Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > New Crucial RAM...now experiencing kernel panics

New Crucial RAM...now experiencing kernel panics
damiensmunki
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 31, 2006, 02:22 AM

So...today I received my 2GB Crucial RAM upgrade for my Mac Pro. Within the last 30 minutes, I experienced my first kernel panics...two of them. The first occurred when loading World of Warcraft. The screen locked up, and I held down the power button. the second occurred when I was importing CD's in iTunes. A dark wipe came down the screen and a window popped up saying I needed to restart my computer by holding down the power button. I'm thinking I've received faulty RAM. What do you guys think?

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 31, 2006, 02:43 AM

Sounds faulty to me. Are there some big fat heatsinks on the Crucial RAM? If there's not it may be overheating.

damiensmunki  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 31, 2006, 02:47 AM

Yup...big heat sinks. This sucks...$500 for shite RAM.

windows_sucks
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 31, 2006, 06:20 AM

A few days ago I had opened a discussion on RAM..and got mixed responses..I had to choose between RAM from OWC and Crucial....OWC RAM (2 x 1Gb) is/was running for 475.00 while Crucial was for around 500.00....It may be a faulty RAM no doubt, but I have come across more people posting kernel panics from faulty Crucial RAM rather than OWC...thats not to say RAM from OWC is a 100 percent sure shot, but then again..You've had your experience with Crucial...if you could I suggest you go with OWC

all2ofme
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 31, 2006, 06:25 AM

I think that could be because it's not been clear with a lot of the earlier reports that they were using the DIMMs that Crucial was shipping that didn't have big heat sinks.

Everyone will ship bad RAM occasionally. How well they deal with sending you new stuff is what will set them apart from everyone else.

I hope you get replacement DIMMs quickly!

mduell
Posting Junkie
Nov 4, 2006, 06:22 PM

Call Crucial, get a replacement.

dmetzcher
Forum Regular
Nov 4, 2006, 06:49 PM

I've seen the same thing with bad RAM and World of Warcraft. I had the WoW people looking at all my log files, and it was the RAM after all. I sent mine back for a replacement. You've already gotten good advice in terms of dealing with companies that have a good return policy. With RAM, the policy should be "no questions asked". You should be able to call Crucial and get an RMA number to send the RAM back, and then you'll get new modules.
Dennis R. Metzcher
MyMacBlog.com: My experiences with the Mac OS, a switcher's point of view. With a new Mac tip each week day.

Macintosh Sauce
Nov 5, 2006, 03:46 AM

Crucial has a lifetime warranty on their RAM. Another great place for buying RAM is TransIntl at Mac Pro RAM. I have purchased RAM from them in the past and they are absolutely wonderful to deal with.
( Last edited by Macintosh Sauce; Nov 7, 2006 at 01:05 AM. )

powerbook867
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 5, 2006, 12:19 PM

Wow, that sucks. I just picked up my new MP last night and was just looking at ram costs. OUCH.

I understand Crucial has the lifetime warranty which is nice, but I have never had a stick of ram go bad after the warranty period (for me, it has always come up bad after the initial install and only once).

damiensmunki, 500 sounds high for 2 gig of ram. I was looking around on Newegg and I can get 2 gig of Corsair ram for about 350 shipped..Is there a reason other than the warranty you went w/ the crucial stuff?

CORSAIR 1GB 240-Pin DDR2 FB-DIMM Server Memory - Retail at Newegg.com

Please don't think I'm knocking your purchase, just wondering if there is a difference...
Joe

Forum Links
Forum Rules