Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > iPhoto roll issues

iPhoto roll issues
jocab64
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 10, 2006, 01:16 AM

Trying to get my pictures under contol and I'm experiencing a few problems. I'm doing some research currently and have been downloading a lot of individual photos. When they come into iPhoto they're all on different rolls. I would like to put all of these rolls together into one but can't seem to figure it out. I've tried selecting the rolls I want and then going to file create new roll, but this option is greyed out. Any ideas?

Thanks

skybolt
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 10, 2006, 11:46 AM

You can easily drag the photos into one roll. For instance, drag photos from rolls 4, 5, and 6 into roll 1. Drop them on the name of the roll and they will just pop into that roll. You can rename the roll as well, to make it more descriptive of what is in it.

Whatever you do, stay out of the iPhoto library in finder. You will create untold misery for yourself. Work within iPhoto!

Does that help?
Mary

jocab64  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 10, 2006, 03:03 PM

Thanks for the tip. I figured I was making it harder than it was. Thanks for the warning too; I've heard many horror stories already.

Rosieo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 10, 2006, 09:44 PM

What problems are created by going into iPhoto library in finder?

JKT
Professional Poster
Nov 11, 2006, 07:43 AM

None by looking into it. What skybolt meant was changing anything in the iPhoto Library via the Finder. If you do, iPhoto will probably not recognise the changes and you will have problems using iPhoto.

iamdravenman
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 11, 2006, 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by skybolt View Post
You can easily drag the photos into one roll. For instance, drag photos from rolls 4, 5, and 6 into roll 1. Drop them on the name of the roll and they will just pop into that roll. You can rename the roll as well, to make it more descriptive of what is in it.

Whatever you do, stay out of the iPhoto library in finder. You will create untold misery for yourself. Work within iPhoto!

Does that help?
You have no idea how long I've been trying to figure that stuff out. I knew the functionality should be there, and I'm just to much of a dumb guy to look in the iPhoto help.

Thank you so much.

Oh, and messing with the data in the library in finder is bad. I made a backup before I did, and wow it gets messy.
My favorite game in the whole world is Dark Castle... er... Beyond Dark Castle!

Forum Links
Forum Rules