Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > iPod Video too late now?

iPod Video too late now?
I WAS the One
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 11, 2006, 11:59 PM

ok, I've been an Archos fan since I discovered a year ago, but I love Macs and iPods too, the thing is that I wanted a powerful multimedia gadget and in that time the iPod Video wasn't that gadget at all... then a couple of months ago somebody here was talking about a new iPod Video for chrismas with wi-fi and a touch screen. I was sorprised with this Archos' AV604WiFi It is a better deal with the minus of a small Hard drive... but I bet they will introduce a new one with a bigger capacity soon. I want an iPod better than this AV, I already owned an AV and it is a better machine right now if you compared it one by one... mine is a 100gigs and it is full of movies, pics,files,music and TV shows already... is the Ipod Video too late now... the Zune and the Archos are offering too much good stuff...what do you think?
Enjoy My Mac Comic @ BLAST COMICS

Mr Heliums
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 12, 2006, 04:31 AM

Too late for what?

analogika
Posting Junkie
Nov 12, 2006, 06:30 AM

You mention the Zune...what is the Zune offering?

Goldfinger
Professional Poster
Nov 12, 2006, 07:41 AM

The Archos weighs 290g. Enough said.

iMac 20" C2D 2.16 | Acer Aspire One | Flickr

I WAS the One  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 12, 2006, 06:50 PM

Well... I mean, Too Late for showing off? remember that the iPod was a fat device too.. so, any device can do any diet if it gets successful. the Zune offers a Wi-Fi data transfer between devices, and a little bigger screen... and some people says that you can buy and download music right on the zune... (maybe that's BS but I don't know) and the AV offers a lot, you can read it all your self at the website, yes it is a little over weight but it does it job. for a multimedia device it is the best right now....

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 12, 2006, 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by I WAS the One View Post
Well... I mean, Too Late for showing off? remember that the iPod was a fat device too.. so, any device can do any diet if it gets successful. the Zune offers a Wi-Fi data transfer between devices, and a little bigger screen... and some people says that you can buy and download music right on the zune... (maybe that's BS but I don't know) and the AV offers a lot, you can read it all your self at the website, yes it is a little over weight but it does it job. for a multimedia device it is the best right now....
I think the iPod is just fine for "showing off." Also, don't forget the iPod's ease of use, coolness, and sophisticated online store. Zune has none of those yet.

If Zune goes on a diet, it will have to lose the larger screen. And that's years away anyway--hardly worth speculating. And you're crazy if you don't think there will be new iPods. Let's compare today's iPod to today's Zune, or tomorrow's iPod to tomorrow's Zune. But you can't compare today's iPod to tomorrow's Zune.

You cannot buy and download music from the Zune. The wireless only talks to other Zunes, if you can find any.

Chris

I WAS the One  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 13, 2006, 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by chabig View Post
The wireless only talks to other Zunes, if you can find any.

Chris
HAHAHAHAAAA!!! good point!

analogika
Posting Junkie
Nov 14, 2006, 04:01 AM

Originally Posted by Goldfinger View Post
The Archos weighs 290g. Enough said.
Ah yes.

Somehow, they always forget to mention it's a brick.

I WAS the One  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 14, 2006, 08:28 AM

it's a brick, but you can't build anything with an iPod...

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 14, 2006, 08:42 AM

The Zune comes out today. Hopefully, it will fall flat on it's face sales-wise. I'd hate to see M$ strong-arm market share with an inferior product and a much higher tolerance for wasting money.

Even better, maybe Apple will debut the "real" video iPod sooner rather than later. It would suck to miss the holiday shopping season, but Apple tends to do that.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

I WAS the One  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 14, 2006, 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by Eriamjh View Post
The Zune comes out today. Hopefully, it will fall flat on it's face sales-wise. I'd hate to see M$ strong-arm market share with an inferior product and a much higher tolerance for wasting money.

