Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > MacPro custom vented PCI covers

MacPro custom vented PCI covers
Daniel Bayer
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 10, 2006, 05:44 PM

Anyone make em' ? Third party like?

It would help create better airflow below the drives with that nice big path it has.

Vented PCI covers make a bit more sense than the solid ones in place now.
"I'll take a extra layer of ram on that
gigaflop sandwich mister"

slpdLoad
Mac Elite
Nov 11, 2006, 12:38 AM

Just taking them out not sylish enough? Or am I missing that they're not easily removable?

Daniel Bayer  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 11, 2006, 05:02 AM

Originally Posted by slpdLoad View Post
Just taking them out not sylish enough? Or am I missing that they're not easily removable?
Some degree of netting would be good. They could have milled slots for air, look real nice too.

Tuoder
Mac Elite
Nov 11, 2006, 06:06 AM

I have heard of fans that are designed to take up a slot and provide airflow. Is that what you are talking about?

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/category/category_slc.asp?CatId=804&Nav=|c:494|&Sort=3&Recs =10

Like these?

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Nov 11, 2006, 11:30 AM

Uhh, don't do this.

Putting in vented slot covers will divert airflow away from its designed flow paths, potentially reducing cooling effectiveness.

tooki

slpdLoad
Mac Elite
Nov 11, 2006, 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by tooki View Post
Putting in vented slot covers will divert airflow away from its designed flow paths, potentially reducing cooling effectiveness.
tooki
That makes sense. However, does it apply to the MacPros? I know in the G5s, they supplied a little clear plastic side that you had to install if you didn't want the aluminum door on there, because the G5 needed a closed case in order to cool itself properly.

However, if I recall correctly, the Mac Pro doesn't have one of these. Does Apple say it's safe to run it without the door on? Also, I think the MP has two airflows, basically. One is on the bottom, where fans blow air over the Xeons and the RAM, and then there's another "level" above these where the PCI cards rest. In other words I don't think it would effect anything but the PCI cards if you put in vented slots. There actually doesn't even seem to be much of an exhaust around the PCI cards.

Just a thought.

Daniel Bayer  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 11, 2006, 02:08 PM

[QUOTE=slpdLoad;3201575]

/QUOTE]

Exactly

I worked with aerodynamics for a few years. You want the path of least resistance to not be blocked, the longer the air takes to get out, the hotter it will get.

Clearing the area right below the drives would drop the temperature some 2-5 degrees depending on how active all the hardware is. Not that they ever get real hot and I keep my place pretty cool, all 4 bays are taken up; so heat is a little more of a concern.

I am willing to bet that this machine would benefit from a mod like that...

Forum Links
Forum Rules