Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Can I disable multiple finder windows?

Can I disable multiple finder windows?
iMacguy
Jan 14, 2000, 08:14 PM

I'm sort of new so sorry if this gets asked and answered many times over. Is there a way to open up only one window when searching through files in the finder? My screen gets cluttered once I get in there really deep. I already know about the "list view" option but I prefer the "icon view".
Thanks
"These are not the droids you're looking for"

wlonh
Professional Poster
Jan 14, 2000, 08:21 PM

just hold down the 'option' key while you drill down thru folders, and each window you leave behind will close...
also, you can hold down the 'command' key and click and hold on the name of an open window at the top of that window, and a drop-down menu will apear so that you can navigate to another file/folder... or you can download "Navi iRae", a free bit of softwwware that will alow you to just click and hold on a window's name without holding the command key down to get the drop-menu...

navi irae here:
http://www.geocities.com/SiliconVall...3/Navi-165.sit

l008com
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 18, 2000, 08:51 PM

You can also double click on a folder and hold the second click, to navigate through folders. I can't explain it but just give it a try and you'll see. You know you've done it right when the cursur turns into a magnifying glass.

disectamac
Mac Elite
Jan 18, 2000, 09:47 PM

Wlonh,
drilling through folders with the option key just about sums it up for me, thats the way I get around the desktop. I couldn't help but to laugh though, don't ya hate it when you get like 16 folder deep and then open the wrong one. lol

it happens to me all the time.

Patrick
Mac Elite
Jan 19, 2000, 01:41 PM

I saw in a preview of MacOS X at Macworld that this next system will have the option of opening all folders in the same window, sort of like a web browser.

By the way, that magnifying glass trick was pretty neat. Always cool to find hidden tricks like these.

slboett
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 19, 2000, 04:30 PM

Actually, you can use the space bar when clicking on folders/volumes and it will open the subfolders immediately! Go down as deep as you like and the previous windows will close behind you.
It's not a normal click. Click once and "hold" the second click.

Scott

wlonh
Professional Poster
Jan 19, 2000, 06:08 PM

slboett, that trick does not even sorta-kinda-maybe-a-little- bit work on my Mac... a G3 rev2 beige mini running OS9... what does work is a click then again quickly click and hold, you get the little magnifying glass...

also I use FinderPop and take it for granted that most folks do... that thing has more tricks than Copperfield.

tadd
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 21, 2000, 10:43 PM

So... you can go down into your folders by option double clicking on folders, and that opens up the next folder while closing the one behind you.

You can go back up by command option click-holding on the title bar. That fixes the navigation screwup disectamac indicated.

Another important thing is that you can option click the 'close' box on any finder window and it closes ALL of the finder windows at once. that's a sure fire way of removing clutter!

------------------
Tadd Torborg

Forum Links
Forum Rules