Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > I hate Christmas lights

I hate Christmas lights
art_director
Professional Poster
Dec 1, 2006, 04:47 PM

In concept I like them. In practice I do not.

We have an energy issue in the US -- we don't give a rip about how much we waste. IMO Christmas lights are about as wasteful as one can get.

Further...I live on a lake in a distant suburb of the Twin Cities. It's a beautiful place and I enjoy star gazing at night. Unfortunately, 'bout this time of year, the light polution in my neck of the woods spirals out of control.

It's a bummer and I just needed to say it.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Dec 1, 2006, 04:54 PM

I like them. I have some on my house.

EFFENDI
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 1, 2006, 04:54 PM

They're a complete waste of energy, and frankly they aren't that fantastic to look at.
iMac G4 15" 800/512MB/60GB
iMac G5 20" 1.8/768MB/160GB
Mac Mini Core Duo 1.66/2GB/80GB
Mac Pro 2.66/X1900/3GB/3TB /Apple 23" Cinema HD Display

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Dec 1, 2006, 04:58 PM

I was out driving last night and nearly crashed the car 'coz of one display - I laughed so hard.

Basically, it's this giant inflatable snowman beating the poop out of a giant inflatable Santa. Like, really going for it. Don't ask me how the guy did it 'coz I don't know.

Put a smile on my face for the whole evening.

Oh. And screw you miserable humbugging hippies.

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 1, 2006, 04:58 PM

Please, I use to have some lighting my bedroom year round.

starman
Clinically Insane
Dec 1, 2006, 05:01 PM

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

Rumor
Dec 1, 2006, 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by art_director View Post

We have an energy issue in the US -- we don't give a rip about how much we waste. IMO Christmas lights are about as wasteful as one can get.

Further...I live on a lake in a distant suburb of the Twin Cities. It's a beautiful place and I enjoy star gazing at night. Unfortunately, 'bout this time of year, the light polution in my neck of the woods spirals out of control.

Walk house to house and remove one light from each string. It should take a while for the owner to figure out whats wrong.

Originally Posted by Doofy View Post
I was out driving last night and nearly crashed the car 'coz of one display - I laughed so hard.

Basically, it's this giant inflatable snowman beating the poop out of a giant inflatable Santa. Like, really going for it. Don't ask me how the guy did it 'coz I don't know.

Put a smile on my face for the whole evening.

Oh. And screw you miserable humbugging hippies.
Can you get a picture of this?
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

DeathToWindows
Professional Poster
Dec 1, 2006, 05:07 PM

My current thing is the christmas lights on the outside of dorms here at BU - the random-crap-in-window stuff is fine... but sticking ugly lights on the outside of a building (in violation of dept. of housing policy) really gets to me.

Don't try to outweird me, I get stranger things than you free with my breakfast cereal.

Rumor
Dec 1, 2006, 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by starman View Post
Originally Posted by Snopes
A Carson Williams and Family video clip (viewable here or here) shows home Christmas lights synchronized to flash in time to a musical score, in this case Trans-Siberian Orchestra's "Wizard in Winter" (from The Lost Christmas Eve album).
Urban Legends Reference Pages: Carson Williams' 'Wizard in Winter' Christmas Light Display

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Dec 1, 2006, 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by Rumor View Post
Can you get a picture of this?
I'll attempt to get a video of it. Assuming the camera I'm just about to order shows up before Christmas.

art_director  (op)
Professional Poster
Dec 1, 2006, 05:15 PM

Walk house to house and remove one light from each string. It should take a while for the owner to figure out whats wrong.
Not a bad idea at all. :•)

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 1, 2006, 05:26 PM

I love Christmas decorations this time of year. We'll be putting ours up tomorrow - with energy saving LEDs.

Oh, and how many of you who are so concerned abotu saving energy ever switch off:
your Mac
your TV
your cable box
your DVD

and all of the other electrical items that suck current all day, every day. Just sayin'

art_director  (op)
Professional Poster
Dec 1, 2006, 05:27 PM

The stars are my Christmas lights.

Rumor
Dec 1, 2006, 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by Mastrap View Post
I love Christmas decorations this time of year. We'll be putting ours up tomorrow - with energy saving LEDs.

Oh, and how many of you who are so concerned abotu saving energy ever switch off:
your Mac
your TV
your cable box
your DVD

and all of the other electrical items that suck current all day, every day. Just sayin'
Water heater is on a timer (doesn't run during the day)

Everything is off except the fridge.

On really cold days, I'll keep the heat on a little low for the cats.

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 1, 2006, 05:52 PM

Are we on a date?

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Dec 1, 2006, 05:53 PM

So that's why Britney has been flashing a lot lately.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Dec 1, 2006, 06:00 PM

I just set the car alarm off.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

andi*pandi
Dec 1, 2006, 06:03 PM

I'm annoyed that all the lights I used last time are dead now, so I had to use a new box. I hate to throw the old ones out, I know someone with patience could fix them. Not me.

