Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Ordering an iMac

Ordering an iMac
auero
Oct 5, 2006, 06:15 PM

Okay so I'll be ordering a 24" iMac in the upcoming days (I'm waiting for a little more cash so I can order my mac book with it) and I wanted some advice on what to change/get.

Right now here is what I'll be ordering

iMac, 24-inch, Intel Core 2 Duo
Apple Wireless Keyboard & wireless Mighty Mouse + Mac OS X (US English)
NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GT 256MB SDRAM
Accessory kit
500GB Serial ATA Drive
2GB 667 DDR2 SDRAM - 2x1GB
2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
SuperDrive 8X (DVD+R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)

$2404.00

Yeah, it's pretty maxed out but is it worth it to get the upgraded Intel chip to 2.33GHZ? It's I think another $225.

Is there anything else I should be getting? I'm not sure if I want to buy a TV for my room and I was thinking of getting a tv tuner or something.

Also, do you think this will be enough to handle my tasks? I need to run Photoshop, Quark, mostly design tools (I'm attending the Art Institute for Interactive Media Design) and a little bit of Final Cut Pro, nothing so intense.

bjones211
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 6, 2006, 07:05 AM

I just received my iMac configured exactly like this except with the 2.33 MHz
processor last week. It is a real joy to use. I came from a Dual 2.0 MHz G5
Powermac. This thing is a screamer. Almost silent and cool as a cucumber.

auero  (op)
Oct 6, 2006, 07:36 AM

Really? Thats the same powermac that I had, haha.

quiklee
Senior User
Oct 6, 2006, 03:44 PM

i'd say you could save money on the hard drive since Western Digital is selling a Firewire External 500GB Drive for $140 on Amazon . . .
I am part of Lakers Nation and love to buy Used Golf Clubs

auero  (op)
Oct 6, 2006, 03:50 PM

That was a thought I had. I already own a 500GB LaCie drive and it's all great but one thing I found with my powermac was that I didn't have nearly enough space (160GB).

I'm probably going to pick up another 500gb since my lacie is filled.

iMacfan
Senior User
Oct 6, 2006, 04:11 PM

I bought the 2.33, because I wanted it, and the bragging rights/knowing I had 'the best'. However, there's no way the extra money can be justified in a business sense - if you really need the extra power, a Mac pro is much better value. Having said that, the iMac boots in under 20 seconds, so looong to wait...

David
http://www.ppconmac.com - Mac compatability for your PocketPC!

fk51785
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 6, 2006, 05:23 PM

I have 20 inch 2.16ic2d with 1000ram and 250hd
I absolutely love it.
Just make sure you get wireless keyboard & mouse.

selowitch
Mac Elite
Oct 6, 2006, 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by fk51785
Just make sure you get wireless keyboard & mouse.
What the heck for? I've never seen much utility in wireless peripherals for a machine that is deskbound anyway. What's the advantage? Who needs problems with lag, signal strength, battery power, and interference unless one is using a laptop?

auero  (op)
Oct 6, 2006, 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by iMacfan
I bought the 2.33, because I wanted it, and the bragging rights/knowing I had 'the best'. However, there's no way the extra money can be justified in a business sense - if you really need the extra power, a Mac pro is much better value. Having said that, the iMac boots in under 20 seconds, so looong to wait...

David
Well here is the thing, I'm in school and I'm going to be using photoshop a MAJORITY of the time. Yes I know it's not universal yet but still, I don't think a mac pro is necessary. I plan on getting rid of it anyway in a year or two when I graduate and start a REAL job.

I had a Powermac G5 and I never used it to it's full potential. I used photoshop on it and other than that it was web, chat, etc.

Another downside to a mac pro is that I'd have to purchase a display, and spend more money on upgrades. Hopefully this is the right choice. I'm still not sure about the iMac CPU upgrade. I don't see it worth it except for bragging rights and to be on top.

quiklee
Senior User
Oct 6, 2006, 07:14 PM

where should I get a 24 inch 2.16 with the only upgrade to 2GB of Ram? I've looked on MacMall and Apple so far . . . 2019 and 2057 respectively . . . . .
I am part of Lakers Nation and love to buy Used Golf Clubs

auero  (op)
Oct 7, 2006, 01:35 AM

I figure that for the price of the mac pro, I can buy 2 iMacs, or upgrade in a year or so if I really need it. Still can't decide on that 2.33 =\

brokenjago
Mac Elite
Oct 7, 2006, 11:47 AM

Don't get the 2.33

Pointless for how much they're charging you.
Linkinus is king.

auero  (op)
Oct 7, 2006, 12:54 PM

I'm at the apple store right now and seriously debating on grabbing a 30" with a stock mac pro... haha.

CreepDogg
Mac Elite
Oct 7, 2006, 05:37 PM

Yeah - FWIW I got the 20" with the 2.16. I couldn't justify US$250 for 167MHz. Coming from a 1GHz G4 - the 2.16 screams. I spent the money on 2GB RAM and 256 VRAM instead - think it's a better investment.

I definitely wouldn't get the 2.33 with the 20" -- it's more than 15% of the cost of the whole machine! It's a little better on the 24", but still a lot IMO.

auero  (op)
Oct 7, 2006, 09:46 PM

Looks like I'll be getting the 2.16 and all the other upgrades. I just bought a black macbook so anything else is out of the question.

Kinda wish I got white but I'm happy soooo whatever! haha

Sych0
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 8, 2006, 04:27 PM

I originally wanted the 24" with a 7600gt, 2gb ram, 500gb hd and 2.16ghz. I ended up swapping the hd and the chip because i figured i know i can upgrade the hd... Im not sure about the chip. I wanted all the power i could get.

Now tomorrow on my doorstop I should have a 24" imac 7600gt 2gb ram 250gb hd and 2.33 ghz

Oh, and it came to about $2400. I would have totally gone for the mac pro, except the giant screen was really important to me. I only have a 19" 1440x900 lcd right now, and if I opted for the mac pro, id be plunking down another $600-700 for a 23" screen.

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 10, 2006, 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by Sych0
Now tomorrow on my doorstop I should have a 24" imac 7600gt 2gb ram 250gb hd and 2.33 ghz
Thats the exact configuration I will be getting tomorrow on my doorstep! Actually, I had it shipped to my office since I won't be home. So I have to sit at work for half the day and stare at my unopened iMac. It will be hard not to just sneak out of work!

Forum Links
Forum Rules