Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > IE 7 and Safari

IE 7 and Safari
OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 20, 2006, 05:04 PM

I was playing with the new IE 7 at work today. Not too shabby IMO. One feature it has that I think Safari should jack forthwith is the new QuickTabs view. This may satisfy those of us who prefer Safari's "normal" tabs but lust after the graphical thumbnails of OmniWeb.

http://www.ie-vista.com/images/qtb3.png

OAW
( Last edited by OAW; Oct 21, 2006 at 06:40 PM. )

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Oct 20, 2006, 05:06 PM

Shiira has a similar feature called Tab Exposé.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Horsepoo!!!
Banned
Oct 20, 2006, 05:17 PM

Not the same thing but Safari 3.0 may offer thumbnails on tab mouseover.

ImageShack - Hosting :: picture6eg1.png

I still think IE7 sucks. I hope Firefox and Safari chisel at IE market share so that site developers stop targeting only one browser.

Unfortunately, what I'm seeing a lot of lately is developers targeting TWO browser...IE and Firefox. Fer ****'s sake, devs...stop 'targeting' browsers and write some clean compliant code.

sushiism
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 20, 2006, 05:30 PM

The engine still sucks and it still has the horrible windows font rendering so its not worth my time at all if only for the font reason.

EFFENDI
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 20, 2006, 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by sushiism
The engine still sucks and it still has the horrible windows font rendering so its not worth my time at all if only for the font reason.
I completely agree.
iMac G4 15" 800/512MB/60GB
iMac G5 20" 1.8/768MB/160GB
Mac Mini Core Duo 1.66/2GB/80GB
Mac Pro 2.66/X1900/3GB/3TB /Apple 23" Cinema HD Display

macaframa
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 21, 2006, 01:49 AM

Or try safaristand for its graphical sidebar.

Mediaman_12
Professional Poster
Oct 21, 2006, 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by Horsepoo!!! View Post
Unfortunately, what I'm seeing a lot of lately is developers targeting TWO browser...IE and Firefox. Fer ****'s sake, devs...stop 'targeting' browsers and write some clean compliant code.
It's not that simple, IE6 could have layout problems, even with 100% clean compliant code, so some 'targeting' was necessary, hopefully IE7 will be better in this regard.

Horsepoo!!!
Banned
Oct 21, 2006, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by Mediaman_12 View Post
It's not that simple, IE6 could have layout problems, even with 100% clean compliant code, so some 'targeting' was necessary, hopefully IE7 will be better in this regard.
Oh...layout problems are a pain (and entirely up to how the engine wants to display things) but I can live with that. Compliant code is compliant code...and that means that browsers that follow the rule don't get left in the dark.

Targetting to make layouts work is just bad.

Curiosity
Senior User
Oct 21, 2006, 03:45 PM

Oh...layout problems are a pain (and entirely up to how the engine wants to display things) but I can live with that. Compliant code is compliant code...and that means that browsers that follow the rule don't get left in the dark.

Firefox is strict about compliant code. If people are writing pages for Firefox, that should work for any HTML compliant browser, right?

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 21, 2006, 04:24 PM

Firefox is not "strict". It has a quirks mode like all other browsers.

sushiism
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 21, 2006, 05:16 PM

Never done much web coding where things need to look nearly pixel perfect in all major browsers then have you.

2 versions are a must at the moment unless your lucky, code your first in Firefox or Safari then that version should be fine in FF/Safari and Opera.
Then stick it in IE and start ****ing around with it till you get a version for that then either feed it via php or IE if comments.

Now do an extra version because IE 7 is half way between being correct and being IE 6

Mediaman_12
Professional Poster
Oct 21, 2006, 06:27 PM

Not strictly forum 'on topic' (but as this thread is discussing IE7 available for XP only, it will be canned shortly anyhow).
Any web dev folks who need to test in both 6 & 7 can get a 'standalone' version of 6 from The browser Archive doesn't need installing, just unpack and run.

OAW  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 21, 2006, 06:43 PM

Not the same thing but Safari 3.0 may offer thumbnails on tab mouseover.

ImageShack - Hosting :: picture6eg1.png
Not bad. The only downside to this approach is that you can only see the images one at a time. But pretty slick nevertheless.

OAW

LiquidGuy
Oct 21, 2006, 06:43 PM

Now do an extra version because IE 7 is half way between being correct and being IE 6
I'm a web designer. My job for the past 2 weeks was making sure my employer's websites were IE7 compliant. At most, I've had to do 1-2 hacks (total) across 7 websites. It handles advanced CSS techniques beautifully.

Hate if you must, but IE7's rendering engine is a welcome addition to my workload.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Oct 21, 2006, 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
Shiira has a similar feature called Tab Exposé.

Yeah, I've seen a Firefox extension called something similar too.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Oct 21, 2006, 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by LiquidGuy View Post
I'm a web designer. My job for the past 2 weeks was making sure my employer's websites were IE7 compliant. At most, I've had to do 1-2 hacks (total) across 7 websites. It handles advanced CSS techniques beautifully.

Hate if you must, but IE7's rendering engine is a welcome addition to my workload.

What makes me giggle to think about is that I strongly suspect that they were testing IE 7 in comparison to either Firefox or Safari (or both). Clearly, IE is playing catch up.

Horsepoo!!!
Banned
Oct 21, 2006, 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by sushiism View Post
Never done much web coding where things need to look nearly pixel perfect in all major browsers then have you.

2 versions are a must at the moment unless your lucky, code your first in Firefox or Safari then that version should be fine in FF/Safari and Opera.
Then stick it in IE and start ****ing around with it till you get a version for that then either feed it via php or IE if comments.

The point is that layout problems don't 'break' a website...they're annoying but the browser will display something. When you start targeting platforms/browsers, you're 'breaking' your website because certain browsers will not display anything at all (or display whatever message the developer decided to send to any user not using IE or Firefox.)

Layout problems are the least of my worries and should be the least of developers worries. If a developer decides to lock out users because of layout issues, *that* is bad!

xi_hyperon
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 21, 2006, 11:53 PM

The point is that layout problems don't 'break' a website...they're annoying but the browser will display something. When you start targeting platforms/browsers, you're 'breaking' your website because certain browsers will not display anything at all (or display whatever message the developer decided to send to any user not using IE or Firefox.)

Layout problems are the least of my worries and should be the least of developers worries. If a developer decides to lock out users because of layout issues, *that* is bad!
Much (read 99%) of the time, clients don't give a crap about Firefox, Safari, or any other browser that's not IE 6. They just want a site developed that looks good in IE 6. In such cases, I'll make the site work in IE 6, but I take the extra time to make sure it looks consistent in other browsers too. I won't make a site that's not consistent looking across the board. Unfortunately, that usually means hacks are involved, but I'd rather do that than worry if the site is 100% compliant.

Forum Links
Forum Rules