Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Could this be a sign that the C2D Macbook/Macbooks Pro's wll be released next week?

Could this be a sign that the C2D Macbook/Macbooks Pro's wll be released next week?
thiagofll
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 30, 2006, 10:49 PM

I was doing some research online. Anyways, there were some rumors that the new Macbooks/Macbook Pro were already being manufactured with the Core 2 Duo chips but Apple was waiting for the new 10.4.8 update to release the Core 2 Duo machines.

Well I was searching through Amazon.com and it seems that both Macbook/Macbook Pros have an estimate ship of 3-4 days (which always says: "ships same day by Amazon", and every other company online have it in stock, even the ones that sell within Amazon.com.

Would that be a sign that the new Core 2 Duo Macbook/Macbook Pro might be coming this upcoming week(first week of October)?
( Last edited by thiagofll; Sep 30, 2006 at 11:02 PM. )
[FONT="Trebuchet MS"]My Gadgets: 24" iMac Core 2 Duo, 4GB DDR2 RAM, Wireless Mighty Mouse // MacBook Pro 17" 2.44Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo, 160GB HD, 4GB RAM / 8GB Apple iPhone/ JBL Spot/ Canon SD850 w/ 4GB Card/ Canon XTi Rebel Black.[/FONT]

typerlover
Oct 1, 2006, 01:42 AM

Went to the university bookstore today and they did not have a single MBP for sale. Thought it was strange that they didn't have any, but all just speculation.

Fully stocked with macbooks and c2d imacs though.

brokenjago
Mac Elite
Oct 1, 2006, 02:24 AM

I don't see how everyone having MBPs in stock is a sign that they're going to be updated.
Linkinus is king.

thiagofll  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 1, 2006, 03:07 AM

Originally Posted by brokenjago
I don't see how everyone having MBPs in stock is a sign that they're going to be updated.
Correct me if I am wrong, but I thought resellers would receive a type of a warning from the Apple when the model is about to be updated....
[FONT="Trebuchet MS"]My Gadgets: 24" iMac Core 2 Duo, 4GB DDR2 RAM, Wireless Mighty Mouse // MacBook Pro 17" 2.44Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo, 160GB HD, 4GB RAM / 8GB Apple iPhone/ JBL Spot/ Canon SD850 w/ 4GB Card/ Canon XTi Rebel Black.[/FONT]

RevEvs
Mac Elite
Oct 1, 2006, 06:30 AM

Originally Posted by thiagofll
Correct me if I am wrong, but I thought resellers would receive a type of a warning from the Apple when the model is about to be updated....
nope, apple arent that helpful
I free'd my mind... now it won't come back.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Oct 1, 2006, 03:18 PM

Retailers get no advance warning.

However, hardly any retailers have any MacBook Pros whatsoever in stock at the moment. That could be a hint.

(MacBooks, however, seem to be in plentiful supply.)

dmcnickle
Senior User
Oct 2, 2006, 06:54 PM

The Apple Online store still lists the MacBook Pro as shipping within 24 hours. Usually they list a slight delay.

I need order a MacBook Pro real soon for my photography work. I am holding out just a little bit to see if they get the keyboard from the MacBook. Hopefully something will be released real soon.

zaghahzag
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 2, 2006, 08:24 PM

uh.. mbps have had a 24 hour shipping from the apple store for like 2 months.

brokenjago
Mac Elite
Oct 2, 2006, 08:37 PM

I think he means that usually they list a slight delay immediately before releasing a new revision.
Linkinus is king.


Oct 2, 2006, 09:00 PM

Amazon shouldn't know ahead of time... they are doing this just to raise speculation
-

zaghahzag
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 2, 2006, 09:43 PM

I think he means that usually they list a slight delay immediately before releasing a new revision.
oh. my bad.

brod(d)ers
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 2, 2006, 10:37 PM

Truth is, as many have said, there is really no telling when the new macbooks will be released. Anyways the Core 2 quad is the processor worth waiting for. The merom processor does not really give impressively faster performance. The difference between the G4 and the intel processors was worth waiting for, and the next real step will be the core 2 quad from what i hear (IMHO). Unless you're doing HD video editing, or some pretty intense programming, the benifet is not going to be great... And even then, really you would need the power of the macPro.

If all you're doing is writing emails, watching movies or listening to music, then waiting for the Core 2 Duo is a waste of time from my point of view.

