Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Poll: Eudora or Outlook Express?

Poll: Eudora or Outlook Express?
Jsnuff1
Mac Elite
May 29, 2001, 09:48 PM

So which email client do you guys prefer?

oscar
Grizzled Veteran
May 29, 2001, 10:19 PM

I use Entourage, which is basically OE on steroids, and It's great, can't ask much more from an email client

exa
Grizzled Veteran
May 29, 2001, 10:25 PM

Using OE (5?) now, Entourage is WAAAAYYY too buggy for my use...

yoyo52
Mac Elite
May 29, 2001, 11:47 PM

I used to use Eudora, but stopped because version 5 and greater simply don't work on my G4 (although they do on my other computers). I've gone all over the place looking for a solution, but with no luck. So now I use Entourage, and think it's pretty good. When I'm in X I use mail.app, though, and I have had no problems with it except when the mac.com server is down.

------------------
And that's true too.--Shakespeare, King Lear
And that's true too.--Shakespeare, King Lear

poocat
Mac Elite
May 30, 2001, 12:35 AM

eudora.
simple, small, does the job... and not a dash of m$ in it... that's the way for me!

poocat.
"The supreme irony of life is that hardly anyone gets out of it alive."
-Robert A. Heinlein, Job

Jonnie13
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 30, 2001, 06:19 AM

I have used various versions of just about every email client out there.

I find I like Bare Bones Software's Mailsmith the best. It's filtering capabilities are unmatched and it's GUI is clean and uncluttered.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
May 30, 2001, 06:31 AM

Eudora at home.

At work I use Outlook 2001 (that's not the express version mind you...)

------------------
Erik K. Veland
That's no ordinary rabbit

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

Michael T. Doyle
Forum Regular
May 30, 2001, 10:31 AM

I use Eudora (still using 4.3). I use it to avoid all those mean Outlook viruses. In 4.3 batch-mailing is a bear, but the filters are powerful enough and it's otherwise pretty solid.
Mike Doyle
Chicago, IL

daimoni
Occasionally Quoted
May 30, 2001, 01:18 PM

After using the rest... I've settled on Outlook Express 4.5 which is pretty much the same code base of Claris Emailer - but with some added improvements. I think it's the most "Mac-like" email client out there - even more so than Mail.app in Mac OS X.

I feel that Microsoft pretty much raped OE 5 - my often used contextual controls are missing and they totally screwed up the Preferences controls, etc. in order to make it more "Office-like". Barf. Same goes with Entourage.

Btw, I've been able to sync with my Palm for years via canned AppleScripts that I use with OE 4.5

Note, that I eagerly bought Bare Bones Mailsmith when it came out... but it's way too slow (still!) - and just a little too strange. I'm sorry, I love Bare Bones... but come on guys! What a waste of money.

But if I didn't have so many email accounts (that use IMAP, LDAP, etc.) I think I'd just use Eudora Light 3.03 - it's lean, mean, and does simple things well.

Just my 2�

AppleScript
Forum Regular
May 30, 2001, 01:56 PM

I use the one that is built into Netscape Communicator. I also have a webmail service.

(37)

Hobbes
Mac Enthusiast
May 30, 2001, 02:59 PM

I use Eudora 5.1. Not only is it powerful and loaded with features, but its also safer for individuals who receive, and keep, a lot of mail.

Just surf the forums and you'll find countless individuals who can't get OE to open anymore. Most of the time, its because they receive too much mail, and OE's database gets corrupted. Unfortunately, it happens all to often, due to the fact that OE stores EVERYTHING in one huge database.

Eudora, on the other hand, stores email as text files. So there's little chance of losing your email. I literally have thousands stored, with no problems.

cpatubo
Grizzled Veteran
May 30, 2001, 10:27 PM

I am a loyal Eudora user since v2, I believe.

I like to use Eudora because of its powerful filtering features. I guess I haven't used any other e-mail programs, so I don't know if any other apps have the same capabilties.

I also like how Eudora keeps all the mail in text files. I like the organization of the Eudora folder, too. Easy easy backups.

I think it's great that Eudora comes in three flavors: Free, Sponsored and Paid. I currently use Sponsored, which is all the features of Paid with a small ad in the corner. I was paying full price for Eudora until v5 was released.

My four cents.

power96
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 31, 2001, 12:02 AM

I use Entourage and works pretty fine. Better than Outlook 5a nd less buggy!!

OverclockedHomoSapien
Grizzled Veteran
May 31, 2001, 05:07 AM

I use Mulberry. Simple and effective.
[FONT="book antiqua"]"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be."
- Thomas Jefferson, 1816.[/FONT]

ddiokno
Mac Elite
May 31, 2001, 07:30 AM

Moving to Internet Software....
dave

Forum Links
Forum Rules