Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > 156 Year Old Man Found: Scientists Perplexed

156 Year Old Man Found: Scientists Perplexed
freudling
Banned
Oct 5, 2006, 05:46 PM

Ok, sorry, it is not true. BUT, what are some of the best approaches to combatting aging. Theories...

I know about telemere technology, essentially preserving the DNA so when a cell divides, the cell's DNA does not lose any of its genetic material, as it normally does.

Then there is freezing. Check out Alcor:

Cryonics: Alcor Life Extension Foundation
( Last edited by freudling; Oct 5, 2006 at 05:54 PM. )

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 5, 2006, 05:53 PM

Don't smoke, eat healthy, don't get fat.

"She's gone from suck to blow!"

sek929
Posting Junkie
Oct 5, 2006, 05:58 PM

Above all those three I'd say drive safely is number one.

But telemere tech raises some interesting questions.

Such as, perhaps we are supposed to die as to not create a ludicrous situation where great-great grandparents become the norm.

Calimus
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 5, 2006, 06:03 PM

If you don't have the genes, you're pretty much screwed. The difference between fat slob vs healthy excercise lifestyle really will only give you +/- 5 years, where as the difference between living to 70 or 100 is way more about your genetics.

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 5, 2006, 06:11 PM

Which is more reason for old men in their 90s to bone the hottest chicks they can find

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 5, 2006, 07:41 PM

If we start living too much longer we're going to have a seriously messed up population problem on Earth. Resources will be stretched thin. We'll spread out into untouched country, wiping out many ecosystems in the process. Thats just the obvious stuff.

After we find a new planet to inhabit, we can start living to 150 or so. Until then, screw that idea. Keep dying around 70 or so and only have 2 or so children and we'll be OK.

amsalpemkcus
Mac Elite
Oct 5, 2006, 11:07 PM

You never really die, all your molecules or atoms get a new life.

invisibleX
Mac Elite
Oct 6, 2006, 12:00 AM

Originally Posted by ::maroma::
If we start living too much longer we're going to have a seriously messed up population problem on Earth. Resources will be stretched thin. We'll spread out into untouched country, wiping out many ecosystems in the process. Thats just the obvious stuff.

After we find a new planet to inhabit, we can start living to 150 or so. Until then, screw that idea. Keep dying around 70 or so and only have 2 or so children and we'll be OK.
We probably won't be "ok" but I'm sure a balance will be struck. If we live too long and can't support ourselves we will die. The land will recover and thanks to cultural amnesia we'll probably do the same thing again.

I'll die at some point. How long I actually live doesn't really matter. Enjoying life (at least for me) isn't cumulative.
-"I don't believe in God. "
"That doesn't matter. He believes in you."

-"I'm not agnostic. Just nonpartisan. Theological Switzerland, that's me."

JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
Oct 6, 2006, 01:09 AM

I'd rather enjoy life for 50 year, than live for 100 being miserable.

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 6, 2006, 01:27 AM

I believe the biggest killer is heart disease. Then cancer. Cancer is interesting, because this ridiculous "telomere tech" you guys brought up would significantly increase your risk of cancer. You know, if "telomere tech" existed.

Nicko
Professional Poster
Oct 6, 2006, 03:23 AM

Originally Posted by freudling
Ok, sorry, it is not true. BUT, what are some of the best approaches to combatting aging. Theories...

I know about telemere technology, essentially preserving the DNA so when a cell divides, the cell's DNA does not lose any of its genetic material, as it normally does.

Then there is freezing. Check out Alcor:

Cryonics: Alcor Life Extension Foundation
I read a few years ago somewhere that it only costs about $100,000 to freeze your head.

marden
Baninated
Oct 6, 2006, 06:41 AM

Originally Posted by sek929
Above all those three I'd say drive safely is number one.

But telemere tech raises some interesting questions.

Such as, perhaps we are supposed to die as to not create a ludicrous situation where great-great grandparents become the norm.
That kind of thinking suggests the kind of thought from less sophisticated eras. Speaking of which, by their early 20's most Bronze Agers were pushing up daisies.
BRONZE AGE MAN: Ug! Me no want ludicrous situation 30-somethings having babies is norm. Ug!
Homo sapiens live on average 37 years in Zambia and on average 81 years in Japan. The oldest confirmed recorded age for any human is 122 years, though some people are reported to have lived longer. The following information is derived from the Encyclopaedia Britannica, 1961:

Humans by Era Average Lifespan (years) Comment

Neanderthal 20 Neanderthal is actually a different species from modern humans but is still considered to be a hominid

Upper Paleolithic 33 33 at birth; upon reaching age 15: 54[2][3][4]

Neolithic 20

Bronze Age 18[5]

Classical Greece 28

Classical Rome 28

Medieval Britain 33

End of 19th Century 37

Early 20th Century 50

Current 80

Present day "non-civilized" native groups 34
Likely extending back in time significantly, since their lives have not changed significantly. At birth: 34 At age 15: 54 At age 50: 67 [6][7]
Life expectancy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
( Last edited by marden; Oct 6, 2006 at 06:50 AM. )

alligator
Mac Elite
Oct 6, 2006, 08:42 AM

To live the longest? Don't post fake thread titles around here.

mac128k-1984
Mac Elite
Oct 6, 2006, 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by Dark Helmet
Don't smoke, eat healthy, don't get fat.
I think its a crap shoot. Look at those people who make it beyond a century. Invarably a news reporter will ask what was their "secret" and I recall some having said that they smoke a cigar every day, or some other habit that is now considerd unhealthy.

