Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Battery pack and memory?

Battery pack and memory?
Roatan97
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 28, 2006, 06:07 PM

Hi, I have an ibook G3 OS 10.2 and I just got an airport card installed. I had to get firefox installed to be able to check email on the web. Anyhow, I am looking for a battery pack so that I don't have to be plugged in to use it. What is it called and what should I expect to pay? Is it external or internal. I have never seen one for the ibook.

Also, I am considering to buy more RAM and memory for the hard drive. Do they each have a specific name, so I know what to look for, and again, what should I expect to pay?
How and where do I add memory, or do I have to take it to shop? All I can seem to open is to lift the keyboard, where the airport card is installed. Doesn't seem to be room for anything else.

This is all new to me so please be detailed. Thank you very much.


Sep 28, 2006, 06:57 PM

What kind of iBook G3 do you have? Is it totally white, or is it colorful? If you can tell us these things, then I can help you.
-

Roatan97  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 28, 2006, 07:35 PM

It is a tangerine clamshell ibook G3 OS 10.2.4
Do you need more info?


Sep 28, 2006, 07:54 PM

Nope, that is fine. I suggest looking around at OWC: Apple Mac G4 upgrades, Laptop Batteries, Memory, Drives for the parts you need. They have the products that you are looking for at reasonable prices. By the way, I love the clamshell iBooks!
-

Roatan97  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 29, 2006, 10:45 PM

Thanks for that link. This brought up another question. I have one of those calmshell batteries in the computer. When I try to start the computer without it plugged in nothing happens. Can it be that the battery is totally dead. How can I know? How long would the computer have to be plugged in for the battery to reach full charge (if it's not dead)?

Do I just leave the computer on, and let the screen saver come on, fold down the top or can you tell me about the sleep mode? What is the difference? Is it normal that it gets pretty warm on the underside?

Thanks.


Sep 29, 2006, 10:56 PM

The battery is probably dead, since your iBook is fairly old. For sleep mode check under System Preferances> Energy Saver. That will tell you when your iBook is set to go to sleep. Closing the lid also puts it to sleep. It is normal for it to get warm, but not enough to burn you.
-

Roatan97  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 30, 2006, 03:14 PM

Can you tell me if the battery charges with or without the computer turned on? Is it enough to plug it in to the wall without turning it on?


Sep 30, 2006, 04:39 PM

It charges no matter if it is on or off, it just has to be plugged in.
-

Forum Links
Forum Rules