Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Hi-Fi MP3/WAV player?

Hi-Fi MP3/WAV player?
Doofy
Clinically Insane
Nov 30, 2006, 01:29 AM

I don't know if anyone remembers this but a while ago someone posted a link to an MP3/WAV/AIFF player in the shape of a hi-fi separate. I remember the company was particularly pushing it as something of interest to fans of classical music.

I can't for the life of me remember what the thing was called and where to find it. And of course, Google's completely useless because any relevant keywords come up with a billion pages of "hi-fi mp3-playing mobile phones".

Anyone remember what this bit of kit was? Thanks chaps.

Sbtrfuge
Baninated
Nov 30, 2006, 02:24 AM

Roku?

Sbtrfuge
Baninated
Nov 30, 2006, 02:24 AM

Also... um... why? Hook your computer up to your stereo if you're using components. It's a lot easier.

Doofy  (op)
Clinically Insane
Nov 30, 2006, 02:31 AM

Originally Posted by Sbtrfuge View Post
Roku?
No, that wasn't it - it was much more upmarket.

Also... um... why? Hook your computer up to your stereo if you're using components. It's a lot easier.
Because I don't want a computer in the space I'm thinking of putting it in.

Doofy  (op)
Clinically Insane
Nov 30, 2006, 02:38 AM

Never mind, I've got it.

Olive Opus
( Last edited by Doofy; Nov 30, 2006 at 02:51 AM. )

Sbtrfuge
Baninated
Nov 30, 2006, 02:42 AM

Wow. That sure has blatent ipod ripoff written all over it. Look at the display. Sheesh.

Doofy  (op)
Clinically Insane
Nov 30, 2006, 02:52 AM

Wow. That sure has blatent ipod ripoff written all over it. Look at the display. Sheesh.
If you could get an iPod in a non-portable case with a 750 Gb HD, I'd buy the iPod instead.

Sbtrfuge
Baninated
Nov 30, 2006, 03:08 AM

... how much do these cost? Maybe I'll build you one.

Railroader
Banned
Nov 30, 2006, 03:16 AM

Doofy: That does look pretty sweet. Have you found any good reviews I could read?

Railroader
Banned
Nov 30, 2006, 03:18 AM

... how much do these cost? Maybe I'll build you one.
$3k-$4k depending on hard drive size. Can you make one audiophile quality with a remote and with the same size factor and esthetics? Thanks.

Sbtrfuge
Baninated
Nov 30, 2006, 03:24 AM

Actually I think it'd be pretty easy. iPod without a hard drive: $50. Huge IDE hard drive: $500. Generic metal box that size: Cheap. Take apart hte ipod and rewire the buttons on more spots, and instead of a minijack make some RCAs. As for the remote, just get an ipod remote.

It'd definitely be doable. As for 'audiophile quality', please realize this is a device that plays MP3s and whatnot. It is most definitely NOT audiophile quality.

Sbtrfuge
Baninated
Nov 30, 2006, 03:25 AM

Command-Tab � iPod Super

Like this, only hardwire the buttons to the front of the panel, and use some bondo to make the front panel rather interesting. Either that or do it in metal. Or do it in bondo then vacuum form it. Tons of options really. Maybe I'll build one sometime.

Doofy  (op)
Clinically Insane
Nov 30, 2006, 04:19 AM

Originally Posted by Railroader View Post
Doofy: That does look pretty sweet. Have you found any good reviews I could read?
Sorry, no. The only thing I found was something on The Register - but it's not a review (rather a heads-up preview):

http://www.theregister.com/2005/07/29/olive_symphony/

Doofy  (op)
Clinically Insane
Nov 30, 2006, 04:27 AM

Actually I think it'd be pretty easy. iPod without a hard drive: $50. Huge IDE hard drive: $500. Generic metal box that size: Cheap. Take apart hte ipod and rewire the buttons on more spots, and instead of a minijack make some RCAs. As for the remote, just get an ipod remote.
Don't forget to leave space for the Burr-Browns. And don't forget to stick a half-decent master clock in there. And don't forget to pop in a http interface so you can edit playlists from any browser. And don't forget the FLAC codecs.

Doofy  (op)
Clinically Insane
Nov 30, 2006, 04:30 AM

Oh, and I just realised: Sbtrfuge is probably Rob. Call it a hunch. Hi Rob, how's it going?

Nexus5
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 30, 2006, 04:50 AM

Originally Posted by Doofy View Post
I don't know if anyone remembers this but a while ago someone posted a link to an MP3/WAV/AIFF player in the shape of a hi-fi separate. I remember the company was particularly pushing it as something of interest to fans of classical music.

I can't for the life of me remember what the thing was called and where to find it. And of course, Google's completely useless because any relevant keywords come up with a billion pages of "hi-fi mp3-playing mobile phones".

