Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Slow trash emptying

Slow trash emptying
tibbetts
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 11, 2000, 04:29 PM

Recently, my trash started emptying really slowly. The trash used to only take a few seconds, even with over 1000 files in it. Now, it's slowed down to only 2 or 3 files a second. It's painful to sit there and watch the "remaining" total tick down one by one.

Any ideas?

wlonh
Professional Poster
Jan 11, 2000, 04:38 PM

a stab... try trashing the Finder Preferences file...
(put Finder Pref's file in trash and restart and when restarted, reset Finder Pref's in Edit menu)

might work, who knows...

Emptying the trash is a function of the Finder, yes? Hey, there is likely a connection here, if this behaviour just recently cropped up, you could well have corrupted Finder Preferences, it happens.

[This message has been edited by wlonh (edited 01-11-2000).]

Misha
Professional Poster
Jan 11, 2000, 04:39 PM

First, what OS are using? If it's 8.x, I strongly recommend purchasing Speed Doubler 8 from Connectix, which will empty the trash in a matter of seconds regardless as to how much stuff in there. Also note that emptying the trash became much slower when Mac OS 8 was released, and has become slower still with Mac OS 9 (imo).

Otherwise your hard drive could be severely defragmented which impacts drive performance (and, in turn, the time it takes to empty the trash). Do you ever defrag your drive? Do you know what defragging is (not doubting your computer literacy, just making sure)?

wlonh
Professional Poster
Jan 11, 2000, 04:50 PM

yes a badly fragged HD could be the culprit, but if the symptom cropped up recently, it is more likely that the Finder Pref's are to blame, they do get corrupted from time to time...

tibbetts  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 11, 2000, 05:11 PM

I trashed the Finder prefs, but the problem remains. I did, however, discover that holding down "option" and "command" while selecting "empty trash" causes the emptying to go at the "normal" pace.

BTW: I'm running OS 8.6 on a beige G3

tibbetts  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 11, 2000, 05:15 PM

Never mind, folks! My mistake.

I just realized that I have Norton Filesaver on, and "Option-Command" is the hot-key to bypass it's deletion tracking feature.

Thanks for the quick replies!

Misha
Professional Poster
Jan 14, 2000, 02:01 AM

Since you're running 8.6, get your Mac a copy of Speed Doubler 8... you'll love yourself for it.
http://www.connectix.com/

Forum Links
Forum Rules