The current macbook series is plenty powerful enough for most* users.

Just my 2 cents worth

sieb
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 3, 2006, 02:36 AM

Maybe they will just be a new rev that isn't broken... I believe the Meroms will be a silent upgrade, nothing publicized. Apples site still says 24hours and that's usually the first place to notice a delay before a new rev.
Sieb
Blackbook
(2Ghz, 2GB, 100Gig, week 21)

analogika
Posting Junkie
Oct 3, 2006, 03:48 AM

Well, if no retailers have them in stock, but Apple's site is back to 24 hours...it's Tuesday today, so that could mean updates today.

Karpfish
Forum Regular
Oct 3, 2006, 06:51 AM

Can we wait a few hours to see if it comes today>

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 3, 2006, 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by Karpfish
Can we wait a few hours to see if it comes today>
No.

"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 3, 2006, 09:06 AM

this is interesting - a stock MBP ships in 24hrs, but adding a USB modem extends it to 2-3 days.
Those custom mods must really take time to install. :/
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

salaryman
Oct 3, 2006, 10:16 AM

5 days on the UK store for a custom MBP. I'm convinced there's going to be new MBPs on October 10th*. If not I'm going to buy one anyway - can't wait any longer!

* 7th October is when the iPod deal ends and there have been loads of software updates in the last few weeks, which seems to always precede any hardware update

mduckwor
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 3, 2006, 06:36 PM

The Mac Store ppl told me that it will be before the holiday buying season and in fact they're expecting it to be this week or next week.

tracheopterix
Forum Regular
Oct 3, 2006, 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by mduckwor
The Mac Store ppl told me that it will be before the holiday buying season and in fact they're expecting it to be this week or next week.
What evidence do they have to support this? Is it just their personal feelings or has there been word? Also, what store did you go to/call?

thag-simmons
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 3, 2006, 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by brod(d)ers
Truth is, as many have said, there is really no telling when the new macbooks will be released. Anyways the Core 2 quad is the processor worth waiting for. The merom processor does not really give impressively faster performance. The difference between the G4 and the intel processors was worth waiting for, and the next real step will be the core 2 quad from what i hear (IMHO). Unless you're doing HD video editing, or some pretty intense programming, the benifet is not going to be great... And even then, really you would need the power of the macPro.
The Quad core chips will be in the Conroe and Woodcrest lines (Core 2 Duo desktop and Xeon workstation). There are no quad core chips planned for notebooks for a long time.

Apple will have to switch MacBook Pro to Merom eventually. There is no other choice. The only question is when.

SEkker
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 3, 2006, 11:09 PM

recent article suggests the core 2 duo mobile chips are only 7% faster than similarly clocked core duo chips while using the same amount of power.

If that's really true, then Apple has some time to wait for a real speed bump -- maybe for the second generation of slightly faster clocked core 2 chips from Intel.

I really think we're at the incremental stage of things hardware-wise. The next meaningful productivity increase will be with universal apps like photoshop and office, not a 10% faster CPU.

hldan
Mac Elite
Oct 3, 2006, 11:33 PM

Originally Posted by SEkker
recent article suggests the core 2 duo mobile chips are only 7% faster than similarly clocked core duo chips while using the same amount of power.

If that's really true, then Apple has some time to wait for a real speed bump -- maybe for the second generation of slightly faster clocked core 2 chips from Intel.

I really think we're at the incremental stage of things hardware-wise. The next meaningful productivity increase will be with universal apps like photoshop and office, not a 10% faster CPU.
It's not about speed when it comes to the Core 2's it's about efficiency. These new chips are suppose to run cooler with an increase in battery life. All the Intel Macs are fast now, this speed thing is no longer a problem like it used to be and Macs no longer have a reputation of being slower, so now it's all about efficiency.

Vista on the other hand will have speed issues because the OS is so bloated and it's not made for Intel like OSX is.
iMac 24" 2.8 Ghz Core 2 Extreme
500GB HDD
4GB Ram
Proud new Owner!

brokenjago
Mac Elite
Oct 3, 2006, 11:47 PM

Originally Posted by hldan
It's not about speed when it comes to the Core 2's it's about efficiency. These new chips are suppose to run cooler with an increase in battery life.
I am consistently baffled as to where people get this completely erroneous information.