Anyone remember what this bit of kit was? Thanks chaps.

Slim Devices' Transporter™

Seems to be a fine piece of hardware.

nexus5.

Doofy  (op)
Clinically Insane
Nov 30, 2006, 05:27 AM

Originally Posted by Nexus5 View Post
Slim Devices' Transporter™

Seems to be a fine piece of hardware.
Sweet - another one to check out. Thanks nexus.

Railroader
Banned
Nov 30, 2006, 09:02 AM

It'd definitely be doable. As for 'audiophile quality', please realize this is a device that plays MP3s and whatnot. It is most definitely NOT audiophile quality.
But it's not playing MP3s. It stores the files in lossless format. It IS audiophile quality.

And there are varying levels of sound quality between the iPods alone. I want something that sounds better than an iPod.

hi robbie podell

badidea
Professional Poster
Nov 30, 2006, 09:27 AM

Never mind, I've got it.

Olive Opus
Looks pretty much like the Hermstedt Hifidelio!

Sbtrfuge
Baninated
Nov 30, 2006, 09:29 AM

Don't forget to leave space for the Burr-Browns. And don't forget to stick a half-decent master clock in there. And don't forget to pop in a http interface so you can edit playlists from any browser. And don't forget the FLAC codecs.

The playlists would be tricky. Not quite sure how I'd pull that one off. Or FLAC codecs...but what's wrong with apple's lossless? Further more, are these features worth paying a $3500 premium?

Railroader
Banned
Nov 30, 2006, 09:37 AM

The playlists would be tricky. Not quite sure how I'd pull that one off. Or FLAC codecs...but what's wrong with apple's lossless? Further more, are these features worth paying a $3500 premium?
Just stop now. no need to dig a deeper hole.

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Nov 30, 2006, 10:38 AM

You could start with a G4 mini and add a firewire HD, remote, and volume knob. And maybe a small LCD screen.

Sbtrfuge
Baninated
Nov 30, 2006, 12:11 PM

Just stop now. no need to dig a deeper hole.
I don't see how it's a hole. Spending $3500 for something that an iPod does for $300 seems to be pretty retarded. If it's the form factor, I think it's much more intelligent to hack up an ipod with a dead hard drive than it is to spend that much money.

Seriously... which ipod would work best? Obviously the first generation has the real scroll wheel, and real buttons, so that'd be easier to change button positions with some fairly simple wiring... but it also lacks an ipod 'port', thus getting a remote to work for it would be a bit more tricky. The hard drive is solved in the link I posted... you could even do a RAID array if you wanted to, using a powered raid setup. The iPod screen is about the same size as that piece of equipment, so that'd be fine. Also, you could throw a firewire port on the front or back of the thing to add more music.

The problem with using a MINI for this instead is that I'm not aware of any applications that display a gigantic 'iPod like" display and interface available for osx.

That company is making a huge profit on that thing. If you feel that it's worth spending money on, congrats.

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Nov 30, 2006, 01:00 PM

I don't see how it's a hole. Spending $3500 for something that an iPod does for $300 seems to be pretty retarded. If it's the form factor, I think it's much more intelligent to hack up an ipod with a dead hard drive than it is to spend that much money.

Seriously... which ipod would work best? Obviously the first generation has the real scroll wheel, and real buttons, so that'd be easier to change button positions with some fairly simple wiring... but it also lacks an ipod 'port', thus getting a remote to work for it would be a bit more tricky. The hard drive is solved in the link I posted... you could even do a RAID array if you wanted to, using a powered raid setup. The iPod screen is about the same size as that piece of equipment, so that'd be fine. Also, you could throw a firewire port on the front or back of the thing to add more music.

The problem with using a MINI for this instead is that I'm not aware of any applications that display a gigantic 'iPod like" display and interface available for osx.

That company is making a huge profit on that thing. If you feel that it's worth spending money on, congrats.
That device also rips CDs for you. Not saying that warrants the extra $$ but the iPod doesn't do all of that. Also, have you heard of this little-known program called Front Row? It shows album art, current song and artist, lets you browse through playlists and all of your music, and if you were to hook the mini up to a TV, you could watch downloaded videos and stuff from it too. Just a thought.

Railroader
Banned
Nov 30, 2006, 08:58 PM

You're obviously deaf. You should buy a zune.

Sbtrfuge
Baninated
Nov 30, 2006, 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by Gossamer View Post
That device also rips CDs for you. Not saying that warrants the extra $$ but the iPod doesn't do all of that. Also, have you heard of this little-known program called Front Row? It shows album art, current song and artist, lets you browse through playlists and all of your music, and if you were to hook the mini up to a TV, you could watch downloaded videos and stuff from it too. Just a thought.
Front row does not display text clear enough to work on a front LCD panel though. That's the cool thing. The little ipod display.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Nov 30, 2006, 11:48 PM

But it's not playing MP3s. It stores the files in lossless format. It IS audiophile quality.

