Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Lost Season 3

Lost Season 3 (Page 2)
RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 1, 2006, 11:35 PM

That sucked.
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

Velocity211
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 1, 2006, 11:38 PM

if you watched all of the episodes, you would know what the fog is. I can't believe they killed off Eko.
iMac 24" | Core 2 Extreme 2.8GHz | 4GB RAM | 500GB HD
PowerBook G4 15" HR | 1.67GHz | 2GB RAM | 100GB HD
R.I.P 1995 Toyota Supra NA-T

ambush
Banned
Nov 1, 2006, 11:39 PM

he'll surely come back to haunt the island

Nebagakid
Mac Elite
Nov 2, 2006, 12:09 AM

The CG has been getting much better, especially all the stuff this season, planes, lighting, black smoke that doesn't like gravity and physics.

Tonight's episode was good, and it shows a transition for this season. Involving Desmond more, and those nikki and paolo characters that just aren't cool at all.

ambush
Banned
Nov 2, 2006, 12:32 AM

have you seen the new girl's rack? it's a ****ing handicap

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Nov 2, 2006, 02:49 AM

I stopped watching about five episodes into season two. What the **** is the black smoke?

Answer: Lame.

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

andi*pandi
Nov 2, 2006, 01:12 PM

first season the black smoke was spooky. now, it's just annoying. And kill eko? why? what did that accomplish? Giving nikki and paolo more screen time? they suck. Seems like they're there for the new viewers, to ask Exposition questions. lazy writers. ikki was the only one who wondered if the other monitors worked? We were all asking that last year when they found Pearl station and did nothing.

Perhaps they can die in a fire.

placebo1969
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 2, 2006, 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by Velocity211 View Post
if you watched all of the episodes, you would know what the fog is. I can't believe they killed off Eko.
I really like(d) Eko's storyline. I hope he'll continue to be on the show through flashbacks.

Rev-O
Mac Elite
Nov 3, 2006, 12:39 AM

Liked it much better than the Locke flashback crapfest previously. Nice to see Eko get snuffed.
Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 3, 2006, 01:42 AM

Originally Posted by Weezer View Post
$5 says Jack is the one with the Tumor
$5 please!

-owl

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Nov 3, 2006, 01:46 AM

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

TheWOAT
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 3, 2006, 01:58 AM

Could someone explain the black smoke thing? If you cant explain it in less than 4 sentences, then nevermind.

Oversoul
Senior User
Nov 3, 2006, 07:59 AM

I can't believe they killed off Eko.
Believe it. Seems like the writers have it out for any cast member who gets arrested.

Mr. Eko From "Lost" Arrested - TMZ.com
"Lost" Girls Arrested For DUI - December 2, 2005

Oversoul
Senior User
Nov 3, 2006, 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by TheWOAT View Post
Could someone explain the black smoke thing? If you cant explain it in less than 4 sentences, then nevermind.
IIRC, the black smoke thing may be what's been referred to as the island's "security system." Regardless, we've heard (and occasionally seen) it tearing up the forests with a mechanical noise (think gears churning) and loud thuds. It once passed through Eko, and viewers said they noticed images from his life flash through the black smoke. So maybe the smoke is something that weighs your life (but then it's strange that Eko apparently passed the first time and was killed the second time).

With this show, your guess is as good as mine.

Jolt21
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 3, 2006, 09:41 AM

i think it is like the truman show and they are all just one big lord of the flies experiment.
blah

Rev-O
Mac Elite
Nov 3, 2006, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by TheWOAT View Post
Lostpedia. Answers pretty much nothing about the show, but really ties togethter all the assorted elements that are easy to miss. Also puts forth the current theories about characters and plot elements.

Demonhood
Administrator
Nov 3, 2006, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by Oversoul View Post
Believe it. Seems like the writers have it out for any cast member who gets arrested.
well i'm guessing that it's more that they've killed off (or had kidnapped) everyone from the tail section of the plane. perhaps they weren't meant to survive.

andi*pandi
Nov 3, 2006, 12:56 PM

oh noes! look out bernard!!!!

