Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Intel Mac Mini...Slowness Issues

Intel Mac Mini...Slowness Issues
brokecollegestudentF04
Banned
Sep 29, 2006, 10:44 AM

So ive been a switcher for about 2 weeks now and my mini is acting rather slow. I used my friends iMac G3 600 the other day and it seemed like the iMac smoked it.. Loaded programs faster loaded everything faster even on 256mb of ram and hes running 10.4.. So i drove 80 miles to the apple store just before the 14 day return was up and they couldnt get me in to look at it.. So any ideas why this could be so slow.. Ive done everything on apples site as far as repairing permissions and stuff like that.

jamil5454
Mac Elite
Sep 29, 2006, 10:49 AM

Check your CPU and disk usage. Also, what are the specs on the Mini?

brokecollegestudentF04  (op)
Banned
Sep 29, 2006, 02:16 PM

1.66ghz Core Duo
512MB RAM 60GB HD Combo Drive

The CPU Usage is around 25 percent when im using safari and itunes.

Disk Usage is 28.89GB Free

badsey
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 29, 2006, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by brokecollegestudentF04
1.66ghz Core Duo
512MB RAM 60GB HD Combo Drive

The CPU Usage is around 25 percent when im using safari and itunes.

Disk Usage is 28.89GB Free
You got to get more RAM memory in these Macs. I have 1.5Gb iMac Core Duo and I do plan on maxing it out to 2GB. =Stick a 1GB stick in that Mac Mini of yours. Check NewEgg for the best memory that works (see feedback). I went with Crucial and paid more, but at the time the choices were limited = many more ram choices for these Macs now.

Even search these boards for people that are upgrading and don't want their old sticks of memory.

The Intel Mac mini has 2 memory slots. =Shove a 1GB chip in one of those or try to find someone that wants a 2GB system and wants to get rid of their old 512MB chip. You will see a big improvement.

The Mac Mini (Early 2006) has two internal SO-DIMM RAM slots. The computer ships from the factory with at least 512 MB of DDR2 SDRAM; one 256 MB SO-DIMM in each slot. (It may come with more RAM installed, depending on how you ordered the computer from Apple—two 512 MB SO-DIMMs for 1GB total, or two 1GB SO-DIMMs for 2GB total).

The maximum amount of SDRAM supported by the Mac mini (Early 2006) is 2GB (one 1GB SO-DIMM in each slot) with the following specifications:

PC2-5300
unbuffered
nonparity
200-pin
667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM

DIMMs with the following features are not supported by the Mac mini (Early 2006):

registers or buffers
PLLs
ECC
parity
EDO RAM


Sep 29, 2006, 04:40 PM

Update to 10.4.8 too. It is snappier on Mac minis, as other forum members are discovering
-

brokecollegestudentF04  (op)
Banned
Sep 30, 2006, 12:47 AM

I did the 10.4.8 update today.. but now when i go to browse the network i go to the go menu and then click network the window pops open for a second and closes shut.. any ideas.. The system is snappier by far..

JKT
Professional Poster
Sep 30, 2006, 08:13 AM

Forum Links
Forum Rules