Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Protecting a Nano 2g - leather, silicon or clear skin?

Protecting a Nano 2g - leather, silicon or clear skin?
ajprice
Professional Poster
Oct 27, 2006, 03:20 PM

I am now the owner of a new aluminium iPod nano (2GB silver). I know that the new aluminium case is a lot more scratch proof than the original nano, but I still want to protect it. I've had a look around at different cases, and it looks like there are 3 basic types, the skin or invisible shield type, silicon or rubber, or leather wallet.

I don't want anything too chunky, that would defeat the object of having such a small player, so I'm starting to dismiss a leather wallet type as an option (and apart from that, the stitching on the Belkin and Marware ones I have seen pictures of looks horrifically bad!).

So that leaves me with an invisible shield skin or a silicon case like an iSkin. I've got a cheap silicon case on my phone, and its fine, and there is a new iSkin just announced for the 2G nano, its a silicon skin with a plastic cover over the front. But its only just released, and to ship it from America would be a lot of £££. And to be honest iSkin is the only decent silicon case I have seen (I have one on my 4g iPod), unless anyone knows of another good rubber case for a nano 2g.

So what is the recommended option, silicon/rubber or a shield skin?

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

tomzo22
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 27, 2006, 03:50 PM

Invisible shield, i reckon that's the best option. cheapest found in the uk is here:
ipod and mp3 accessories

ghporter
Administrator
Oct 27, 2006, 06:16 PM

We're using an iSnug for my wife's 2g Nano. It's great: it adds little bulk to the Nano, and protects it very well. It's not too expensive either.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Josh Reid
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 29, 2006, 12:26 AM

Best Skins Ever Storefront Just put one on my 80GB, same as the invisible shield, 1/3 of the price.

ajprice  (op)
Professional Poster
Oct 29, 2006, 04:36 AM

Went out and got a proporta silicon skin, it has a very thin layer over the wheel and its own lanyard cord. Then cut up a spare pda screen protector to cover the screen. Happy with it so far, hardly any bulkier and easy to grip.

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

robby818
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 29, 2006, 09:35 PM

Silicone case + screen protector. I am using the Apple ones because they are closed on the bottom and the new nano is a bit thinner than the old nano and will slowly slip out of some 3rd party silicone cases that have an open bottom. Amazon has the Appple ones for cheap. I

I use a little piece of invisible shield to protect the screen. I tried the full body protection but didn't like the way it looked.

A clear silicone case over a green nano looks kind of cool.

Forum Links
Forum Rules