Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Pasadena Apple Store Story - Honest Salesman

Pasadena Apple Store Story - Honest Salesman
quiklee
Senior User
Sep 28, 2006, 01:40 AM

So, I take my roommate who has the student discount to go get a MacBook. We tell the salesman that we want 1GB of Ram on the 1.83 since she's just a casual user and doesn't like closing programs. Anyways, the salesman tells us that we should really get it through the online store if we want to save money and was almost insistent about it. I asked him for the 24 inch iMac with 2GB of Ram and he shook his head again. Since they didn't have it in stock, he said we would save the most money online. I was quite impressed and thought i should share it.

It's the shaggy hair guy with the beard and the green hat . . . just in case you were wondering.
I am part of Lakers Nation and love to buy Used Golf Clubs

Soccerji
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 28, 2006, 06:26 PM

can't he get fired because of that ?

quiklee  (op)
Senior User
Sep 28, 2006, 07:06 PM

I don't think so. I know from now on that if I go to the apple store, I'm not gonna be sold. The salesperson's probably gotten a life long customer which can generate more revenue for the store over the long term, than a one time buyer who realizes he could have gotten a better deal somewhere else and therefore would feel too jaded to shop there again.

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 28, 2006, 07:09 PM

I don't get it. Why would prices be higher at the store? Were you at an Apple Store, or the campus bookstore?

quiklee  (op)
Senior User
Sep 28, 2006, 08:07 PM

The prices were higher at the store because of the labor costs PLUS the additional Ram you would have to buy. Online, they can replace the amount of Ram you would like instead of selling you more and then charging you to put them in.

bill k
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 28, 2006, 09:10 PM

Brick & mortar suppliers have big overheads, I've noticed that some power tools are cheaper bought on the net, even with shipping costs.

Addicted to MacNN
Sep 29, 2006, 12:00 PM

So just to be clear, were you in an official Apple Store or an authorized dealer?

quiklee  (op)
Senior User
Sep 29, 2006, 12:46 PM

i was at the official Apple Store in Pasadena

chipchen
Mac Elite
Sep 29, 2006, 12:53 PM

The reason why, is that at the store, you have to buy (2) 512MB chips and remove the (2) 256MB chips. Online, you can pre-configure without the (2) 256MB chips in the first place. It's like getting credit for it.

ghporter
Administrator
Sep 29, 2006, 01:19 PM

Yeah, with BTO they just put in the specific RAM quantity you order at the point that RAM goes in. That way there's NO extra work, just the extra cost for the larger amount of RAM. To open up, no button up. Just part of the assembly line.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Addicted to MacNN
Sep 29, 2006, 01:50 PM

Ahh, I understand now. The reason I'm trying to get it straight is because I will be ordering my iMac 24" from an Apple Store and will now be wary of that extra cost. I guess the benefit of paying that extra cash is that you get your Mac sooner than you would if you ordered it online. They tell me that I can order my Mac at my local Apple Store and they'll have it ready for me within an hour, as opposed to waiting up to a week or so for delivery.

Anyways, was the price difference pretty drastic or was it a matter of something like $50?

Karpfish
Forum Regular
Sep 29, 2006, 02:25 PM

apple stores do stock certain popular upgrades thugh. i know my apple store(the westchester,NY)near me stocks blackbook with a gig of ram

ghporter
Administrator
Sep 29, 2006, 07:13 PM

Probably a lot more than $50. It depends on their hourly bench rate and what the standard is for installing upgrade RAM. A lot of computer shops work like auto repair places with a standard rate for a variety of frequently encountered customer requests. While some techs may be able to do an upgrade in 30 minutes, it might take others 90 minutes. So they set a standard of, let's say 75 minutes and bill according to the standard, whether Joe Fasthands does the job or Sam Slowpoke. Ask NOW.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

chipchen
Mac Elite
Sep 29, 2006, 08:09 PM

Ram installation is $30. It's free with a computer purchase. But RAM is expensive at the Apple store... (2) 512MB sticks run $200. The upgrade online is something like $100. So basically you save $100.

Apple Stores stock popular configurations (such as those in the online store designated as "best"). But obviously don't stock minor modifications as it would be an inventory nightmare. From time to time I've seen Apple store managers "match" pricing or upgrades... for instance they would take $100 from the price of the total to match the online pricing in the scenario above. BUT, that usually only occurs once in a while (it's definately not offered), and cannot be combined with other discounts (education, etc).

sigamy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 2, 2006, 12:14 PM

I've been reading these stories for a while now..how Apple charges a lot more to upgrade RAM in the store. I have three Apple stores within an hour of me here in NJ. I was getting a new 20" C2D iMac and decided to see if I could get the 2GB RAM upgrade for the same price as online. Couldn't wait for shipping!

At my first Apple Store the sales rep told me that the 2GB upgrade would be the same price as online. He even went online and configured one and saw that it was $175.

So, I paid for the iMac and upgrade and I heard some confusion going on. I was ready for them to tell me it would be $600 or $375 to upgrade to 2GB. (These were some of the figures I've read in forums). But, he rang it up and it was the correct amount.

On my reciept I see:
2GB Apple RAM (2x1GB) $600
Customer Service ($225)
1GB Apple RAM(2x512) ($200)

So...in other Apple Stores people are just being quoted the $600 price for the two 1GB chips, without the $225 credit--which I don't even know what that is. Also, people are not being given, or given the option, to give back the two 512mb modules for the $200 credit.

I had the RAM installed in store with my new machine. I didn't need the video card upgrade so I couldn't be happier that I got my machine with 2GB RAM for the same price as the online store.

Apple needs to make the policy consistant across all stores.

Addicted to MacNN
Oct 2, 2006, 01:06 PM

This is good to know, sigamy. I will be sure to be aware of this when I go to order mine this week. I refuse to pay that much more for on-site RAM installations.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Oct 2, 2006, 01:22 PM

RAM prices are higher at brick and mortar Apple stores. Here is why.

When you upgrade the RAM online, they simply build your laptop with the 1 gig of RAM.

When you upgrade at the store, they pull a laptop out of the box with two 256 meg chips. They then put in two 512 chips. You've now bought a laptop that includes both the two 256 meg chips and the two 512 chips.

Online you just have to pay for the 512 chips. In the store you have to pay for both the 256 chips and the two 512 chips.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

Addicted to MacNN
Oct 2, 2006, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by goMac
RAM prices are higher at brick and mortar Apple stores. Here is why.

When you upgrade the RAM online, they simply build your laptop with the 1 gig of RAM.

When you upgrade at the store, they pull a laptop out of the box with two 256 meg chips. They then put in two 512 chips. You've now bought a laptop that includes both the two 256 meg chips and the two 512 chips.

Online you just have to pay for the 512 chips. In the store you have to pay for both the 256 chips and the two 512 chips.
Right, which is what sigamy mentioned up top where some places refund the price of those extra RAM sticks from the stock machine, and others don't. I wonder if its just a matter of asking or telling them to refund that money, or if its one of those things where the store has the authority to refund the money or not. And it looks like they refunded $225 of "Customer Service" fees, which I assume is the installation fee. But damn thats high for a RAM installation fee.

Anyways, I'll try to clear this up when I go get mine this weekend.

Forum Links
Forum Rules