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 3, 2006, 02:13 PM

I friggin HATE the 2 new pretty-faced characters that they haphazardly introduced this season. That just reeks of bad writing. And then the writers have to use them to throw out ridiculous lines to try to explain painfully obvious things that people who have been watching the show from the start already know. That makes me want to immediately turn the TV off. WHY LOST WRITERS?? WHY??

Aside from that disaster, the show seems to be dragging so far this season. They are laboring over mind games being played by The Others. Its coming to the point where no one ever knows if anyone is telling he truth, or if its just another deception on top of a deception on top of a deception, etc etc.

And all this odd spiritual mysticism going on with Lock and Ekko, wtf? Then they go an kill off Ekko for no real reason (as yet explained). Why kill Ekko? Who knows? Do the writers even know? His storyline was the only interesting one in the whole bunch. Lock's sucks, Jack's sucks, Kate's is horribly boring, Sawyer's is boring.

I hate to use the term "jumped the shark" so early in the season, but I have a sinking feeling thats what's happened here. If they don't promptly kill off those 2 new morons then this show is doomed to fizzle out before they can complete the story.

awaspaas
Mac Elite
Nov 3, 2006, 02:26 PM

Line from Nikki: "His brother's body is in there." (with a midwestern accent even more annoying than my own.)

Line from Paolo: "The bathroom still works."

Gee, thanks, you two.

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 3, 2006, 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by awaspaas View Post
Line from Nikki: "His brother's body is in there." (with a midwestern accent even more annoying than my own.)
Another horrible thing about that line is that it was added in post production. She didn't actually say it when they filmed that scene, they put it in there after the fact. And it was obvious. That just tells me that someone thought "gee, I think we need cater to stupid people who can't figure crap out for themselves. Lets put in a line explaining Ekko's motive for coming back to the plane."

ARGH!!

paul w
Mac Elite
Nov 3, 2006, 02:37 PM

At least Paolo could've said something like: "I wouldn't go in there for a bit if I were you."

I've always thought that having too many survivors would eventually undermine the show. You can't suddenly introduce them to us now and have us care about them. They are taking screen time away from other characters the show has spent 2 plus years in developing.

Why not just have the main characters with a few others (enough to kill one off every so often)?

Eko was a total wasted opportunity. He had a kind of magnetic commanding physical presence that was wasted in silly button pushing and church building obsessions. Blah.

Nebagakid
Mac Elite
Nov 3, 2006, 04:33 PM

I want Nikki and Paolo to die in the most trite way possible, like walk into the ocean, and not look back.

Oversoul
Senior User
Nov 3, 2006, 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by ::maroma:: View Post
They are laboring over mind games being played by The Others. Its coming to the point where no one ever knows if anyone is telling he truth, or if its just another deception on top of a deception on top of a deception, etc etc.
I've given up on this show precisely because of the writer's treatment of the Others. It's just not believable. On the one hand, we've seen what the Others have done (and the Lost cast have experienced it first hand). They've kidnapped children, performed medical experiments on Claire, tried to kill the Hobbit (and left him to die) , pointed guns at the cast, kidnapped more people, forced them into slave labor, launched an armed raid to steal the boat, stole the boat, among other things.

On the other hand, we get bullshit like, "We're not your enemy," and "We're not killers." Sorry if I don't believe that.

One more point, why are the Lost cast so gullible? Locke has gone soft, Sayid let the Others outmaneuver him. And who cares about the Jack-Sawyer-Kate triangle besides them and the Others who have been taking every opportunity to use it against them?

Rev-O
Mac Elite
Nov 3, 2006, 11:04 PM

Originally Posted by Nebagakid View Post
I want Nikki and Paolo to die in the most trite way possible, like walk into the ocean, and not look back.
Yah, Nikki and Paolo need to die. The way they just showed up in script seemed very contrived. For two seasons they're not around and then suddenly they start going on the key plot missions? At least ease them into the plot! My fingers are crossed that they'll do an Arzt!

