Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > 3 week old MBP Problem - Can I exchange?

3 week old MBP Problem - Can I exchange?
yfzcentral
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 21, 2006, 02:13 AM

The aluminum under the latch is parting from the case. It 'bows' out. Since my 14 day trial is over, what can I do? Can I call and get a new computer or take the computer in?

I'm a switcher btw.

Thanks

brokenjago
Mac Elite
Nov 21, 2006, 04:04 AM

You can take the computer into your local Apple store and have them take a look at it.
Linkinus is king.

bloodline
Forum Regular
Nov 21, 2006, 09:26 AM

I think all MBPs do this. Not to say it's not a problem, but if you get a new one... it will do the same.
( Last edited by bloodline; Nov 21, 2006 at 09:58 AM. )
2.8 Ghz Unibody MacBook Pro 15" - 4GB Ram - Logic Pro 8.0
2.33 Ghz C2D MacBook Pro 15" - 3GB Ram - Logic Pro 7.2
1.5 Ghz G4 PowerBook 12" - 1.25GB Ram

schk
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 21, 2006, 01:24 PM

It depends on how extreme the bowing is. You may be able to convince them to send a replacement, but most likely they will have you send it in for repair. Does your problem look like this?

http://www.mymacpower.de/Bilder/mbp2.jpg

I've gone through 3 MBP C2Ds and the second unit had the same exact problem as pictured in the link. In my case, the bulge outwards was the same except that the physical case wasn't separating like the one pictured. I was able to get a replacement, because not only was the case warped, but strip of metal inside the latch where the hooks attach to was misaligned and caused the left latch to fail to engage.

I just got my 3rd unit only to discover they sent me a MBP whose box was opened twice and resealed (and no the unit was not inspected by anyone prior to being shipped to me). I will be talking to Customer Relations today...

Scifience
Mac Elite
Nov 21, 2006, 01:40 PM

They should definitely do something for you. I'm not sure whether they will repair it or replace it.

My new C2D MBP has no such problem, so it isn't something that happens with all of them - in my book, that makes it a defect.

ONG
Nov 21, 2006, 04:35 PM

that's pretty bad. i'm not paying that amount of money to get a unit w/ that kind of issue. send it back.

yfzcentral  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 21, 2006, 04:50 PM

I just got off the phone with tech support and they said that I can take it in to get repaired at my local compUSA or store. He said a replacement would take 7 days.

What should I do? Call again and ask for a replacement to be sent? Will they send another computer and then I just send mine back?

schk
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 21, 2006, 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by yfzcentral View Post
I just got off the phone with tech support and they said that I can take it in to get repaired at my local compUSA or store. He said a replacement would take 7 days.

What should I do? Call again and ask for a replacement to be sent? Will they send another computer and then I just send mine back?
Assuming your problem is just like the one I provided a link to a picture, then getting it fixed would require removing case to replace the bottom portion. It's up to you to decide if you feel they are competent enough not to screw something else up when putting the casing back together.

As far as the replacement, they may be willing to send your replacement as soon as you have proof that the return item is on it's way (using the FedEx tracking #). That is how my 2nd replacement was sent out although I've heard of other people only having their replacement units sent out upon receipt of the return package.

yfzcentral  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 21, 2006, 08:22 PM

I called again and am getting to MBP replaced. Just have to take it to a local apple store and they will swap it for a new one. Very cool! Hope they have a stock 15'' in stock.

Forum Links
Forum Rules