Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > FedEx Performance and Speed in Shipping MBPs

FedEx Performance and Speed in Shipping MBPs
ghporter
Administrator
Oct 5, 2006, 09:23 PM

I'm watching my MBP wend its way through FedEx's channels to get to me. I saw it leave Shanghai (after FedEx's cutoff time of course), meander to Anchorage, wander to Indianapolis and then to Memphis, and now it shows that it's "at destination sort facility" here in San Antonio.

My first question is, what SPECIFIC shipping and delivery instructions are being used on CURRENT (like in the last two weeks) MacBook Pros? Do they consider "International Priority Direct Distribution (the "service type for this shipment) a real priority delivery?

Second, I will have someone at home on the "estimated delivery date," but not for the whole day, so I'd like to know if that estimate is particularly good. And third, do I need a specific person to sign, or can I ask my nice neighbor lady to sign for it?

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Oct 5, 2006, 09:33 PM

You officially need someone in your family to sign it, but most UPS men are nice and allow neighbors to sign. Can't wait for your site to be up by the way

brokenjago
Mac Elite
Oct 5, 2006, 11:34 PM

I just had a Fedex shipment shipped to me recently overnight and it was a day late - which, of course, totally defeats the purpose of overnight shipping.

YMMV
Linkinus is king.

spice003
Forum Regular
Oct 6, 2006, 12:06 AM

you know how many times that happend to me. i ordered my macbook pro payed $50 for 2 day got it in 5 days.

ghporter  (op)
Administrator
Oct 6, 2006, 08:10 AM

brokenjago and spice003, if you paid for a service you didn't get, COMPLAIN! Call Apple or whomever and tell them WHEN your premium shipping actually arrived. At least you should get the extra charge for faster shipping refunded.

My shipment now shows "officially" in San Antonio. The times changed overnight-one of those "I scaned the number but pushed the wrong button" things that seems to happen with unpleasant regularity with Apple shipments through FedEx... Anyway, I will have a family member at home at the time the driver is usually in our neighborhood (and at least several hours before and after that), so that's not an issue.

I have talked with FedEx customer service about similar shipments, and they've been quite cooperative. I'm sure that if I contacted them AHEAD OF TIME, they could adjust for a delivery next door, particularly if I had a signed note to that effect waiting for the driver.

imitchellg5, I'm so overwhelmed in school that the web site is going to have to wait a while longer. My son has (been) volunteered to set up the basics for me. He is studying computer security, loves coding in HTML and Java, and should have plenty of time to write the pages I specifically want to start with (stuff to share with MacNN, my classmates, family, etc., plus my very own ".glenn" online storage ) once I get him to stop playing the arcade game emulator games he's discovered. Look for a very conservative, not too busy page in the future-hopefully the NEAR future.

DarwinX
Oct 6, 2006, 10:29 AM

ghporter: Didn't know you were starting a site, must have missed that memo. Sounds cool.

I am also patiently waiting on FedEx to deliver a shiny new iMac. My experience with FedEx is that it usually arrives one day before the estimated latest date of delivery. Your mileage may vary.

brokenjago
Mac Elite
Oct 6, 2006, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by DarwinX
Didn't know you were starting a site, must have missed that memo. Sounds cool.
Ditto
Originally Posted by ghporter
brokenjago and spice003, if you paid for a service you didn't get, COMPLAIN! Call Apple or whomever and tell them WHEN your premium shipping actually arrived. At least you should get the extra charge for faster shipping refunded.
If it was Apple believe me, I would. But I called these pcprogress people and there are absolutely no refund for shipping
Linkinus is king.

ghporter  (op)
Administrator
Oct 6, 2006, 11:42 AM

My site is really protection for my domain name (ghporter.com), and is't currently a single "work in progress" page. I just have a few things for that site to do (I wound up with multiple domains when I set my son's up, so what the heck!).

And believe it or not, my MBP arrived TODAY! Delivered at 8:38 (which is when they tried to deliver my wife's Nano a couple of weeks ago...). It is SO cool! I'm typing on my PC right now, because I'm charging the battery in the MBP. Ultra cool!

ghporter  (op)
Administrator
Oct 6, 2006, 02:29 PM

My MacBook Pro ROCKS!!!!

Yes, I'm happy. Did it show?

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 6, 2006, 05:40 PM

lucky
i despertly need to upgrade, but these dang college bills ya know.

Alex

Forum Links
Forum Rules