Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Startup Disk / RAM disk

Startup Disk / RAM disk
TheGreatButcher
Senior User
Jul 12, 2001, 01:50 PM

I know that booting from a RAM disk on G3 and later Macs has been disabled by Mac techs, but according to Mac Secrets there's a way to do it it's just been disabled by the techs because it was considered not always reliable. I've put a system folder on my RAM Disk and although it shows up in the Startup Disk control panel it's dimmed out. Anyone have any possible solutions on how to get around this?

AppleScript
Forum Regular
Jul 12, 2001, 02:46 PM

The reason why starting up from a RAM disk was disabled in G3 or later models was that these computers take longer to initialize than the RAM can sustain it's contents without power. Therefore, if you put a System Folder on a RAM disk, it is gone by the time you restart.

(53)

Cipher13
Jul 19, 2001, 07:47 AM

Originally posted by AppleScript:
<STRONG>The reason why starting up from a RAM disk was disabled in G3 or later models was that these computers take longer to initialize than the RAM can sustain it's contents without power. Therefore, if you put a System Folder on a RAM disk, it is gone by the time you restart.

(53)</STRONG>
The way it worked was, given a terminate appleevent (like restart, shutdown), the contents were saved to the HD, then read at startup. Given a crash, contents would be lost.

The contents have to be copied to RAM, which is limited to the HD's speed anyway...

Now the reason it was disabled, well, that was during the change from the Old World Macs to the New World Macs (OWR/NRW). Just one of those things

[ 07-19-2001: Message edited by: Cipher13 ]

RedHerring
Forum Regular
Jul 19, 2001, 01:04 PM

Silly newbie question alert:

What exactly is a RAM disk? I saw the option for it. But I dunno what it is?
RedHerring: Trying to do more than convert air into carbon dioxide since 1979...

AppleScript
Forum Regular
Jul 19, 2001, 02:03 PM

A RAM disk is a disk whose contents are found in the main computer RAM. The advantage of using one is that it is extremely fast. The problem is that having one uses up some of your main RAM, and that it's contents are erased upon shutdown.

(57)

Forum Links
Forum Rules