Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Anyone use Gamefly?

Anyone use Gamefly?
Rumor
Oct 31, 2006, 06:10 PM

I've been using their service for over a year and couldn't be happier. I usually get the game in a day, and almost always in excellent condition. Only once did a game have scratches that made it unplayable.

Anyone else use them?
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

acidpants
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 31, 2006, 06:32 PM

yeah, I use 'em

gamefly's sweet ...wish I had more time to play tho

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 31, 2006, 06:34 PM

I have used it a couple times, and didn't like it. Seems impossible to get newer games and the turnaround time was too long.

Rumor  (op)
Oct 31, 2006, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by itai195 View Post
I have used it a couple times, and didn't like it. Seems impossible to get newer games and the turnaround time was too long.
Really? I live farther from LA than you do and if I drop off a game on Tuesday, I usually have another on Thursday.

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 31, 2006, 06:43 PM

I was surprised too, but it took around a week for me to get a new game from them.

Rumor  (op)
Oct 31, 2006, 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by itai195 View Post
I was surprised too, but it took around a week for me to get a new game from them.
They must be Windows users.

Nodnarb
Mac Elite
Oct 31, 2006, 06:57 PM

I used them, but I live on the east coast and turnaround time was at least a week, usually 2. Actually just cancelled it last month but thinking about restarting it, it's a good service and I guess turnaround time isn't as important as with Netflix.
Hey, 30 a month for a few games beats 60 for one game.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 31, 2006, 07:08 PM

I use them. I'm pleased overall, but their turnaround times are pretty slow for me.

Still, it helps me try out a lot of games without paying $60 or bothering with rental stores.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

Rumor  (op)
Oct 31, 2006, 07:11 PM

If anyone is interested in trying them out, let me know. I'm trying to get five referrals for a free DS.

Calimus
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 31, 2006, 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by Nodnarb View Post
I used them, but I live on the east coast and turnaround time was at least a week, usually 2. Actually just cancelled it last month but thinking about restarting it, it's a good service and I guess turnaround time isn't as important as with Netflix.
Hey, 30 a month for a few games beats 60 for one game.
Who pays more than $40 for a game? heck I haven't bought a game over $30 in years. (buy all my games used, or with special deals)

Nodnarb
Mac Elite
Oct 31, 2006, 07:48 PM

360 games are hard to find for under 50, even with a deal.
Ironically, you can buy them from gamefly "pre-used" for around 40ish.

MaxPower2k3
Mac Elite
Oct 31, 2006, 10:20 PM

I've used them for a year or so. Other than the post office having a bad habit of losing my games (at least 25% of my games have been lost in the mail... GameFly is amazingly understanding, and has not made me pay for any of them yet) the service is good. Occasionally it can take a while to get a really popular game, but otherwise it's decently quick (to the east coast, it's about a 4 day turnaround if they actually get the game back)

"I start fires!"

cSurfr
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 31, 2006, 11:23 PM

I had them for a little while. It took a week, sometimes even longer to get a game to them and back. I personally think if you're running a pay service like they are that they could ship them a little faster, or at least get another distro. (BB and Netflix get movies out in less than 3 days). I sent 2 games back, a week later they weren't received. I emailed their support a few times as well. . . NEVER got back to me. They say 48 hours, and I gave them 4 days. If you can't respond in that length of time, you obviously don't care too much about your customers.
-How pumped would you be driving home from work, knowing someplace in your house there's a monkey you're gonna battle?

MaxPower2k3
Mac Elite
Oct 31, 2006, 11:29 PM

I've had good luck with their support. Also, once in a while (it doesn't seem to be fully implemented yet) I'll send a game back and they'll send the next game the following day. I guess they have a deal with USPS where it tells them the game is on its way back before they get it, so they can get the next one out faster. Definitely speeds things up.

"I start fires!"

Rumor  (op)
Oct 31, 2006, 11:50 PM

IIRC, Netflix and Gamefly have the same parent company.

Nodnarb
Mac Elite
Oct 31, 2006, 11:54 PM

If that's true then why wouldn't gamefly use all of netflix's shipping facilities (isn't it something like over 100) and gamefly uses it's one, based in cali?

