Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Christmas decorations before Halloween

View Poll Results: Christmas decorations up before Halloween?
Poll Options:
Yay! I wish it could be Christmas every day! 3 votes (6.67%)
Nay! Those greedy retail-owners are destroying Christmas 42 votes (93.33%)
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll
Christmas decorations before Halloween
- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Nov 1, 2006, 01:29 AM

The local mall had them up on Friday. My fiance thinks this is awesome and normal. I think it's diluting Christmas. Yay or nay?

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

dreamryche
Forum Regular
Nov 1, 2006, 04:02 AM

Completely ridiculous. It seems that people and businesses put up their stuff earlier every year. Come on...it's still two months away.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Nov 1, 2006, 05:19 AM

Christmas decorations long before Christmas are only put up by stores or commercial enterprises and I don't like them one bit.

Their intentional purpose is to get people to start spending money, but when put up so early they de-sensistize everyone from Christmas months before the actual thing happens!

I don't like going to stores that start putting up decorations in october.

OTOH the Christmast theme stores that sell nothing but Christmas related items all year are fine. They are weird, but fine. In fact they suffice.

I don't need to get any Cristmas decorations from IKEA.

V
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

talisker
Mac Elite
Nov 1, 2006, 06:31 AM

I always thought that in the US shops didn't tend to go all out Christmassy until after Thanksgiving, unlike the UK where it starts appearing from late September onwards. Looks like that may no longer be true.

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Nov 1, 2006, 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by talisker View Post
I always thought that in the US shops didn't tend to go all out Christmassy until after Thanksgiving, unlike the UK where it starts appearing from late September onwards. Looks like that may no longer be true.
I'm afraid so. I've seen one or two stores recently that started putting up Christmas stuff just after Labor Day (first Monday in September).
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

mac128k-1984
Mac Elite
Nov 1, 2006, 07:51 AM

While I probably won't put up any decorations until December, I've seen Christmas decorations in some store since the middle/beginning of September. I'm waiting to see Christmas stuff in August. Stores keep pushing the envelope trying to increase stores but I don't know anyone who has purchased Christmas stuff in september.
Michael

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 1, 2006, 08:12 AM

Nay! It’s annoying, and it dilutes the whole Christmas spirit thing if you have to look at the damn things for three months before Christmas actually gets there. Christmas decorations should be put up for 1 December, no sooner.

Thankfully, though, I haven’t actually seen any Christmas decorations here, yet. I don’t know why, since usually, they’re up there from mid-October—but apparently not this year.

Y3a
Mac Elite
Nov 1, 2006, 10:25 AM

Putting the Christmas Deco behind the Halloween costumes is just to scare you!

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Nov 1, 2006, 10:29 AM

IMO, they shouldn't put Xmas decorations up until the day after Thanksgiving.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

G Barnett
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 1, 2006, 11:06 AM

What? No poll option that simply says, "Ugh??"

BAH!

Salty
Professional Poster
Nov 1, 2006, 03:03 PM

I can't stand the retail Christmas thing. It always feels so damned cheap.

andi*pandi
Nov 1, 2006, 03:20 PM

Day after Thanksgiving first acceptable time to see decorations anywhere except full-time christmas stores. (which you wouldn't go to unless you wanted that sort of thing.)

I went looking for halloween stuff at Target first week of October... the halloween section was decimated, but the Christmas stuff was already out and sparkling and WRONG.

reader50
Administrator
Nov 1, 2006, 03:32 PM

Another vote for Dec 1.

Zeeb
Mac Elite
Nov 1, 2006, 04:26 PM

After Halloween there isn't a whole lot of time to go shopping. I don't like racking up debt on my credit cards within a month. I'm not one of those people that spends the whole year paying off Xmas only to charge it up again. It's better to spread it out over more time--thus early Xmas decorations help me to remember that fact. Why not shop for Xmas stuff in October or even September? Prevents over-spending.

Besides, I believe the movie "The Nightmare Before Christmas" pretty much married Halloween and Christmas in my mind.

