Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > first post

first post
conmon
Nov 18, 2006, 07:28 AM

hi

this is my first post on this site so hi

i have looked on macnn and you seem like a bunch of nice people so i though id join

i have a mac mini 1.66 core duo 60 gig hdd 512mb of ram and al the other gubbins

just got it last week and i will never go back to windows

and do you rekon it would be possible to fit a 2.4ghz core 2 duo chip in the mini or will it run to hot or not be compatible?

thanks
( Last edited by conmon; Nov 18, 2006 at 08:11 AM. )

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 18, 2006, 10:58 AM

Welcome to the 'NN Forums!

Oneota
Professional Poster
Nov 18, 2006, 01:10 PM

The 2.4 GHz C2D chip will certainly run hotter than the 1.66 CD. Whether or not it'll run *too* hot is another matter. I'm afraid I'm not really sure. As far as compatibility, I think the two chips are pretty much interchangeable, so it should (in theory, anyway) work.

Someone feel free to contradict me, though.
"Yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation" yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation.

conmon  (op)
Nov 18, 2006, 01:22 PM

the 2.16ghz c2d supposedly runs cooler than the 1.66ghz cd so the 2.4 will run possible as hot as the 1.83ghz cd (im just guessin like)

conmon  (op)
Nov 18, 2006, 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by Oneota View Post
The 2.4 GHz C2D chip will certainly run hotter than the 1.66 CD. Whether or not it'll run *too* hot is another matter. I'm afraid I'm not really sure. As far as compatibility, I think the two chips are pretty much interchangeable, so it should (in theory, anyway) work.

Someone feel free to contradict me, though.
the 2.16 ghz c2d suposedly runs cooler than the 1.66ghz cd

so the 2.4ghz c2d will run as hot as the 1.83ghz cd (im just guessin like )

Oneota
Professional Poster
Nov 18, 2006, 02:50 PM

No, I think that the Core2 chips supposedly run cooler than the Core chips of the same clock speed (so a 2.0 GHz C2D would in theory run cooler than a 2 GHz CD). I'm not sure how much heat savings there is in real-life, though. The whole thing sounds like Marketing propaganda to me.

I would be *very* surprised if a 2.4 GHz chip ran any cooler than a 1.66 GHz chip.
"Yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation" yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation.

Tuoder
Mac Elite
Nov 18, 2006, 06:03 PM

From what I got our ot this search:

yonah vs. merom TDP - Google Search

The Merom's TDP isn't much higher than Yonah's. But, if the chip is faster, than it will finish it's work faster, meaning that it will be able to lower it's clock speed faster. But you still have to allow for the worst of conditions. The difference here in potential heat production is <10% AFAIK. I think that amounts to the exisitng fan operating more often and at higher speeds, but not an overheated system. You might consider getting that app that allows you to control the fans as well.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Nov 18, 2006, 10:48 PM

It should work quite well. Welcome to MacNN! Most of us are friendly, as long as you don't venture into the Lounge.

conmon  (op)
Nov 19, 2006, 06:46 AM

the real reason i want the 2.4ghz chip is that its the only chip that i can find

once i install that chip will the mini be a lot faster
( Last edited by conmon; Nov 19, 2006 at 06:53 AM. )

conmon  (op)
Nov 19, 2006, 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by Tuoder View Post
From what I got our ot this search:

yonah vs. merom TDP - Google Search

The Merom's TDP isn't much higher than Yonah's. But, if the chip is faster, than it will finish it's work faster, meaning that it will be able to lower it's clock speed faster. But you still have to allow for the worst of conditions. The difference here in potential heat production is <10% AFAIK. I think that amounts to the exisitng fan operating more often and at higher speeds, but not an overheated system. You might consider getting that app that allows you to control the fans as well.

sorry what application was it

CheesePuff
Professional Poster
Nov 19, 2006, 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by conmon View Post
the real reason i want the 2.4ghz chip is that its the only chip that i can find

once i install that chip will the mini be a lot faster
NewEgg.com and many other sites sell the 1.83, 2.0, 2.16 GHz models (at least in the US.)

Yes these will be faster because of the larger L2 cache size. The 2.16 GHz processor is a popular upgrade for mini user's.

Tuoder
Mac Elite
Nov 19, 2006, 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by conmon View Post
sorry what application was it
http://www.lobotomo.com/products/FanControl/index.html
http://81.169.182.62/~eidac/software/page5/page5.html

That was a quick Google of it.

conmon  (op)
Nov 19, 2006, 11:00 AM

ooh thank you

Forum Links