Rumor  (op)
Oct 31, 2006, 11:56 PM

Good question. I don't have the answer. I remember when Netflix came out and not too long after came Gamefly. Perhaps I'm assuming they are the same company, but I thought I read it somewhere.

alex_kac
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 1, 2006, 05:05 PM

I use them and love them. I get new games within a day to 2 days (I got SC the day after it was released) here in Leander, TX. My only negative with them is well, ok I can't think of any right now.

Dr Reducto
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 1, 2006, 05:10 PM

I live in Maryland, and canceled because of the incredible turnaround times. It took a week and a half at worse.

Im actually going to try gameznflix which will cost bout 220 for the year (military discount) prepaid for a 6 at a time plan

Tuoder
Mac Elite
Nov 1, 2006, 05:25 PM

I am considering getting gamefly when I get a Wii. Also, it seems to be the only way to rent DS games.

Nodnarb
Mac Elite
Nov 1, 2006, 05:30 PM

Wow 6 at a time??? I tried boosting my 2-plan up to 3, but ended up picking favorites and only playing 1 or 2 when I had time. Couldn't imagine having 6 on hand to constantly change out.

Dr Reducto
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 1, 2006, 05:32 PM

Wow 6 at a time??? I tried boosting my 2-plan up to 3, but ended up picking favorites and only playing 1 or 2 when I had time. Couldn't imagine having 6 on hand to constantly change out.
Well, the advantage is that it's games and movies, so 3+3 would be a good setup

Nodnarb
Mac Elite
Nov 1, 2006, 06:16 PM

Oh ok, that makes more sense. I would be interested to hear about their shipping times as opposed to gamefly/netflix for games/movies respectively, if you end up getting that account, or if anyone else uses it, please let us know.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 1, 2006, 07:14 PM

I thought about switching, but Gamesnflix doesn't carry DS games which was a deal-breaker for me.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

Dr Reducto
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 1, 2006, 11:38 PM

Oh ok, that makes more sense. I would be interested to hear about their shipping times as opposed to gamefly/netflix for games/movies respectively, if you end up getting that account, or if anyone else uses it, please let us know.

The reason I was going to sign up actually was because as opposed to GameFly's 1 distribution center in San Diego, Gameznflix has 8 (and one really close to Wash. DC), and my friends have had killer turnaround times.

So you could definitely look to see if they have a distro center near you

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 2, 2006, 03:04 AM

I recently joined, mostly because the (now expired) $10 off of $30 purchase when using Google Checkout worked with their "Keep it" option, which allowed you to rent just about any game they had and then immediately buy it for $10 off. (You can buy some used games from them even without being a member, but it's only a very limited selection.) I used this to get games like Bully (normally $39.99) for $21.99 + tax, and Vice City Stories for PSP for $27.99 + tax (normally $49.99).

I'm the kind of person who prefers to buy my games rather than renting them (since I like to hang on to games that I like and I can always sell or trade them if I decide I don't like them). So I don't think I'm going to stick with them after this month. Also, shipping is pretty slow. But their used game prices are sometimes pretty good. You can get Chromehounds for Xbox 360 for $29.99 now (even without any discount).

drod
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 9, 2006, 08:53 PM

I had a GameFly account almost two years ago and cancelled it because it was too slow. Recently, though, I needed something to take my mind off studying every once in a while and gaming seemed to be the only thing that could do that -- so I signed up again and found that the service is much, much improved. What used to take a week to arrive (this is DC) now takes usually 3 days because as soon as the post office scans a return, Gamefly send me the next one in my Q. Anyway, point is that they've gotten so much faster recently, they're worth a second try.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 9, 2006, 10:03 PM

Interesting that you should say that, because while the first couple of games I returned seemed to take a long time, I just put my last one in my mailbox for the letter carrier and they apparently scanned it because GameFly sent out the next one about a day later. Much better. So if you do have access to a post office with scanning equipment, it can be pretty good.

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 9, 2006, 10:35 PM

Uh, Gamefly is not owned by the company that owns netflix.

Netflix is owned by Netflix (as in not owned by any other company)
Gamefly is owned by Gamefly (as in not owned by any other company)

Q&A: GameFly's Sean Spector - News at GameSpot

Gamefly - About
Netflix - About

Netflix came out in 1997, Gamefly in 2002. That is hardly "not long after".

Its nice to assume things. But it makes you look silly.

Just like we know people who say Microsoft owns Apple are silly.

-Owl

Forum Links
Forum Rules