The mobile variant of Core 2 Duo (Merom) does not run any cooler and does not use any less power. It's supposed to use the same amount of power and generate the same amount of heat as Core Duo (Yonah) while delivering up to 20% in performance gains.

Originally Posted by hldan
Vista on the other hand will have speed issues because the OS is so bloated and it's not made for Intel like OSX is.
And what, pray tell, is Vista optimized for? The PowerPC? Vista will have performance issues, but not because it's "not optimized for Intel like OSX [sic] is."

I don't think people are waiting for Core 2 Duo revisions of the MBP for Core 2 Duo alone - I imagine most people are also hoping to see things like a magnetic latch, user upgradeable HD, MB keyboard layout, etc.
Linkinus is king.

justinkim
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 3, 2006, 11:49 PM

There's a fair amount of truth here. However, the top end of both Yonah and Merom clock out at 2.33GHz. For me, it's worth waiting a few weeks to see if Apple will rev the processor to a higher speed. I'll probably not upgrade again for a few years, so I want to get as much machine as I can when I buy next.

Andy8
Mac Elite
Oct 4, 2006, 12:12 AM

Originally Posted by dmcnickle
The Apple Online store still lists the MacBook Pro as shipping within 24 hours. Usually they list a slight delay.

I need order a MacBook Pro real soon for my photography work. I am holding out just a little bit to see if they get the keyboard from the MacBook. Hopefully something will be released real soon.
Why would they use the Macbook style keyboard in a MacBook Pro?

glhart
Oct 4, 2006, 11:59 AM

I remember a friend telling me he would upgrade his computer when a new one was 4 times faster than the old one. I have a Powerbook 15 1.67, 7200 HD, 2 gigs RAM, and it seems to me for most things, the MBP isn't even twice as fast. In any event, I'm taking my friend's advice and waiting. Looks like I may have to wait a long time. Besides, I DO use the FW 800. I don't think the Merom or Yonah will make a lot of difference, though I WOULD be tempted if Apple came out with an ultralight machine. That would be a lot more interesting than a slight speed bump.

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Oct 4, 2006, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by glhart
I remember a friend telling me he would upgrade his computer when a new one was 4 times faster than the old one. I have a Powerbook 15 1.67, 7200 HD, 2 gigs RAM, and it seems to me for most things, the MBP isn't even twice as fast...
That sounds reasonable, but in my experience since the 128k Macs overall speed per se has never been the actual reason for upgrading. Typically architectural changes like connectivity become compelling, or the latest version of an app important to the user runs poorly or not at all on the legacy box.

In the current instance, Adobe apps will probably drive MacIntel sales as we approach the release of UB CS3 in Q2 2007. Until we reach CS3 Adobe apps on PBs perform about the same as on MBPs. Similarly, the architecural difference that allows Boot Camp usage drives MacIntel sales for folks who need PC emulation.

Today Aperture (marginal on the best of Powerbook G4s, unacceptable on all stock G4/G5 towers) drives MacIntel purchasing for folks that use Aperture. Aperture is the killer app for pro DSLR photogs and runs well on any pro MacIntel box, incuding laptops.

Personally I await Merom MBPs not for the speed but for the true 64 bit architecture and for the likely added hard drive capacity, FW800, faster Superdrives, etc. The wait is difficult, however, because I do need MacIntel's improved Aperture performance.

-Allen Wicks
( Last edited by SierraDragon; Oct 4, 2006 at 12:35 PM. )

zaghahzag
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 4, 2006, 05:46 PM

the more i learn about 64 bit architecture the less i think it's a big deal. it only matters if the machine has > 2 gigs of ram - which makes it useless for like 99% of the people out there.

franky, when the day comes that a normal surfing/email machine needs more than 2 gigs of ram, that's a sad day, filled with ludicrous amounts of eye candy.

but with that said, i want a laptop that can have > 2 gigs of ram. i'm waiting for that.

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Oct 4, 2006, 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by zaghahzag
the more i learn about 64 bit architecture the less i think it's a big deal. it only matters if the machine has > 2 gigs of ram - which makes it useless for like 99% of the people out there...
IMO graphics users compromise quite a significant market share, not the 1% suggested. Most graphics apps will soon take advantage of more than 2 GB RAM if they do not already. E.g. Photoshop already likes up to 8 GB RAM.

