Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > DVD Player Woes

DVD Player Woes
DDG
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 25, 2001, 08:52 AM

Here's the skinny:
I recently installed DVD Player 2.4 and when I went to open it, it said "This Macintosh does not support the Apple DVD Player, Error number (301)." Confused, I read up on Apple's support site for any related problems and basically found that there were problems with the Player (version 2.2) and 9.1. A clean install was recommended.

I put it off doing the Clean Install and Apple released DVD Player 2.7. I installed it to replace 2.4, and when I went to open it, it gave me the same message. Frustrated, I finally did a clean install using the System Install CD that came with my G4 (OS 9.0.2), installed Player 2.2, ran the 9.0.4 updater, then ran the 9.1 updater. Finally, I ran Software update to automatically update everything else, including DVD Player 2.7.

After making sure everything was allright, I ran the player and it opened without a problem. I played a movie, browsed around the disc, and everything worked perfectly. I was very happy thinking my problems were solved. 2.7 worked very well!

The next day, I ran various tests in TechToolPro to clean everything up from all of the moving around. Used the computer for a bit, then tried running a DVD again. Then that crazy message popped up, making the Player useless once again.

Please give me your wisdom. This is very frustrating. Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

Forum Links
Forum Rules