And there are varying levels of sound quality between the iPods alone. I want something that sounds better than an iPod.

hi robbie podell
While I find such devices interesting... 3-4K IMHO is absolutely crazy.

Don't I get the same quality from my Airport Express considering the audio is digital/lossless to the receiver?

I'd buy a MacBook and hack it to have a touch screen 7" LCD.

Sbtrfuge
Baninated
Dec 1, 2006, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by mitchell_pgh View Post

Don't I get the same quality from my Airport Express considering the audio is digital/lossless to the receiver?

I'd buy a MacBook and hack it to have a touch screen 7" LCD.
Ditto. Luckily there are people dumb enough in the world to pay that much for such a simple device. It means there should be jobs for anybody.

Doofy  (op)
Clinically Insane
Dec 1, 2006, 12:20 PM

No. We've been through this a million times. The quality of playback in a digital device is directly linked to the quality of the components.

Ditto. Luckily there are people dumb enough in the world to pay that much for such a simple device. It means there should be jobs for anybody.
If your ears can't hear the difference then that's your problem, not mine.

namannik
Senior User
Dec 1, 2006, 12:38 PM

No. We've been through this a million times. The quality of playback in a digital device is directly linked to the quality of the components.
The point is that you can connect an AirPort Express to a high-quality receiver through its digital optical audio connection. With this setup, the quality is only limited to that of your receiver. (...and the format of the audio being streamed to the AirPort Express, of course.)

kikkoman
Senior User
Dec 1, 2006, 12:49 PM

Airport Express + MacBook
Rip your CDs using no compression or Apple Lossless.
Airport Express digital out to external DAC, like Benchmark DAC1, Lavry Black or the digital input of your receiver.
Use iTunes to play and manage playlists.

Doofy  (op)
Clinically Insane
Dec 1, 2006, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by namannik View Post
The point is that you can connect an AirPort Express to a high-quality receiver through its digital optical audio connection. With this setup, the quality is only limited to that of your receiver. (...and the format of the audio being streamed to the AirPort Express, of course.)
Originally Posted by kikkoman View Post
Airport Express + MacBook
Rip your CDs using no compression or Apple Lossless.
Airport Express digital out to external DAC, like Benchmark DAC1, Lavry Black or the digital input of your receiver.
Use iTunes to play and manage playlists.
Listen. If I wanted to use a computer and Airport Express to do it, I wouldn't have posted this thread, would I?

Sbtrfuge
Baninated
Dec 1, 2006, 01:11 PM

If your ears can't hear the difference then that's your problem, not mine.
So you're telling me you can tell the difference between a 256kb AAC file, apple lossless, and whatever format this player uses?

Sure. And monkeys fly outta my butt.

Sbtrfuge
Baninated
Dec 1, 2006, 01:12 PM

Listen. If I wanted to use a computer and Airport Express to do it, I wouldn't have posted this thread, would I?

Seriously dude. I'll build you something comparable for 2gs. Hit me up in a few weeks.a

Doofy  (op)
Clinically Insane
Dec 1, 2006, 01:18 PM

So you're telling me you can tell the difference between a 256kb AAC file, apple lossless, and whatever format this player uses?
I could tell the difference between a 44.1 KHz CD and a 48 KHz DAT in a blind test if you wanted me to.

Doofy  (op)
Clinically Insane
Dec 1, 2006, 01:19 PM

Seriously dude. I'll build you something comparable for 2gs. Hit me up in a few weeks.a
Seriously dude, where you gonna get the Burr-Browns and low-jitter clock from?

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Dec 1, 2006, 02:12 PM

RAW airport express (or direct for a Mac) digital to a nice digital receiver... It's the same 1s and 0s that would be coming out of the 3K to 4K device.

I guess my point was... these $3K to $4K devices offer nothing more than a MacBook in terms of audio output quality.

For under $2K, you could get a MacBook, a 7" touch screen and a backup HD (can't wait for Time Machine) which IMHO is much more versatile.

Also, regarding your "Listen, If I wanted..." comment, perhaps you should have posted it in the "Digital Video & Audio" forum.
( Last edited by mitchell_pgh; Dec 1, 2006 at 02:19 PM. )

Doofy  (op)
Clinically Insane
Dec 1, 2006, 04:29 PM

RAW airport express (or direct for a Mac) digital to a nice digital receiver... It's the same 1s and 0s that would be coming out of the 3K to 4K device.
No.