Today 64-bit compliance is irrelevant, but one buys a new box for the future. Since true 64-bit MBPs will be available in a few weeks it makes sense to wait for all the things likely to be part of the Merom boxes.

-Allen Wicks

zaghahzag
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 4, 2006, 06:27 PM

yeah but then what if it's like the imacs and you're limited to 3 gigs of ram on the motherboard anyway. and with only 2 dimm slots, you're gonna be hard pressed to get > 4 gigs in there for the forseeable future.

i should add that i'm currently waiting for the next gen machine. so i agree.. i just don't think 64 bit is any kind of a selling point for this next gen laptop, when they have a motherboard that supports > 3 gigs of ram it will be different.

dmcnickle
Senior User
Oct 4, 2006, 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by Andy8
Why would they use the Macbook style keyboard in a MacBook Pro?

I happen to like the keyboard in the MacBook. It feels more stable than the usual notebook type keyboard.

brokenjago
Mac Elite
Oct 4, 2006, 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by zaghahzag
yeah but then what if it's like the imacs and you're limited to 3 gigs of ram on the motherboard anyway.
That's not going to be a what if. it's a near certainty.
Linkinus is king.

pyrite
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 4, 2006, 08:18 PM

hurry the hell up the C2D... i sold my powerbook a week ago in anticipation!! and for those of you who are debating the advantage of C2D, its faster, it's 64-bit, they're gonna take more ram... how is it not worth the wait on these points alone?
Hear and download my debut EP 'Ice Pictures' for free here

zaghahzag
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 4, 2006, 08:30 PM

That's not going to be a what if. it's a near certainty.
yeah that's what i mean.. whats the point of 64 bit, if you only have 3 gigs of ram.

not that i'm against merom.. all signs point to like 5-20% faster and some improvement on battery life.. not to mention the magnetic latch and whatever other improvements apple might add.

but the fact remains, this next 64 bit laptop will be the first one and it will basically suck compared to the next one simply because of the 3 gig ram limit.

atc ben
Oct 4, 2006, 09:01 PM

Apple must have something bigger than Merom coming to have not just dropped this new chip in already. That's what I'm waiting for. And who knows, if the update doesn't pan out to be any big deal, I may end up getting a 24" iMac, and holding off on a MBP until Leopard arrives.
-Ben- 15" Macbook Pro 2.33, 2GB RAM, 160HD, Matte
My

brokenjago
Mac Elite
Oct 4, 2006, 09:21 PM

they're gonna take more ram...
At the point in time, one of the only advantages to 64 Bit is it's ability to manage more than 4 GB RAM. Since the max you can put in an MBP right now is 4 GB (with only 3 GB being detected.) The 64 bit argument is moot. And they won't be taking more RAM, they'll be taking the same.
Linkinus is king.

aaronmarks
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 5, 2006, 03:00 AM

Crucial charges like $1500 right now for just 1 DDR667 SO-DIMM that is 2GB. 4GB to put in a laptop would be $3000. That is absolutely insane considering it's more than the cost of a 17" MBP

stonneway
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 5, 2006, 03:20 AM

I ordered a CTO MBP 17" from the apple UK site on the 3rd October or there abouts, as it said 3 day delivery.

As soon as the order was placed the delivery date jumped to the 12th October.

I'd been holding out for maybe 2 months for the C2D MBP's simply because I like to get the most hardware for my money. In the end I realised that another day of using this old PB would a day too much and I just had to order a new one.

It would be nice if my MBP arrived with a shiny C2D processor in it, but frankly I will be just as happy if it arrives without it.

And besides, if its the standard CD processor, then it gives me something to buy next year

hldan
Mac Elite
Oct 5, 2006, 03:51 AM

I am consistently baffled as to where people get this completely erroneous information.

And what, pray tell, is Vista optimized for? The PowerPC? Vista will have performance issues, but not because it's "not optimized for Intel like OSX [sic] is."
Um, Vista is quite bloated with more features and graphics than underlying code as OSX is. OSX is not just about the aqua graphics and new preventive pop windows as is the case with Vista which brings me to my point. Windows works perfectly with Intel but even with XP's graphics enhancements older PC's run better with the eye candy shut off and now with Vista even some of the latest PC's are only Vista Capable and more of the higher end PC's are Vista Premium Ready. You can't even run Vista to the fullest on an average PC without the machine slowing way down and some features will just not work.
This is nearly the same situation that Apple ran into when with OSX for the first couple of years. OSX had not seen the light of speed until the G5's but at least most older Macs could still run OSX without losing features.
At this point Apple will have the gain on speed against Vista when Vista arrives. And if you think the Core Duo and Xeon chips run great with OSX now wait until Leopard goes against Vista.
iMac 24" 2.8 Ghz Core 2 Extreme
500GB HDD
4GB Ram
Proud new Owner!

