Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Unable to empty trash

Unable to empty trash
pastusza
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 11, 2000, 09:52 PM

I have one folder in the trash that just refuses to get discarded. When I empty the trash, it doesn't warn me that it could not delete something. It just refuses to go away. The folder is empty. I did an Option+Empty Trash and it's still there. Techtool finds nothing wrong with the HD.

------------------
Andy Pastuszak
[email protected]
Andy Pastuszak
amp68(spammenot)-at-verizon.net

exa
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 11, 2000, 10:13 PM

This might be the long way but boot up with a boot cd/disk and then trash the file...

oscar
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 11, 2000, 11:13 PM

Could be a few things. Run Disk First aid (DFA), and see if any errors are found. If all goes well with DFA, Use TechTool and Have it rebuild the desktop. I think this should clear up non deletables you might have (whats the file's name?)

------------------
-See Yea!

[This message has been edited by oscar (edited 06-11-2000).]

pastusza  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 12, 2000, 08:26 AM

I used disk first aid AND I rebuilt the desktop. Neither worked. The file is a folder called Enablers, frrom an old installation of Vicomsoft FTP Client.
Andy Pastuszak

wlonh
Professional Poster
Jun 12, 2000, 10:55 AM

strip the resource fork off of it and then trash it?

pastusza  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 12, 2000, 12:28 PM

Ok, I finally got the folder deleted. Believe it or not, the folder had a custom icon and the hidden icon file was locked. I had to go into resedit, unlokc the icon file, make it visible. I then trashed the icon file, but the folder still would not go away.

I then rebuilt my desktop and the folder happily went away when I emptied the trash.

What a pain!!!

------------------
Andy Pastuszak
[email protected]
Andy Pastuszak

reader50
Administrator
Jun 12, 2000, 12:35 PM

Something may be using the file. Your Mac usually will not allow a busy file to be deleted. Booting with extensions off is a good way to get around this.

umm, wlonh ... I don't think folders have resource forks..

Also, this info appeared on MacFixit on a slightly different issue.. it might apply.

Update: your "fixed it" post hadn't appeared yet when I hit reply. Option-Empty Trash should have worked here. There is a free CMM plugin at Alsoft that will easily let you see & make visible any invisible items inside folders/volumes. Change Visibility CMM Plugin (you must select this file from a pop-up menu)

[This message has been edited by reader50 (edited 06-12-2000).]

Forum Links
Forum Rules