Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Help with OS 9.1

Help with OS 9.1
Sergius
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 1, 2001, 01:19 PM

I recently upgraded from OS 8.6 to 9.0.4 with no problems (on a strawberry 333MHz iMac with a NewerTech 467MHz CPU upgrade). Then I ran the 9.1 upgrade and I have multiple problems.
1) Every time I boot, my desktop and hard drive are locked - nothing can be moved or changed, although new items can be downloaded. Also items can be sent to the Trash via Contextual Menu but not by dragging. Running Disk First Aid reports no problems on the hard drive, but fixes the problem anyway. I now have DFA in my Startup folder! Nothing else helped (TechTool desktop rebuild, PRAM zap, Disk Warrior).
2) The OS 9 Monitors control panel crashes big time evry time I try it. The OS 8.6 Monitors cp works fine.
3) The AppleScript Script Editor locks up the whole system when any script is loaded.

Anybody got a clue what's going on here?

Thanks

Forgot to include:
4) Claris Emailer scheduled mail retrieval will no longer work unless the "log off when finished" option is left unchecked.

Also, I didn't have the locked after boot problem until Software Update did a software update of ColorSync, Open Transport, and some other stuff last week.

[ 07-01-2001: Message edited by: Sergius ]

Whoops! This was meant to start a new thread - not a new topic. Oh well...

[ 07-01-2001: Message edited by: Sergius ]

reader50
Administrator
Jul 1, 2001, 03:36 PM

Remove CarbonLib 1.3.1 and replace with CarbonLib 1.2.5

I got mad at 9.1 and downgraded files back to 9.0.4 a while ago. I just replaced a few system files as needed. If you still have problems after fixing the CarbonLib issue you describe, ask. I'll post the file list to return to 9.0.4.

What is the difference between a new topic and a new thread? I thought they were the same thing. We call them threads, infopop calls them topics.

Sergius  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 1, 2001, 05:55 PM

Originally posted by reader50:
<STRONG>Remove CarbonLib 1.3.1 and replace with CarbonLib 1.2.5

I got mad at 9.1 and downgraded files back to 9.0.4 a while ago. I just replaced a few system files as needed. If you still have problems after fixing the CarbonLib issue you describe, ask. I'll post the file list to return to 9.0.4.

What is the difference between a new topic and a new thread? I thought they were the same thing. We call them threads, infopop calls them topics.</STRONG>
I decided to do the classic conflict detection -- used Extension Manager to load just OS 9.1 base extensions. The locked desktop problem disappeared. Then I loaded the OS 9.1 All set. Still no locked desktop.

One or two at a time, I added back all of the control panels and extensions I've been using, rebooting after each change. No locked desktop.

As far as I can tell, I'm back to my original set of cp's and extensions, but problem #1 is no longer there.

You're right that I've got CarbonLib 1.3.1 installed. I thought I saw somewhere this morning that CarbonLib 1.4 is out. I'll try 1.2.5 and see if it fixes the other problems.

Thanks.

bluetooth
Forum Regular
Jul 4, 2001, 05:44 PM

There is a program you can download that makes catching conflicts between exetensions etc.

I think it is called "conflict catcher" , check versiontracker to get it.
All those who believe in psychokinesis raise my hand.

Cipher13
Jul 5, 2001, 12:54 AM

Originally posted by bluetooth:
<STRONG>There is a program you can download that makes catching conflicts between exetensions etc.

I think it is called "conflict catcher" , check versiontracker to get it.</STRONG>
I recommend against conflict catcher... causes more problems than it fixes...

Sergius  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 5, 2001, 01:18 AM

I discovered that my locked desktop problem was caused by trying to run without loading the Multiple Users extension. OS 9.1 doesn't like it if you don't load that extension.

The Applescript lock-ups went away after I follow Apple's advice to move my "additional scripts" folder (an alternative to switching to CarbonLib 1.25).

The other two problems are still there, but I can live with Emailer not closing down a connection after checking the mail, and I haven't had time to fiddle with the 9.1 Monitors control panel any more. The OS 8.6 control panel still works fine, and I threw away the 9.1 file and haven't felt like doing another installation to get it back.

Thanks everybody for the tips.

OverclockedHomoSapien
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 6, 2001, 02:33 AM

I recommend against conflict catcher... causes more problems than it fixes...
LOL, Cipher's right on that one! I installed CC8 on my Mac (OS 9.1), and the CC8 extension itself caused a conflict. I ran CC8, and it narrowed the problem down to the Apple CD driver. For kicks I disabled the driver, and the mac booted fine. I enabled the driver, and the mac booted fine. Then about 10% of the time booting the system would cause a freeze.

All problems ended upon removing CC8 from my HD.

All CC8 does is test for problems with different combos of extensions...something anybody can do. Oh, and it also replaces your extensions manager with a new one, that does the same thing as the old. CC8 would be ok if it were shareware, but to sell it as a real product is borderline insanity.
[FONT="book antiqua"]"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be."
- Thomas Jefferson, 1816.[/FONT]

Forum Links
Forum Rules