[rant]
They are annoying, but they do not fill me with the rage like Michael did. He was the most useless and annoying character on the show, and the fact that he just rode off in a boat at the end of season two filled made me scream at the show. I didn't care about his betrayal. I just hated him. His character just wasted time that could have been better used with commercials or anything. Yes, I was glad to be rid of his constantly screaming ad nauseam the same two lines of dialog over and freaking over: "Waaaaaaalt!" and "They took my boy!" but I wanted him to be completely destroyed instead of sailing off into the sunset. I want Michael to come back just so the survivors can set him on fire and then beat him to death with sticks as he burns. Then maybe take a collective wiz on his smoldering remains. Or perhaps the survivors could maybe do the whole soccer team trapped in the Andes thing and eat him, or stake him out for the bear to eat or something. I am sure Michael will repair soon, and hopefully he will get buried up to his neck in sand below on the beach at low tide so the other people can throw rocks at him while the tide comes in. That would make me happy.
[/rant]

Nebagakid
Mac Elite
Nov 3, 2006, 11:28 PM

Originally Posted by Oversoul View Post
I've given up on this show precisely because of the writer's treatment of the Others. It's just not believable.
Yeah, that one aspect of the show is not believable, but everything else just rings true to reality.

The entire show is FICTION, you must accept what happens. The Others are messing with Jack, and "good" is all relative to what is "bad." What is going on in the show right now is believable in the reality of the show, that is something, as a viewer and audience member, must accept to watch ANY television show.

1. Eko had to die, the never kill someone for no reason.
2. Nikki and Paulo must die,
3. Locke is still a badass, never forget.
4. Kate has gone soft, she should not be domesticated, but she has always had a soft spot for her LOVEs (and they always end up dead).
5. The Black Smoke is Frictious.

Velocity211
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 4, 2006, 12:58 AM

So the smoke monster manifested itself into Yami? I know what it is, but I'm still puzzled on the whole Yami appearing here and there thing.

Rev-O
Mac Elite
Nov 4, 2006, 01:08 AM

So the smoke monster manifested itself into Yami? I know what it is, but I'm still puzzled on the whole Yami appearing here and there thing.
Shouldn't be a shocker. The Black Smoke has appeared as Jack's dad, Kate's horse, Sawyer's boar, and Hurley's imaginary friend. Most of the 'hallucinations' beginning in season 1 really happened. Just my guess.
And don't forget that Locke saw a different thing (season 1), he did not see the black smoke. He saw a white shining object which falls inline with the various black/white imagery that goes on in the show. Maybe it is the same thing but appears differently depending upon it's judgement: Black for Eko because he was an evil man unrepentant for his past actions, white for Locke because he is trying to find peace within himself.

greenamp
Mac Elite
Nov 4, 2006, 01:40 AM

I think the corporate guys at ABC have taken over and fired the writers from season 1.

[Corporate Round Table Excerpt]

Suit1: "Hey guys you know what would be BADASS and get some new viewers? Locke saving Eko from a polar bear using a hairspray torch!"

Suit3: "Needs more completely useless and unrelated Kate nakedness."

Suit2: "Yeah man sex sells. How about the others make her put on a really short sundress!? You know, those others, they are just crazy like that..."

Suit5: "Totally. And we could even put Sawyer and Kate in animal cages next to each other and make Kate have to change in front of him!"

Suit4: "if we're gonna have Jack, Kate, and Sawyer on the other island, we're gonna need some new hot people to make up for the loss in hotness on the original island. We could just introduce two new people and play it off like they have been there all along. People won't notice, right?"

Suit 3: "Hey what are we gonna do about not having any new material since we locked up the writers back in season 1 when the show got popular?"

Suit1: "Eh, we can just draw out the questions over and over again. Hell, we can stretch out one episodes worth of substance over and entire season with enough flashbacks. It's the island man, it's crazy! I see dead people man..."

Tied Up and gagged writers in the closet: "Umpf..."

Rev-O
Mac Elite
Nov 4, 2006, 01:49 AM

Originally Posted by greenamp View Post
I think the corporate guys at ABC have taken over and fired the writers from season 1.

[Corporate Round Table Excerpt]

Suit1: "Hey guys you know what would be BADASS and get some new viewers? Locke saving Eko from a polar bear using a hairspray torch!"

Suit3: "Needs more completely useless and unrelated Kate nakedness."

Suit2: "Yeah man sex sells. How about the others make her put on a really short sundress!? You know, those others, they are just crazy like that..."

