Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Need A Screen

Need A Screen
jheath
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 11, 2006, 11:36 PM

Hi,

I have recenly decided to get rid of Micro$oft Windows as my primary desktop machine at home and only use Microsoft products at work, as I have had a sudden change of heart towards microsoft products ever since Vista was messed around with. And besides OSX seems allot more stable.

The problem is this however, I only have a 15" MBP as my only apple computer and I simply cant afford a iMac or Mac Pro. So, the only obvious solution is to purchase a screen for the laptop whilst it is at my desk and utilise the DVI port on the MBP.

Does anyone have any good recommendations for LCD screens that suit the native resolutions of the MacBookPro, or even better, could anyone mention a current config that they have that is slightly relevant to what I need?

Basically, I need a big screen to suit the 1440x900 resolution, but I have used some standard screens and the display isnt as clear as I want it to be.

I was taking a look at this, but even then I am not sure.
Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Tuoder
Mac Elite
Nov 12, 2006, 12:00 AM

You'll probably have better luck in the peripherals forum. They talk about mintors there all of the time. Dell makes good monitors.

gix
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 12, 2006, 12:36 AM

Dell does have good monitors, just wait until black friday, i am sure there will be huge discount.

jheath  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 12, 2006, 09:33 AM

Ok, thanks guys.

rach
Forum Regular
Nov 12, 2006, 10:04 AM

The model that you are interested was reviewed on Trusted Reviews more or less although the model that was reviewed has a bigger screen than the model that you are interested in everything else is basically the same. It didn't score that well on Trusted Reviews
TrustedReviews - Acer AL2416WS 24in LCD Monitor

I have to been looking for a monitor and i need to chose between a 20inch Dell right now and a Samsung SM215TW. I am leaning towards the Samsung more though. I really do need the extra inputs. Samsung do make good monitors. These two models are also good and maybe worth you looking at the Samsung SM205BW and the Samsung SM225BW.

Originally Posted by jheath View Post
I was taking a look at this, but even then I am not sure.
Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!
( Last edited by rach; Nov 12, 2006 at 10:55 AM. )

Atheist
Mac Elite
Nov 12, 2006, 10:26 AM

Get the 24" Dell. You'll never regret it.

chrismear
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 12, 2006, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by jheath View Post
Does anyone have any good recommendations for LCD screens that suit the native resolutions of the MacBookPro...

Basically, I need a big screen to suit the 1440x900 resolution
Note that you don't need to run your external monitor at a resolution that is native to built-in display in your MacBook Pro. The video card in an MBP can drive an external monitor at whatever resolution is appropriate for that monitor, as long as it's less than 2560x1600.

Mister Elf
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 12, 2006, 12:51 PM

Dell's 20-inch widescreen display (resolution 1680x1050, which will work beautifully with the MBP) is currently on sale for $260 - grab it, it's a great deal.

If you don't want a Dell, then make sure that whatever you pick has DVI input, not just VGA, or you will regret it later.
Midshipman 3/C, USNR

rjt1000
Senior User
Nov 12, 2006, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by Mister Elf View Post
Dell's 20-inch widescreen display (resolution 1680x1050, which will work beautifully with the MBP) is currently on sale for $260 - grab it, it's a great deal.
Is this the one you mean? But its priced at $359 at Dell.

romeosc
Mac Elite
Nov 12, 2006, 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by rjt1000 View Post
Is this the one you mean? But its priced at $359 at Dell.

I think this is the one he was talking about...
http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/p...9&sku=320-5123

jheath  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 12, 2006, 06:39 PM

Yeah, you guys have definitley steered me towards Dell monitors. I used to have one of their older 19" models, and it was exceptionally built and very sturdy. The 24" is extremely tempting, but it pulls in at £754! That is a crap load of money for a monitor. Maybe the 20 inch model is more appropriate. Thanks again!

Forum Links
Forum Rules