Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Anyone tried 1.5gb in iMac Core2Duo yet?

Anyone tried 1.5gb in iMac Core2Duo yet?
WizOSX
Mac Elite
Oct 27, 2006, 10:12 AM

This is not an option that Apple offers but others here have said it should work. Any speed hit due to the unmatched pair that anyone can see? I'd like to try this.

dbranham
Forum Regular
Oct 27, 2006, 12:34 PM

I've got 1.5gb in my iMac CoreDuo (not Core2Duo), and it's a huge boon when compared to the 512gb. That's probably obvious. But, I researched this issue extensively before choosing to upgrade to that particular denomination. My conclusion was that matched ram isn't all it's cracked up to be. Everyone seemed to think there would only be a very slight performance jump by virtue of the matched pair. At least one pundit opined that users will see better performance from 1.25gb in an unmatched pair than they would see with 1gb in a matched pair.

I presume the same applies to the C2D.
Old Times There Are Not Forgotten

freediverdude
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 27, 2006, 02:19 PM

I don't see how there would not be some performance jump going from 1 gb to 1.5 gb. From what I've read in other threads (I think maybe over at macrumors but I'm not sure), the extra performance you get from the matched pair is fairly small, like less than 10%. I have a core2duo also, and that's what I'm planning to do, is replace one 512 with a 1gb real soon to make 1.5, and then maybe next year buy another 1 gb stick to replace the other 512. That way I don't have to pay for the whole 2gb kit at once.

WizOSX  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 27, 2006, 03:27 PM

freediverdud--

My thoughts exactly but--you hate to try something no one else has tried.

WizOSX  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 30, 2006, 09:25 PM

Anyone else tried it??

badsey
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 2, 2006, 06:25 PM

iMac core dual 1.5 GB

I went with Crucial memory (Apple OEM - at that time).

Goto NewEgg.com and look at their feedback on what is cheap and working for Macs. Crucial also has a system look-up so you buy the correct memory (write down the memory stats and then use it to find cheaper brands).

Mongoos150
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 2, 2006, 09:39 PM

Ack this has been asked a hundred times. Paired ram does NOT make a difference in these systems. Older systems took advantage of identicle ram architecture in RAM sticks. Not so now.

iMacYouMac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 20, 2006, 01:07 AM

You are wrong. Matched pairs DO make a different. The architecture is dual channel, therefore, by using identical matching pairs gives you the double memory bandwidth (dual channel). Not having matching pairs gives you single channel performance. But, 1.5gb single channel is more beneficial than 512 dual channel for obvious reasons.
iMac Core 2 Duo 17" - 2Ghz - 2GB Ram - 160GB HD - 250GB Ext - Bluetooth Keyboard and Mighty Mouse - MAudio Fast Track

Antec Nine Hundred Case - Gigabyte 965S3 - 1.86Ghz Core 2 Duo -1GB Corsair XMS Ram - 400GB 3.0Gbps Seagate HD - 160GB Ext - X1900GT PCI 16x - Audigy 2 ZS

Mongoos150
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 20, 2006, 03:07 AM

You are incorrect. New Intel Core2Duo chips do NOT utilize dual channel architecture - there is NO performance benefit. This issue has been beaten to death. Check PC Mag or others for scientific tests. Your memory bandwidth does not increase twofold when using paired ram on these systems. It did in the PowerPC days. Not anymore.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Nov 20, 2006, 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by Mongoos150 View Post
You are incorrect. New Intel Core2Duo chips do NOT utilize dual channel architecture - there is NO performance benefit. This issue has been beaten to death. Check PC Mag or others for scientific tests. Your memory bandwidth does not increase twofold when using paired ram on these systems. It did in the PowerPC days. Not anymore.
WTF? The chipset in the iMacs (945PM) supports dual channel. Did Apple go out of their way to gimp it in the firmware?

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 20, 2006, 11:23 PM

The speed hit is not noticable in normal use... if it exists.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

Forum Links
Forum Rules