I guess my point was... these $3K to $4K devices offer nothing more than a MacBook in terms of audio output quality.
No.

And before you continue digging a hole for yourself, please try and remember what I used to do for a living.

Also, regarding your "Listen, If I wanted..." comment, perhaps you should have posted it in the "Digital Video & Audio" forum.
Consumer audio devices are discussed in the lounge.

Sbtrfuge
Baninated
Dec 1, 2006, 05:00 PM

(Maybe we should leave so we don't shatter Doofy's world of make believe)

Railroader
Banned
Dec 1, 2006, 05:47 PM

Astounding. Are you claiming that the airport express has audiophile quality sound processing?

Railroader
Banned
Dec 1, 2006, 05:47 PM

(Maybe we should leave so we don't shatter Doofy's world of make believe)
Being banned you shouldn't be here in the first place.

kikkoman
Senior User
Dec 1, 2006, 05:55 PM

Astounding. Are you claiming that the airport express has audiophile quality sound processing?
Well of course not. That's why you bypass it by using it's digital out. From Stereophile review of Airport Express...

"Some audiophiles have dissed the AirPort Express on the grounds that its digital output is not bit-accurate. However, I found that this was not the case, that the data appearing on the AE's digital output were identical in the original file. To check this, I compared a WAV file with a duplicate that I had captured on my PC from the AirPort Express's S/PDIF output. I used iTunes on my PowerBook playing a version of the file encoded with Apple Lossless Compression to feed data to the AE. The files were bit-for-bit identical, proving that the AirPort Express is transparent to the music data (as is ALC, for that matter)."

I have paired the Airport Express with a Benchmark DAC1 and the results are excellent.

Doofy  (op)
Clinically Insane
Dec 1, 2006, 06:09 PM

I have paired the Airport Express with a Benchmark DAC1 and the results are excellent.
And how does that sound without using a computer? Any good?

namannik
Senior User
Dec 1, 2006, 06:27 PM

Most of us would prefer to spend $150 on an AirPort express and use the computer we already own to stream music to our stereo. Doofy, on the other hand, is in the minority here. Although there is no difference in sound quality bewteen the digital output of an AirPort Express and the Olive Opus, he doesn't mind spending $3000 for the convenience of not having to use a computer as part of his home stereo setup. Let's just leave it at that and let the issue go.

Doofy  (op)
Clinically Insane
Dec 1, 2006, 06:50 PM

Most of us would prefer to spend $150 on an AirPort express and use the computer we already own to stream music to our stereo. Doofy, on the other hand, is in the minority here. Although there is no difference in sound quality bewteen the digital output of an AirPort Express and the Olive Opus, he doesn't mind spending $3000 for the convenience of not having to use a computer as part of his home stereo setup. Let's just leave it at that and let the issue go.
• Who said it was for my home stereo?

• I asked what the box was, not about how to do it on the cheap with an AE. I want a single box with analogue output, no computer involved.

• This is a hi-fi thread, not an AE thread. If it was an AE thread, I'd have posted it in the appropriate section. You want to talk about AE, go make your own thread.

• I didn't ask for anyone's advice on how to do things.

kikkoman
Senior User
Dec 1, 2006, 06:50 PM

And how does that sound without using a computer? Any good?
I got great results from the Benchmark DAC1 regardless the source.

namannik
Senior User
Dec 1, 2006, 06:52 PM

• Who said it was for my home stereo?

• I asked what the box was, not about how to do it on the cheap with an AE. I want a single box with analogue output, no computer involved.

• This is a hi-fi thread, not an AE thread. If it was an AE thread, I'd have posted it in the appropriate section. You want to talk about AE, go make your own thread.

• I didn't ask for anyone's advice on how to do things.
I guess that's the last time I ever come to somebody's defense around here.

Doofy  (op)
Clinically Insane
Dec 1, 2006, 06:54 PM

I guess that's the last time I ever come to somebody's defense around here.
Sorry dude. But up there you were in the "use an AE" crowd. And I'm tired, so failed to differentiate.

Doofy  (op)
Clinically Insane
Dec 1, 2006, 06:57 PM

I got great results from the Benchmark DAC1 regardless the source.
Way to side-step the point. Which is: I don't want to use a feckin computer in this setup. That's why I'm looking at all-in-one boxes.

kikkoman
Senior User
Dec 1, 2006, 07:05 PM

Way to side-step the point. Which is: I don't want to use a feckin computer in this setup. That's why I'm looking at all-in-one boxes.
Well ok, here's another option so you don't get raped.

Cambridge - 640H Music Server-Audio Advisor
Azur 640H Music Server - with AudioFile technology / Azur / Products / Cambridge Audio
( Last edited by kikkoman; Dec 1, 2006 at 07:46 PM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules