Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Fresh Install

Fresh Install
MacLover08
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 18, 2006, 06:58 PM

Alright, so i jsut got my 1st Mac. A Macbook Pro. After browsing these forums for awhile i noticed that everyone recommends doing a fresh install of the OS to get ride of all the extra language options and free up some space. But to be completley honest with you all....i have had this laptop for about an hour and have NO idea on how to do this. So i have come to do you for help. Any advice is greatly appreciated!

wingdo
Senior User
Nov 18, 2006, 07:19 PM

I honestly see no reason for a fresh install on a brand new machine. None at all. I would think that you have plenty of space on your drive and the hassle of a re-install just to save 1-2 GB seems nuts. But if you want to .... Insert Disc 1 which came with your Book, and once it mounts click on Install Mac OS X and Applications. It will restart, and follow the prompts. When you chose the hard drive to install on, click on options and choose the bottom option of the three choices. On the next step click customize and un-check everything you do not think you will want (languages and applications you will never use) and let the thing go. Or you could just ignore the fact Spanish is installed (as well as a bazillion others) and just have fun your your new Book. GarageBand (the biggest disc hog) can be removed without a re-install of the OS.
( Last edited by wingdo; Nov 19, 2006 at 12:00 AM. )
MBP - 2.33GHz C2D, 3GB RAM, 256MB VRAM, 160GB HD
PB - 1.5GHz G4, 2GB RAM, 128MB VRAM, 80GB HD
PM - Dual 1GHzG4, 1.5GB RAM, NVidia GForce 3, 2x 80 GB HD

brother337
Forum Regular
Nov 19, 2006, 05:00 AM

I agree with wingdo. There's also the fact that Leapard is coming out (relatively) soon, and you're going to have to do this all over again if you plan on installing it.
15" MacBook Pro Core2Duo 2.33
160gig PMR HD / 2 GB RAM

Simon
Posting Junkie
Nov 19, 2006, 06:33 AM

• insert the install DVD
• reboot and hold c (so it boots from the DVD)
• select a fresh OS X install and chose to format your disk while you're at it
• when the customize button appears hit it
• select stuff you want, deselect stuff you don't (language packages, printer drivers, etc.)
• install - this will delete everything that was on your disk!
• reboot, done

bigmike
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 19, 2006, 08:05 AM

Brother337, which brand of PMR Hd are you using? I wanted to swap my Fujitsu 80gb with a PMR drive. is there any noticeable difference in power consumption? compared with the stock Hd? Thanks.
we are all part of a masterplan.

Forum Links
Forum Rules