Even better, maybe Apple will debut the "real" video iPod sooner rather than later. It would suck to miss the holiday shopping season, but Apple tends to do that.
the Zune is out?! where ZI can go to see it? Comp USA maybe? I'm courious to see what it look like..

ajprice
Professional Poster
Nov 14, 2006, 10:20 AM

The Zune's screen is physically bigger, but the resolution is the same 240x320 pixels as a 5g iPod.

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

jasong
Mac Elite
Nov 14, 2006, 11:22 AM

From MS Zune page:

[1] The Zune to Zune sharing feature may not be available for all audio files on your device, and works only between Zune devices within wireless range of each other [up to 30 feet]. This feature allows recipients to play full-length sample tracks up to 3 times in 3 days. Recipients cannot re-send music that they have received via the sharing feature.

Actually, I wish Apple had come up with this first, and done it right. If I send you a song from my band, why should that song be under the same restrictions as the one I bought and that you don't own? Universal doesn't own my song (are they stealing from me maybe?). It is a great idea, but with slow transfers, few users, and onerous restrictions, it's a useless feature.

Anyway, to address the original topic. I would have to say that since the iPod has the marketshare and the mindshare, it is really far from even being close to too late for a new iPod.
-- Jason

I WAS the One  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 15, 2006, 11:31 PM

I was on Comp USA an hour ago, and let me tell you, they didn't have it yet. they show me some kind of Zune fake plastic toy just to let know to people how it looks like... and it SUCKS a lot!!! it seems like going back to the future! pretty EIGHTIES! I mean, the first iPod wasn't that ugly when it start it's debut! damn! Apple doesn't need to make nothing to impress this chrismas! it won already! Creative guys got a better looking device than this guys! and other thing, Isaw the new Archos 404, and hey!! it's nothing like a brick this time! I mean, Mine its a Damn Brick, but the new models aren't. just wanted to comment about that! see ya!

analogika
Posting Junkie
Nov 16, 2006, 06:25 AM

Lay off the coke; it'll help you stop shouting!

I WAS the One  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 16, 2006, 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by analogika View Post
Lay off the coke; it'll help you stop shouting!
huh?

ecking01
Forum Regular
Nov 18, 2006, 04:02 AM

The archos is a pretty nice unit, if you like it and it works with mac and plays the file types you like go for it.

simdude
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 18, 2006, 08:49 AM

Well... I mean, Too Late for showing off?
Too late for showing off??? Rather than worrying that other people think you have a "cool" device, pick the one that works for you. It doesn't matter what anyone on this board thinks. If you love a device that weighs 6 pounds but is perfect for you, buy it.

acorder
Forum Regular
Nov 18, 2006, 08:58 AM

I agree with simdude. I mean, that's why I own a Newton...

phillyjoe
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 18, 2006, 04:57 PM

the Zune is out?! where ZI can go to see it? Comp USA maybe? I'm courious to see what it look like..
It's brown. Like crap.

holstien
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 19, 2006, 08:39 PM

If you are looking for something to show if, it might behoof you to get a gym membership and study philosophy, quantum mechanics, poetry, and art.

Demonstrations of physical, intellectual, emotional, and artistic prowess are probably going to make a much stronger impression on people than a little plastic box that can play John Tesh music.

To boot, these skills are probably instrumental in impressing those with whom you wish to start a romantic relationship.

Further, your studies might help you do something to improve society, whereas it might be argued that your little plastic box is anti-social and isolationist.
->Crafted with care by the red-bearded pirate<-

steamy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 21, 2006, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by phillyjoe View Post
It's brown. Like crap.
Change your diet. More vegetables should bring a paler shade to it....

Feature-wise Zune is only half-ready to compete with iPod.
All features M$ advertises are not quite there.

Take wireless as an example. This does not even work with computer. I do not even think it works with xbox, please correct me if I am wrong. Why the heck do they think anybody would be crazy about sharing a track with another Zune user for 3 days? That's all that you can do with the wireless on Zune.
No podcast subscription support? That's strange. No Vista support? This is funny.

Forum Links
Forum Rules