Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Bizarre: Council drops Guy Fawkes for Bengali Folk Tale

Bizarre: Council drops Guy Fawkes for Bengali Folk Tale
moodymonster
Mac Elite
Nov 2, 2006, 11:47 AM

Guy Fawkes has been banned by council bosses in east London - and replaced with a Bengali folk tale. Tower Hamlets said it wanted to provide an "alternative" theme to celebrate November 5 and the attempt to blow up the Houses of Parliament.
and... even George Galloway is up in arms about it!
The move came under fire from George Galloway and campaigners. Mr Galloway, Respect MP for Bethnal Green and Bow said: "It beggars belief that this council should organise a Bonfire Night without a bonfire or a Guy."
Guy Fawkes dropped for bonfire night | the Daily Mail

sometimes I think maybe I'm insane and these things aren't actually happening...

wasn't it illegal not to celebrate Bonfire Night until 1959 or something?

just beggars belief... don't know what to say... who are these people?

moodymonster  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 2, 2006, 11:51 AM

He was finally hung, drawn and quartered which was the traditional punishment for traitors on January 31, 1606. Guy Fawkes was hung until he was half dead and then his genitals were cut off and burned in front of him. Whilst still alive, his heart and bowels would be removed from his body, he would be decapitated and his limbs removed from his body. Finally, his body parts would be publicly displayed and left for the birds to eat them.
Guy Fawkes, The Gunpowder Plot, Bonfire Night, November 5th.

damn! - didn't do it by halves back in the day did we. (did it in quarters)

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Nov 2, 2006, 11:52 AM

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Nov 2, 2006, 11:55 AM

Ahhh, there ya go:

Bengalis dominate the council and its cabinet with 31 of the 51 councillors

probablecause
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 2, 2006, 12:07 PM

I don't know what you're complaining about. It's the proper and politically correct thing to allow minorities from other cultures to dominate, subdue and belittle the culture of their host country. It's not like the Bengalis could celebrate along side bonfire night with their own from of celebration.

moodymonster  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 2, 2006, 01:23 PM

or maybe they have a point, most bonfire nights aren't about Guy Fawkes, but about how pretty the fireworks are. If we're not going to 'celebrate' our history then why should others?

At least they're making it about something other than lights and explosions in the sky.

Maybe the reason why they're disregarding bonfire night is because they've picked up our local customs of disregarding our heritage - but decided to replaced it with something meaningful of their own.

probablecause
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 2, 2006, 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by moodymonster View Post
or maybe they have a point, most bonfire nights aren't about Guy Fawkes, but about how pretty the fireworks are. If we're not going to 'celebrate' our history then why should others?

At least they're making it about something other than lights and explosions in the sky.

Maybe the reason why they're disregarding bonfire night is because they've picked up our local customs of disregarding our heritage - but decided to replaced it with something meaningful of their own.
Who is saying Bengalis can't celebrate any holiday in any manner they wish? I'm all for that because it makes things interesting. After reading the article however, I was under the impression that they imposed their form of celebration on the majority of people in East London who aren't Bengali and would prefer to celebrate the holiday their nation has been celebrating for years.

However, if people in East London aren't upset by bonfire night being changed then no worries.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Nov 2, 2006, 05:52 PM

Don't forget the Freedom Chips.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

moodymonster  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 2, 2006, 06:11 PM

actually I think that, by all means have a Bengali night - but on a different date - this is Britain, November 5th is an important date and shouldn't be forgotten.

Remember remember the fifth of November
Gunpowder, treason and plot.
I see no reason why gunpowder, treason
Should ever be forgot...

probablecause
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 2, 2006, 06:50 PM

Should ever be forgot...
Is. . .that you V?

nath
Mac Elite
Nov 3, 2006, 03:10 AM

actually I think that, by all means have a Bengali night - but on a different date - this is Britain, November 5th is an important date and shouldn't be forgotten.

Should ever be forgot...
It's often overlooked that Bonfire Night is a celebration of the failure of the Gunpowder Plot (hence burning the Guy, etc)

I wouldn't mind betting that most people these days would rather celebrate the intention of the plotters, rather than their failure!!

And yes, if the Bengalis have a democratically elected mandate in Tower Hamlets then they should be able to arrange whatever celebration they please, on whatever date they like. If people don't like it they can vote them out.

Forum Links
Forum Rules