Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Why are trackpads on PC laptops usually off centre to the left?

Why are trackpads on PC laptops usually off centre to the left? (Page 2)
Strupat
Nov 5, 2006, 10:20 PM

note: Apple fan-boy thread.

Tomchu
Mac Elite
Nov 5, 2006, 11:04 PM

Originally Posted by Strupat View Post
Painfully true.

The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 6, 2006, 01:18 AM

Originally Posted by Wiskedjak View Post

(note: no off-centre trackpad )

I've always liked these two designs. Though, I suppose you could still say they copied Apple; after all, they are rectangular, similar colour to the original PowerBooks, use LCD displays, keyboards, and batteries ...
Very good examples. Thanks!

Gee4orce
Professional Poster
Nov 6, 2006, 09:36 AM

Why should the trackpad NOT be centred on the machine ? The keyboard is one component, centred on the machine, the trackpad is another component, centred on the machine. The screen - see, there's another. ...and the iSight. Man- they are everywhere. I wonder why they are not lined up with the space bar

ghporter
Administrator
Nov 6, 2006, 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by Gee4orce View Post
Why should the trackpad NOT be centred on the machine ? The keyboard is one component, centred on the machine, the trackpad is another component, centred on the machine. The screen - see, there's another. ...and the iSight. Man- they are everywhere. I wonder why they are not lined up with the space bar
Because the most used keys on a laptop's keyboard may not be centered on the laptop (PC keyboards have extra keys on the right), and the trackpad is aligned with the spacebar, it could wind up noticeably off center. Functionally it makes sense to put the trackpad where it's most easily used, right under the spacebar, which may not be centered on the machine. Now when you look at a Mac keyboard, you see that it's pretty much symmetrical and there's less need for the trackpad to be aligned differently. BUT my MBP's spacebar is NOT centered-the right Apple/command key is closer to the center than the left one, and the bar is shifted a bit to the left. That's how the aesthetics of the MPB work with reality.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Gee4orce
Professional Poster
Nov 6, 2006, 11:52 AM

Um - yeah - but the criticism was that the trackpad was centred because of aesthetics, and ergo Apple's keyboard was also centred (and missing keys) because of aesthetics. I don't think so - it would feel wrong to have a keyboard which was offset to the left. Same goes for the trackpad. When I use a desktop, I generally have the spacebar about centre with the screen, with the numeric keypad sticking out to the right. I like the way Apple does it.

Oh - something else that's increasingly bugging me. I'm fed up with the juvenile retort of being an Apple 'apologist' - just because I think they have made the right call about certain things (like the trackpad 'issue'). It's a pathetic juvenile insult thrown about by spotty 15 year old PC users (touché )

Tomchu
Mac Elite
Nov 6, 2006, 12:29 PM

Hehe, it's not so much being an Apple "apologist", but rather Apple "fanboy". It's the automatic opinion that everything-PC sucks, and everything that Apple does being the work of God.

This thread is an excellent example of that kind of attitude.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Nov 6, 2006, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by Strupat View Post
You're on a Mac forum.

Gee4orce
Professional Poster
Nov 6, 2006, 12:46 PM

fanboy. fanboy !! That's the worst one ! That sounds like something five year olds shout at each other at playtime dammit !

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Nov 6, 2006, 12:53 PM

fanboy. fanboy !! That's the worst one ! That sounds like something five year olds shout at each other at playtime dammit !
You must be in a different Staffs, UK than me. Last time I happened across a bunch of five-year-olds in a playground they were all shouting "bastard!" at each other.

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 6, 2006, 01:03 PM

Because PC trackpads are notoriously liberal.

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Nov 6, 2006, 01:10 PM

That and the long list of other five year old (internet) terms... (noob, newbie... take your pick)

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 6, 2006, 10:59 PM

While we're on PC laptops - what's the deal with all the stickers?
You know the ones: "Intel Inside", 3 or 4 "Genuine Microsoft", "DVD" etc...

What's worse is that these stickers are never removed.
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

MattJeff
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 6, 2006, 11:21 PM

us leftys dont mind it off center. but i love Apples trackpad.

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 7, 2006, 12:49 AM

Originally Posted by osiris View Post
While we're on PC laptops - what's the deal with all the stickers?
You know the ones: "Intel Inside", 3 or 4 "Genuine Microsoft", "DVD" etc...

What's worse is that these stickers are never removed.
Intel and Microsoft pay the manufacturers to put those stickers on the machines. Why they're not removed, I'll never understand. Cameras are the same way. Have you ever seen someone pull out their camera or video recorder and seen it covered with manufacturer stickers?

Do you think Microsoft will have a hard time selling Vista to someone whose computer says "Made for Windows XP"?

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Nov 7, 2006, 12:54 AM

Originally Posted by chabig View Post
Do you think Microsoft will have a hard time selling Vista to someone whose computer says "Made for Windows XP"?
Does your average Joe ever upgrade his OS or does he just buy a new machine with the new OS on it?

ghporter
Administrator
Nov 7, 2006, 11:04 AM

I've never met an "average Joe" computer user. They're either all "I think this button turns it on", "I have no clue what I'm doing, but I'm doing it anyway" (almost always Windows users-who will soon be in need of expensive tech support), or "I'm going to reinstall with these options because I'm tired of the options I already have." By far the middle group is the most annoying-they "discover" stuff by screwing it up, they ask tons of stupid and trivial questions if you even suggest you can spell "computer," and they whine about how their computers are so slow, buggy, complex, etc.

I think most users would indeed be better off if they just bought a new computer with the new OS already installed, but they're too cheap or poor to do that, or they can't wait to see the new OS in action and they install it on a minimally capable machine and whine about how slow it is.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

MattJeff
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 7, 2006, 11:40 PM

wow

Forum Links
Forum Rules