Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > modal dialogs locking up MacOS 9.0.4

modal dialogs locking up MacOS 9.0.4
pastusza
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 1, 2000, 08:57 PM

I have a G4 Yikes! with MacOS 9.0.4 with all the latest updates. I have a problem with modal dialog boxes. Every time a modal dialog box pops up it hangs the computer. Sometimes command+option+escape will allow me to quit the app, and when I go back in, the Mac works fine with modals, but oftentimes the whole Mac hangs and I have to hit the reset switch.

Other modal boxes that just pop up a message, like the "encoding attachment" when you attach something in Outlook Express will also hang the computer. I am at a point now, where I feel I may need to reinstall the OS, but I would rather avoid doing that. Virex says there are no viruses.

Anyone have any ideas?

------------------
Andy Pastuszak
[email protected]
Andy Pastuszak
amp68(spammenot)-at-verizon.net

oscar
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 2, 2000, 05:41 AM

Hmm, Have you tried the usual, trashing finder, and system prefs? If you have, id
run TechTool to tell you if the system is corrupt.
If it is, try swaping out the finder/system suitcase with a known good copy (make sure you use the same version!)

------------------
-See Yea!

[This message has been edited by oscar (edited 06-02-2000).]

pastusza  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 2, 2000, 09:25 AM

I tried all the usual troubleshooting BS, and none of it worked. I just did a clean in stall of OS 9 last night and applied all the updates. Seems to be just fine now. Now I just gotta reinstall anything that dropped extensions in the system folder.

------------------
Andy Pastuszak
[email protected]
Andy Pastuszak
amp68(spammenot)-at-verizon.net

Forum Links
Forum Rules