Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > anyone ever use a stain touch up marker?

anyone ever use a stain touch up marker?
macfantn
Mac Elite
Oct 30, 2006, 12:06 AM

i have a coffee table that I mostly use for an ottoman and junk collector, the edges are worn from my legs i guess. Was going to touch up with one of those pens, do they work?
"I'm sick of following my dreams. I'm just going to ask them where they're goin', and hook up with them later"

drnkn_stylz
Senior User
Oct 30, 2006, 12:09 PM

Depends on what the material it's made of is. Those markers are for clothes aren't they?
..13" MacBook Pro | 2.53gHz | 4gb RAM | 320gb Seagate Momentus XT | OSX.6.6.. // iPhone 4 32gb

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 30, 2006, 12:23 PM

They work. It's not perfect, but it helps cover up the scratches.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

medicineman
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 30, 2006, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by macfantn View Post
i have a coffee table that I mostly use for an ottoman and junk collector, the edges are worn from my legs i guess. Was going to touch up with one of those pens, do they work?
I've used them. They are basically felt tip markers with an ink color to match the furniture finish. Results are mixed. They are best used for touching up scratches that reach below the finish layer. For worn edges where the wood is almost burnished from use, the results are less than desirable. There is no open wood grain to accept the color. Even a stain is difficult in this area, unless you sand to expose 'fresh' wood.

wolfen
Mac Elite
Oct 30, 2006, 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by macfantn View Post
I think it's clear that the caustic sweat from those legs of yours is going to dissolve anything you apply to the furniture. Think about it -- people in a commercial factory couldn't protect the the damn thing from whatever you're oozing. You think some poor ink pen is going to stand a chance?

Tell you what. Soak up that toxic sludge gurgling out of those gigantic pores and simply apply it to all your furniture's surfaces. Voila! You'll never need to worry about color mismatches again.

We await your next question about how to remove the noxious odor from your furniture. That's for another thread, I'm afraid.
Do you want forgiveness or respect?

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 30, 2006, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by ort888 View Post
They work. It's not perfect, but it helps cover up the scratches.
Yeah, I've used them a few times and they are only as good as the felt tip marker color is. The few I've used have been almost seamless though.

andi*pandi
Oct 30, 2006, 02:32 PM

they work pretty well, worth a shot. start with the lightest color and then add in until it matches.

TubaMuffins
Senior User
Oct 30, 2006, 04:35 PM

in the restaurant biz, they come in nice and handy on the fly for food stains, but mos def not a great permanent fix for sure

Forum Links
Forum Rules