Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Mounting a FAT32 Volume.

Mounting a FAT32 Volume.
Seagull
Dec 27, 1999, 06:13 AM

Hello all...
You may be aware that Microsoft has implemented the FAT32 file system in the Windows operating system since the later versions of Windows 95. I have connected a FAT16 hard disk to my Mac and the Mac OS can mount it. But when I tried to mount a FAT32 disk, the Mac OS cannot recognise it. Anyone have any suggestions?

drewman
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 27, 1999, 11:33 PM

Fat32 is only supported in MacOS 8.1 and later. I bet you have an earlier version, don't you?

drewman

Seagull
Dec 28, 1999, 07:16 AM

No, I actually tried with Mac OS 8.6 and it can mount a FAT16 disk but not a FAT32 disk.
Although I have not try with Mac OS 9 but I have a feeling that Mac OS 9 itself cannot recognise a FAT32 volume.

drewman
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 28, 1999, 05:56 PM

Are you using removable media? I think that FAT32 is only supported on hard drives in the MacOS. I also remember that 8.1 was important because it supported Win95 long filenames and FAT32.

drewman

Seagull
Dec 30, 1999, 11:09 PM

Not a removable drive but a hard disk. Well, I startup the computer from an external SCSI hard disk and connect the FAT32 disk in place of the Mac hard disk. The Mac OS can mount a FAT16 disk but when a FAT32 disk is connected, the System ask you to format it or it cannot mount it. This was in Mac OS 8.6.

Seagull
Jan 2, 2000, 02:23 AM

Good news! I can now confirm that Mac OS 9 can mount FAT32 volumes. You can copy to and from these volumes like other PC disks.

macintostie
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 3, 2000, 06:38 PM

How about ISO 9660 CD-ROM? Can you mount them with long file names?

Seagull
Jan 4, 2000, 10:13 AM

Well, the Mac OS allows for file names of maximum 32 characters long. So, if the files on those CD-ROM have names have 32 characters or less, they will be display as normal. If the file names are longer, I think they will be truncated with some characters, including numbers, attached to the end of the files, just before the file extensions if they are DOS or Windows files.

Forum Links
Forum Rules