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Oct 5, 2006, 04:14 AM

At the point in time, one of the only advantages to 64 Bit is it's ability to manage more than 4 GB RAM. Since the max you can put in an MBP right now is 4 GB (with only 3 GB being detected.) The 64 bit argument is moot. And they won't be taking more RAM, they'll be taking the same.
Perhaps I am the only person here who considers that any new box is about the future rather than today. It is not about "[this] point in time," it is about 2007-08-09.

-Allen Wicks

stonneway
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 5, 2006, 04:41 AM

I agree for the most part. In this instance I've been hanging on so long my PB is held together with chewing gum. Saying that, Apple laptops hold their resale value enough that its worth me selling mine next year when a new one comers out

radii_22
Oct 5, 2006, 07:08 AM

I would like to hear... What's the point with the MB keyboard? I think it is nice, but I don't know how it could be better or more desirable than the actual MBP keyboard... I find its keys a litte bit small for tasks as programming...

Best regards
--->>> Karate is only for defense

analogika
Posting Junkie
Oct 5, 2006, 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by dmcnickle
I happen to like the keyboard in the MacBook. It feels more stable than the usual notebook type keyboard.
That much is true. But the MacBook PRO/Powerbook keyboard is not even *nearly* the "usual notebook type keyboard".

I haven't spent enough time on the MacBook yet to finally decide how it holds up to the Powerbook keyboards, but those are damn hard to one-up; they're that good, IMO.

Elektrix
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 5, 2006, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by radii_22
I would like to hear... What's the point with the MB keyboard? I think it is nice, but I don't know how it could be better or more desirable than the actual MBP keyboard... I find its keys a litte bit small for tasks as programming...

Best regards
I think that's more of an optical illusion, really. If you look carefully at a MacBook and MacBook Pro side-by-side, you'll see the actual keys themselves are pretty m uch the same size..... the only difference is that you have larger gaps between each keys with the MacBook keyboard, which sort of makes it look like the keys are smaller or something.

-Elektrix

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Oct 5, 2006, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by aaronmarks
Crucial charges like $1500 right now for just 1 DDR667 SO-DIMM that is 2GB. 4GB to put in a laptop would be $3000. That is absolutely insane considering it's more than the cost of a 17" MBP
Umm, sorry but you are seeing the wrong RAM. Apple's CTO price for maxxing to 2 GB of MBP RAM is add US$300. Crucial sells a 2-GB kit for MBPs for US$389.

My guess is you looked at Mac Pro RAM. Personally I buy RAM from OWC, and 2x2 = 4 GB ECC RAM kits for Mac Pro boxes are running about US$1000.

-Allen Wicks

shecky
Oct 5, 2006, 12:33 PM

i think he is talking about a SINGLE 2GB stick, not 2x1GB

2GB DDR2 PC2-5300 upgrades from Crucial.com

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Oct 5, 2006, 01:32 PM

...And they won't be taking more RAM, they'll be taking the same.
The RAM issue is extremely important to pro graphics users. Is there a particular reason that you believe that no increase in addressable RAM could be part of the featureset of any of the upcoming pro Merom laptops?

-Allen Wicks

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Oct 5, 2006, 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by shecky
i think he is talking about a SINGLE 2GB stick, not 2x1GB
2GB DDR2 PC2-5300 upgrades from Crucial.com
That makes sense, but such pricing probably is not all that relevant since pricing of 2 GB sized modules for MBPs will be in pairs (2x2) and entirely different if part or all of the MBP line evolves to access more RAM.

-Allen Wicks

bimmerkid
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 13, 2006, 12:55 AM

Lets not rush Apple... They're known to push products early and do a bad job... hence the rev a, b, and c logic boards on the Macbook pros that whine, overheat, or fail completely. If they come out with the Core 2 Duos on the macbook pros, just cross your fingers that the temp doesn't reach 200˚F. I just hope they realize what they'll be loosing when releasing unfinished products.

Forum Links
Forum Rules