Suit5: "Totally. And we could even put Sawyer and Kate in animal cages next to each other and make Kate have to change in front of him!"

Suit4: "if we're gonna have Jack, Kate, and Sawyer on the other island, we're gonna need some new hot people to make up for the loss in hotness on the original island. We could just introduce two new people and play it off like they have been there all along. People won't notice, right?"

Suit 3: "Hey what are we gonna do about not having any new material since we locked up the writers back in season 1 when the show got popular?"

Suit1: "Eh, we can just draw out the questions over and over again. It's the island man, it's crazy! I see dead people man..."

Tied Up and gagged writers in the closet: "Umpf..."
Before you crack on season 3 too much, remember back to the horrid beginning of season 2: like 3 consecutive episodes detailing the opening and entry into the hatch. It was so drawn out and full of fat that it made the baby jesus cry. It was 40 minutes of content bloated into multiple episodes because the writers seemngly had no clue what to do next and needed to buy themselves a 3 week breather. That sucked huge. I think the beginning of season three is better than season two. Except for Paolo and Nikki, who must die.

greenamp
Mac Elite
Nov 4, 2006, 01:53 AM

Originally Posted by Rev-O View Post
Before you crack on season 3 too much, remember back to the horrid beginning of season 2: like 3 consecutive episodes detailing the opening and entry into the hatch. It was so drawn out and full of fat that it made the baby jesus cry. It was 40 minutes of content bloated into multiple episodes because the writers seemingly had no clue what to do next and needed to buy themselves a 3 week breather. That sucked huge. I think the beginning of season three is better than season two. Except for Paolo and Nikki, who must die.
Yeah I see what you're saying. I record Lost and watch it on Fridays after Battlestar Galactica. Watching Lost after BSG this season is making me really critical of Lost. Maybe I should wait a few days in between

Rev-O
Mac Elite
Nov 4, 2006, 02:01 AM

Originally Posted by greenamp View Post
Yeah I see what you're saying. I record Lost and watch it on Fridays after Battlestar Galactica. Watching Lost after BSG this season is making me really critical of Lost. Maybe I should wait a few days in between
Damn you to hell.
<holds fore finger and thumb a quarter onch apart>
I am this close to buying seasons 1 and 2 of BSG on dvd so I can catch up, and comments like this do not help me resisit the temptation.

All in all, Lost is still really good stuff. I hope the producers and the creative force behind Lost pull the plug on it after a few more seasons and wrap up the story, giving it a clean death. I would hate to see it suffer the slow lingering X-Files death.

greenamp
Mac Elite
Nov 4, 2006, 02:19 AM

Originally Posted by Rev-O View Post
Damn you to hell.
<holds fore finger and thumb a quarter onch apart>
I am this close to buying seasons 1 and 2 of BSG on dvd so I can catch up, and comments like this do not help me resisit the temptation.

All in all, Lost is still really good stuff. I hope the producers and the creative force behind Lost pull the plug on it after a few more seasons and wrap up the story, giving it a clean death. I would hate to see it suffer the slow lingering X-Files death.
Dude buy them. Season 3 so far is awesome. You could probably watch both seasons this weekend in you're diligent enough!

Gankdawg
Professional Poster
Nov 4, 2006, 11:25 AM

The entire show is FICTION, you must accept what happens.
Yep. I just like to sit back and enjoy the show.

JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
Nov 4, 2006, 11:35 AM

I'm just waiting until Lost gets some complex and confusing that no one, not even the writers, can figure out how to uncomplex things.

Was that guy in the eyepatch Ron Perlman? Are we suddenly going to find Hellboy on the island as well? (Which would somehow make sense. Really.)

Nebagakid
Mac Elite
Nov 4, 2006, 12:42 PM

Hurley imaginary friend, Dave, might not have been a manifestation of the smoke (might not). Hurley was carrying around a shoe of his, but it was not seen by Libby. If we are to believe that Kate's Horse was a manifestation of the smoke as well, then it should not have been seen by Sawyer, as it was.

SO, let's think of it as this way. If the person is dead, and their dead body is on the island (as is Yemi and Jack's Dad) then the Black Smoke is able to somehow take them and manifest their bodies and show them to those people who have guilt.

