thanks for the input guys, I went to my local Mac store and purchased a Mini-DVI to Video adapter to connect my Macbook using S-Video. I have to say I was disappointed. The letters were not crisp and quit fuzzy. Front Row looked great and the Iphoto slideshow was incredible. While I think HDMI would look better, I do not think the improvement would be that great. That being said, my Mac Mini venture is over.

Thanks again for the advice.
First of all, I agree with everyone else. I don't suggest using a plasma TV with computers or gaming consoles for fear of burn-in.

Secondly, connecting any computer to a plasma or LCD TV through S-video will always produce very poor image. Try using a DVI to HDMI cable and a DVI adaptor for your Mini and you will see how much of a difference there is.
Mac Pro 3.2x8 - 48GB - EVGA GTX 680 - Apple Remote - Dell 3007WFP-HC
MacBook 2GHz - C2D - 8GB - GF 9400M
Mac mini 2.33GHz C2D - 4GB - GMA950 - 2 Drobos - SS4200 (unRAID)
iPhone 5 + iPhone 4 S⃣

CreepDogg
Mac Elite
Sep 27, 2006, 11:25 PM

Agreed - yaroldb, I assume you DO have a plasma and not an LCD, so you can probably disregard this. But anyway, a 'true' (though more expensive) expirement with your Macbook would be to get a mini-DVI to DVI adapter, a DVI to HDMI adapter, and an HDMI cable (or DVI-HDMI cable) and hook it up that way. You should see a big difference.

quiklee
Senior User
Sep 28, 2006, 01:33 AM

s-cable is horrible compared to hdmi

it's like putting on a pair of glasses when you use hdmi
I am part of Lakers Nation and love to buy Used Golf Clubs

ChrisB
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 28, 2006, 01:36 AM

You have to remember that anytime you down-convert your Mac's output by using S-Video, you're reducing your output to NTSC's native resolution of 720x486. When using a digital output, like HDMI, you're sending a digital signal, and on a high resolution display, you can take advantage of all those pixels and actually display 1366 x 786 pixel for pixel. If you are going to be using the display for computer related tasks, then use HDMI. But if you are only using Front Row, watching DVD's, and viewing photos, then go ahead and use S-Video or component video. If you have HD content to view, then use HDMI.
Chris Brown
Media, Brand, and IPTV Consultant

Forum Links
Forum Rules