I forget his name but there was a famous runner who died suddenly, here was a person who took great care of what entered his body and made sure he exercised and boom dropped dead.

bottom line: When its your time its your time.
Michael

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Oct 6, 2006, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by marden
That kind of thinking suggests the kind of thought from less sophisticated eras. Speaking of which, by their early 20's most Bronze Agers were pushing up daisies.
That is not really correct.

The "average" life span includes those who die as babies and young kids. Lots of dying babies at that time, but Bronze Agers still often lived until age 80 or whatever.

From your own link:

"The low level of pre-modern life expectancy is distorted by the previous extremely high infant and childhood mortality. If a person did make it to the age of forty they had an average of another twenty years to live. Improvements in medicine, public health, and nutrition have therefore mainly increased the numbers of people living beyond childhood, with less effect on overall average lifespan."

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Oct 6, 2006, 02:39 PM

What we need to do (and what is actually happening) is to find out which genes are responsible for producing which enzymes and prevent degenerative disabilities. Theoretically it'd be possible to maintain an age of, say, 35 indefinitely. You can "trick" the brain into thinking it's still in a development cycle by recoding some of the genes and enabling/disabling parts of chromosomes. This would ensure that the right chemicals, cells, and instructions are still being provided to help repair and manage the human body.

The only thing you'd have to worry about is general ware and tare on organs. Organ transplanting would have to evolve equally with slowing/stopping aging.

Possible side effects would be various forms of psychosis. The body isn't intended to live for 300 years, would a person be able to mentally cope with the situation?
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Oct 6, 2006, 02:45 PM

Not to mention overpopulation.

marden
Baninated
Oct 6, 2006, 04:31 PM

I've heard this Dead Doctors Don't Lie tape and it is fascinating and very interesting. Dr. Wallach is very accomplished and very well known. He did a study of where the longest living people on Earth lived and tried to determine what they all had in common to explain why they commonly lived to be 100 or over and he found it was their mineral intake.

He goes on to explain why we don't have the same mineral intake and what ailments, conditions and diseases that causes. (He points out the causes of some physicians' deaths and how minerals could have saved them. That explains the name of the tape.) Then he explains what a good mineral intake will do for us and help us live to a ripe old age as long as we avoid the land mines of smoking, over drinking and things we can control.

Colloidal Minerals:Untold Part of Transcript of the ORIGINAL "Dead Doctors Don't Lie!" tape by Doctor Wallach!

Doctor Joel Wallach

"The Famous Missing 2 Minutes"
Portions A or B Have Been Edited out by some companies.
"Are these Colloidal Minerals important? You bet your life they're important and every time you don't take them in every day, you're chopping off a few hours or a few days of your life. Okay. Now most people are not going to go to Hunza or Tibet or Titicaca because we don't have Kenmore kitchens there or even Saturn cars or TV channel changers or electricity. They don't have insulated houses. They don't have central heating or air conditioning. But what they do have is colloidal minerals!

(A) Now, the only place you can get these in the United States is from a Prehistoric Valley in southern Utah, that according to geologists seventy-five million years ago, have sixty to seventy-two minerals in the walls, in the floor of that valley and those trees and the grasses in that valley and that forest took up all the metallic minerals and made colloidal minerals in their tissues. About that time there was a volcanic eruption which entombed that valley with a thin layer of mud and ash, not thick enough or heavy enough to crush or pressurize this into oil or coal. It was very dry in here so it never became fossilized or petrified. Okay. Never became rock. Today, if you put a shaft into this valley, it's still just dried hay. I've bucked a lot of hay bales, so I know what hay looks like. And this stuff is just hay. It's seventy-five million years old hay according to geologists. You can still see the grass and the leaves and the twigs and the pine cones and the bark and so forth. And we grind this plant material up into a flour, very small particle sized flour, just like a good wheat flour and for three to four weeks we soak it in filtered spring water and when it reaches a specific gravity of 3.0. it's very heavy, it has thirty eight grams of this Colloidal Mineral in it per quart or liter and by actual analysis it has sixty Colloidal Minerals in it!

(B) This particular product has been on the market since 1926. It's the only nutritional product on the market that has a legal consent decree from a federal court and an approval from the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services to be harvested and sold as a nutritional supplement. Everybody else who has a vitamin or mineral or 'whatnot' just follows the labeling requirements of the FDA. This is the only one that, in fact, has a federal consent decree to do it because it passed all their tests. It's the only one that has been put to this level of test because it works. People were running around twelve to fifteen years ago saying, "Hey, my arthritis got better." " My diabetes got better." "Early cataracts went away." "My white hair turned black again." "My knee arthritis got better." And so they thought, "Oh, they must be putting cortisone, pretisone, antibiotics or drugs in that stuff." When they examined it for two years, it only had sixty colloidal minerals in it!

HALT!!
Breaker-Breaker -Ten four Good Buddy-Lets go to the Rest of the tape before Barbara Ends and gives Doctor Wallach a Good Hand!!! Higher Ideals and New Vision doesn't give you the

REST OF THE STORY!

Typical 89-96 Minute Ending BARBARA: "Dr. Joel Wallach, would you all give him a big hand." (END OF TAPE.)

Dead Doctors Don't Lie tape by Doctor Wallach-Untold Portion!

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Oct 6, 2006, 04:41 PM

If your in Russia, and a Man, anything over 60 is good!

Forum Links
Forum Rules