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 1, 2006, 06:17 PM

It’s not about spending for Christmas—it’s about the Christmas ‘feel’ that comes (or is supposed to come) from all the hearts and spruce branches and elves and Santas and (fake) snow and other red and green Christmasy hung up in shop windows and on the streets. If you leave all those things all over the place for three months, there’s nothing Christmasy left in them once you actually reach the end of December; it’s just noise.

Rumor
Nov 1, 2006, 06:22 PM

I don't decorate for Christmas. Hell, I don't even celebrate Christmas.
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

andi*pandi
Nov 1, 2006, 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by Oisín View Post
It’s not about spending for Christmas—it’s about the Christmas ‘feel’ that comes (or is supposed to come) from all the hearts and spruce branches and elves and Santas and (fake) snow and other red and green Christmasy hung up in shop windows and on the streets. If you leave all those things all over the place for three months, there’s nothing Christmasy left in them once you actually reach the end of December; it’s just noise.

If I'm buying christmas presents in September, I want to feel like I'm ahead of the game, dammit.

Zeeb
Mac Elite
Nov 1, 2006, 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by Oisín View Post
In truth though don't the Xmas decorations build up over time? The closer we get to Christmas the more decorations there are. For instance, the Christmas lights have been put up by the city already on my block, but they aren't lit yet at night.

I don't put a tree up until after Thanksgiving but I'm not burnt out on it till January 1st when I drag the tree down to the sidewalk. For me I don't get hung up on what is supposed to be the "true" meaning of Xmas -- so therefore retailers have nothing to spoil in it for me. I wish people would just admit that Xmas is all about presents, reindeer, food, presents, family, freinds, and presents. Who is this Jesus guy and why does he have to depress my holiday with poverty in manger? There are plenty of things to be depressed about.

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 1, 2006, 07:57 PM

For me I don't get hung up on what is supposed to be the "true" meaning of Xmas -- so therefore retailers have nothing to spoil in it for me.
For me, it’s mostly the colours: dark red, dark green, and snow white. And some shapes, too, of course: hearts, spruce branches [if you can call that a shape], and cones. These things go together to create an atmosphere that is unerringly Christmas, for me.

I wish people would just admit that Xmas is all about presents, reindeer, food, presents, family, freinds, and presents.
It’s never been about anything else to me (and most other people around here). Though with less emphasis on the presents for those over 10

MOTHERWELL
Senior User
Nov 1, 2006, 08:14 PM

I like the xmas spirit, but I think decorations should be put up after halloween. I say November 10 is a good day to put the lights up. A tree can go up after Thanksgiving.

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 1, 2006, 11:26 PM

I also love the whole Christmas decoration thing. I don't mind they put it up before Halloween.

Railroader
Banned
Nov 2, 2006, 02:01 AM

Originally Posted by voodoo View Post
OTOH the Christmast theme stores that sell nothing but Christmas related items all year are fine. They are weird, but fine. In fact they suffice.
About 1/2 hour from my house:
http://www.bronners.com/

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 2, 2006, 11:39 AM

Anyone who puts it up before Black Friday needs to be put to death.

Oneota
Professional Poster
Nov 2, 2006, 11:37 PM

Ever since I stopped buying into the whole Jeebus thing, I've found Christmas to be an annoying time of year, in general.

I like the warm fuzzies the holidays brings, but the commercial orgy that goes with it just pisses me off.
"Yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation" yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation.

Apfhex
Mac Elite
Nov 3, 2006, 02:12 AM

Xmas decorations should go up after Thanksgiving. One holiday at a time people.
Mac OS X 10.5.0, Mac Pro 2.66GHz/2 GB RAM/X1900 XT, 23" ACD
esdesign

Brien
Professional Poster
Nov 3, 2006, 02:57 AM

They've been up at Wally World and Target for about three weeks now. Lame.

Kevin
Baninated
Nov 3, 2006, 08:13 AM

I say they stop it altogether. We can make our own decorations.

*gets out the dried macaroni and popcorn"

Forum Links
Forum Rules