Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > TCP/IP Host File

TCP/IP Host File
Jericon
Dec 12, 2000, 07:41 PM

I'm here at work... I work at a software company. the current software I am testing here is KwikTag (www.kwiktag.com) an internet based software. The only problem is, in order ot test the software in house, I must be able to set a host file that would contain the in house regression server IP addresses, and the hostmask that they would be.

I know that the TCP/IP control panel has an option to 'select a hosts file', but what format does this file have to be in? I tried the format that the windows machines use:

"xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx hostmask"

but that's not working.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
-Jericon

Paul Crawford
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 13, 2000, 01:21 AM

Hi Jericon,

There's some detailed information on the format of the Hosts file at the end of Apple's TIL article Open Transport: TCP/IP Configuration. As noted in the article, the format is based on a subset of the DNS Master File Format which is described more formally in the official Request For Comments (RFC) 1035, Section 5 (starting on p. 32).

Per RFC 1035, note that the domain/host name usually precedes the IP address, not the other way around. (Actually, the order should be the same on Windows as well.) There's also usually a "type" code between the two items (e.g., A for 'Address').

Regards,

--Paul

DocWest
Senior User
Dec 13, 2000, 10:15 PM

Here's a portion of my Hosts file.

It's just a simpletext document with the following format:

ak.cache.imgis.com A 127.0.0.1
ads25.focalink.com A 127.0.0.1
adforce.imgis.com A 127.0.0.1
view.avenuea.com A 127.0.0.1

etc...

(This host file I use for getting rid of banners in hotline)

Forum Links
Forum Rules