Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Partitioning HD- to Rptleyob

Partitioning HD- to Rptleyob
newsmac
Dec 19, 1999, 11:10 AM

Start up system, insert OS CD into CD Drive. Go to Apple Menu, to Start up disk, and select the OS CD as the start up disk, then restart the system.
Now your system has booted from the OS CD. Go to the Utilities folder and DBL clik Drive Setup. this will bring up a dialog box with all your disks & drives listed (if you select the CDROM Drive or the OS CD, it will tell you that these disks cannot be initialized!) Select your Hard drive, and clik the INITIALIZE button in the lower left corner. it will then give you a list of options to do a low level format or zero all data, these will take much longer and are NOT required(unless the hard drive itself was physically damaged) so close that box and proceed. Then you will be given the choice of format options, HFS, HFS Plus, and possibly HFS Super or ultra. HFS is compatible with all previous versions of the Mac OS, HFS+ is only compatible with 8.1 & later. So if you will be utilizing floppies, zips or other files made on an older Mac, choose HFS, if not then choose HFS+, since it is the most efficient file system. I dont have a clue as to what the Ultra or Super is, so I skipped it. (I'll have to check into that later). Once you click on INITIALIZE, then the process will start automatically. When it finishes, then you can partition it, and decide on the sizes for each partition, and onto which section to install your OS and other files. Just remember that the HD is now COMPLETELY EMPTY, and you will be starting from scratch. Good Luck, let us know how it goes!! If anyone else on the forum believes I forgot anything, by all means, add in your comments.

[This message has been edited by newsmac (edited 12-19-1999).]

Forum Links
Forum Rules