Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > I may have been hacked (newbie)

I may have been hacked (newbie)
elizavetaka
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 27, 2006, 11:16 AM

hey there

I think my root account may have been hacked. I came in this morning earlier than usual and my tiger was running like crazy - the fan, all that - while there were no visible programs running. It's on a network.

This is apparently the second time this happened because one time recently, my boyfriend came in early, too, and the same thing was happening.

I am only using it for music. Should I activate the firewall?

What do I do? I ran the encryption filevault thing and the mac stopped going crazy with activity.

I had left the mac on the night before.

Please help - I am a newbie at this...

kick52
Baninated
Oct 27, 2006, 04:29 PM

open activity monitor in utilities and see if there is anything taking up the processing power when the fans go like that.

-anyway-

being hacked wouldnt nessicarily make your fan go crazy. crazy fans indcate heavy CPU usage.

PowerPc = Pwnage
Forum Regular
Oct 27, 2006, 05:34 PM

Or a kernal panic..

"Oh! You smell good, what is that? Macintosh."-http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2006/03/03

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Oct 27, 2006, 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by elizavetaka View Post
hey there

I think my root account may have been hacked. I came in this morning earlier than usual and my tiger was running like crazy - the fan, all that - while there were no visible programs running. It's on a network.
Okay, wait a second. There is very little chance that you were hacked, unless you're running some remote login service. It was probably some errant system service that caused your computer to act in that fashion.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

amazing
Professional Poster
Oct 27, 2006, 05:48 PM

Sounds more like a kernel panic.

Still, for security's sake, you should enable "require password to wake from sleep or screen saver" in the Security System Pref. Also, click the padlock in the bottom left corner.

Next, disable "automatically login" in the Accounts System Pref (under "login options", and display the "login window" as only name and password. Yes, you'll have to enter the password and even type in your user name, but you won't have any second thoughts about leaving it running. Be sure that you have a good password, namely something that other people might not have guessed or have seen you enter.

Click the padlock in all the relevant System Prefs, if they aren't already, namely Security, Network, Accounts, File Sharing, Startup Disk.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Oct 27, 2006, 07:44 PM

Also, by default, Root is disabled.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

derekn
Senior User
Oct 27, 2006, 11:43 PM

Were there any thunderstorms either time? Or any indications of a power surge?

I put my G5 to sleep once without checking the weather and a thunderstorm popped up right over my house. Heard a loud crack of thunder and the G5s fans were running at full blast. Hit the power button to try an wake it and got nothing, so the only thing I could do was shut it down.

PowerPc = Pwnage
Forum Regular
Oct 28, 2006, 12:11 AM

The best thing to happen to me since Macintosh:APC - American Power Conversion Saved me hours of re-doing work when others had to, UPS' RULE!

"Oh! You smell good, what is that? Macintosh."-http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2006/03/03

Forum Links
Forum Rules