Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > 2nd HD crashed how can I recover the files

2nd HD crashed how can I recover the files
erw
Forum Regular
Nov 18, 2006, 05:15 AM

Got a new WD 500Gb drive to keep all my multimedia files on. I had transfered everything onto it (250Gb) and was in the process of organising the back up when after a reboot it went ker-chunk ker-chunk ker-chunk etc and won't mount anymore

How can i recover the data????

please help!!!

mac128k-1984
Mac Elite
Nov 18, 2006, 08:58 AM

I suppose you don't have a backup?

If the drive is DOA your options are limited. I'd try one of the drive utilties available for the mac
Michael

erw  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 18, 2006, 09:46 AM

That was the problem, I was shuffling files around to create a backup!

What drive utilities could u recomment?

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Nov 18, 2006, 08:46 PM

If it's making the noises you describe, it's EXCEEDINGLY unlikely that any software can recover your data. If you have DiskWarrior, try it; it can overcome some hardware problems. Prosoft's DataRescue II can deal with broken hardware even better -- there's a free demo version that will do a full scan (but only recover 1 file without buying it). Either way, don't expect miracles. If those two things fail, the only recourse left is to send it off to DriveSavers and part with several thousand dollars.

tooki

peterthorn
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 20, 2006, 02:25 PM

A couple of tricks:
- if the HD is installed inside the mac, you could try to put it in an external cabinet.
- you could also try to (gently) try different positions (in the cabinet), meaning upside down or sideways etc.
- it could also be worth putting it in a plastic bag, remove all air, put it in you freezer in around 30 mins. and then try again - in the machine or in a cabinet.

Good luck,
Peter

erw  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 23, 2006, 05:36 PM

I did a bit of surfing for data recovery progs and found a few, only Prosoft's DataRescue II worked (wish I read your post earlier tooki!) $100 lighter but I am so relieved!!! Got everything back! If anyone else finds themself in this situation I can highly recommend this software.

Thanks for all the advice! If I had not returned the drive I would love to try the freezer trick!

Thanks for all the help guys!

Forum Links
Forum Rules