The difference between this season and Season 1 is that Season 1 there were many many story lines in each episode (up to 6, including flashbacks). There were so many problems of being rescued, whereas now it is about survival from the Others or from the smoke. The breadth of the show as changed, as hav the episodes. Yet, I would make the argument that the progression of the show has been natural and still fixed.

I am so hoping that Nikki and Paulo prove their usefulness next episode or die by , say, a rash or something really really weak.

andi*pandi
Nov 4, 2006, 04:35 PM

yes, like killer athlete's foot. Their flashback could include them shopping in a drugstore before getting on the plane, but forgetting foot powder. The ironic closeup could be of their 4 bottles of spray tan that they did buy.

dun dun DUN!!!

wallinbl
Professional Poster
Nov 5, 2006, 08:21 AM

Did the teaser at the end say that next week was the season finale? What the heck? Seems a little quick!

Demonhood
Administrator
Nov 5, 2006, 08:46 AM

it's the "fall finale". which just means it is the last new show this calendar year. because they're jerks.

rjenkinson
Professional Poster
Nov 5, 2006, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by Demonhood View Post
it's the "fall finale". which just means it is the last new show this calendar year. because they're jerks.
it's better than what they did last year, with those long gaps between single new episodes.

-r.

vinster
Senior User
Nov 5, 2006, 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by rjenkinson View Post
it's better than what they did last year, with those long gaps between single new episodes.

-r.
How is this year different? Other than SNL, I can't think of a show that has so many breaks during its run.

I also think the creators of Lost are jerks and don't appreciate their audience. I'm still tuning in for now but the anticipation's gone for me.

rjenkinson
Professional Poster
Nov 5, 2006, 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by vinster View Post
How is this year different?
this year the season is split into two halves. within each half, there are no gaps between new episodes. last year you had to wait a couple of weeks for a new episode.

-r.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Nov 5, 2006, 12:50 PM

They need to take the 24 approach - no breaks/reruns in between new episodes.

All glory to the hypnotoad.

Nebagakid
Mac Elite
Nov 5, 2006, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by jokell82 View Post
They need to take the 24 approach - no breaks/reruns in between new episodes.
They are doing something similar, as stated above. There are going to be 6 episodes now, and then in February, the remaining 18 episodes.

kman42
Professional Poster
Nov 5, 2006, 03:43 PM

My theory: Kate and Sawyer are going to be bred like animals. The Other doctor is a fertility specialist. They put Kate in a sexy dress and made her dig up rocks in front of Sawyer. They then made her say she loved him. The Others steal children.

Anyone looking forward to Kate and Sawyer going at it animal style in a cage?

kman

jokell82
Professional Poster
Nov 5, 2006, 09:09 PM

They are doing something similar, as stated above. There are going to be 6 episodes now, and then in February, the remaining 18 episodes.
Yeah I get it, but 24 does all 24 episodes in a row. That's how Lost should do it.

All glory to the hypnotoad.

Ghoser777
Professional Poster
Nov 8, 2006, 11:04 PM

Hmmm... not bad.

1) Sawyer and Kate get it on
2) Ben (almost predictably) has his life at the mercy of Jack

Velocity211
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 8, 2006, 11:24 PM

February 7th!?!? NOOO!! So, do you think sawyer/ben are gonna die?

jonasmac
Senior User
Location: Guam - where the grass is green and the girls are pretty
Nov 8, 2006, 11:30 PM

Originally Posted by kman42 View Post
My theory: Kate and Sawyer are going to be bred like animals. The Other doctor is a fertility specialist. They put Kate in a sexy dress and made her dig up rocks in front of Sawyer. They then made her say she loved him. The Others steal children.

Anyone looking forward to Kate and Sawyer going at it animal style in a cage?

kman
Wow. Are you a prophet?

lavar78
Professional Poster
Nov 8, 2006, 11:43 PM

The message to John on the spirit stick was cool.

I still miss Eko.

So... Desmond knows what happened to him!

"I'm virtually bursting with adequatulence!" - Bill McNeal, NewsRadio

Forum Links
Forum Rules