Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > upgraded from 9.0 -> 9.1 rebuilding desktop takes forever!

upgraded from 9.0 -> 9.1 rebuilding desktop takes forever!
Nicko
Professional Poster
Jul 3, 2001, 04:40 AM

I upgraded from os 9.01 to 9.1 about 2 weeks ago and now when I rebuild the desktop instead of taking about 3-5min it takes about 20-30min!!!! what is going on? It takes this long even when I use the latest techtool. Anyway, its pretty annoying, anyone have any ideas? Could it be that the harddrive has somehow become extreamly fragmented? or....

Jeff75
Forum Regular
Jul 3, 2001, 12:38 PM

TechTool is pretty good, but I had great success with Disk Warrior. I highly recommend it, even if it means spending another $80. My old beige G3/300 MT now screams. All I did was rebuild the directory of each hard drive partition by starting up from the Disk Warrior CD. I then defraged all the drives while starting up from the CD, too. It worked great. TechTool actually crashed my computer when I tried the same thing with it.
MBP 17" Core i7 matte screen; iPad 16Gb 3G

Forum Links
Forum Rules