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 1, 2006, 06:40 PM

I too do not like the idea of Christmas lights. They just aren't worth the trouble, energy uses, etc. I also feel the same way about grass lawns. People don't need grass on their lawns. Its a massive waste of water.

People are wasteful beings. Its just a fact of life. We waste without thinking about it. We all do it, no one is exempt. When I get a house of my own (I live in an apartment now), there will be no grass on in my yard, and no Christmas lights. I'm not one of those people who hate on those who do that stuff, but personally I just don't like it so I'm not going to do it.

BTW, I grew up in Arizona, where water is quickly becoming scarce. Yet almost every idiot with a house has lush grass in their yards. Dumping tons of water so that their's is greener than their neighbors. And god forbid anyone to walk on their lawns, they are only for LOOKING at!

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Dec 1, 2006, 06:58 PM

Just use LED lights, they use something like 5% as much power as incandescent.

tooki

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Dec 1, 2006, 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by ::maroma:: View Post
I too do not like the idea of Christmas lights. They just aren't worth the trouble, energy uses, etc. I also feel the same way about grass lawns. People don't need grass on their lawns. Its a massive waste of water.
Actually, the south of the UK is having water supply problems at the moment partly because people are getting rid of their grass lawns. All concrete makes the rain run off into a sort of bypass around the water table.

Addicted to MacNN
Dec 1, 2006, 07:03 PM

Actually, the south of the UK is having water supply problems at the moment partly because people are getting rid of their grass lawns. All concrete makes the rain run off into a sort of bypass around the water table.
Well, I wasn't really thinking that people would replace their grass lawns with concrete. But something less water hungry like gravel or the wood chip type stuff. You'd still have the raw earth underneath, soaking up rain water, but you wouldn't have to water your yard at all.

Railroader
Banned
Dec 1, 2006, 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by tooki View Post
Just use LED lights, they use something like 5% as much power as incandescent.

tooki
Where can I get a string of LCD christmas lights? And how much do you think they will cost?

Rumor
Dec 1, 2006, 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by Railroader View Post
Where can I get a string of LCD christmas lights? And how much do you think they will cost?
LED Christmas Lights - Christmas Lights, Etc

Behold the power of the intarweb.

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 1, 2006, 07:06 PM

Where can't you get them, more likely. Home Depot, Home Hardware, Walmart, they're everywhere.

alligator
Mac Elite
Dec 1, 2006, 07:07 PM

I'm in the Twin Cities and I agree. I refuse to light up the outside of my house. I'm the only one on my whole block without lights. I really do not see the point, and it looks like a pain to put up. I just keep my yard clean and enjoy the snow (whenever it does fall).

MOTHERWELL
Senior User
Dec 1, 2006, 07:09 PM

ba humbug?

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 1, 2006, 07:14 PM

Another depressed loser on MacNN? :gasp:

Addicted to MacNN
Dec 1, 2006, 07:22 PM

Hey Kerrigan, is that Anderson Cooper's face on your sig?

SirCastor
Professional Poster
Dec 1, 2006, 07:58 PM

I love Christmas lights. One of my favorite things to do during the Christmas season is to go on a nice drive in the evening near Christmas with friends/girl and a cup of cocoa.

People ought to be responsible about it though. Don't leave your christmas lights on all night, don't turn them on during the day. One thing that bugs me (unrelated) is that my roommates leave lights on all the time...
2008 iMac 3.06 Ghz, 2GB Memory, GeForce 8800, 500GB HD, SuperDrive
8gb iPhone on Tmobile

Railroader
Banned
Dec 1, 2006, 08:00 PM

LED Christmas Lights - Christmas Lights, Etc

Behold the power of the intarweb.
Thanks.

Not too expensive either.

Did a search at Home Depot and they seem to have some nice sets.

Person Man
Professional Poster
Dec 1, 2006, 08:02 PM

Well, I wasn't really thinking that people would replace their grass lawns with concrete. But something less water hungry like gravel or the wood chip type stuff. You'd still have the raw earth underneath, soaking up rain water, but you wouldn't have to water your yard at all.
Or, you could leave the grass that's there and not water it, like many people do. My parents never watered their yard and I don't water mine.

Andy8
Mac Elite
Dec 1, 2006, 08:28 PM

Just say no to Christmas

brokecollegestudentF04
Banned
Dec 1, 2006, 08:56 PM

Im in owosso michigan.. i recieved a light pollution ordinance violation, they say any lights you put up must not shine further than 5 feet from your house, Now billybobjoefrank- the neighbor down the street has a display that can be seen from space.. but yet these cops dont say a thing to him.. I for one love christmas lights.. I go all out, I love the colors and everything.. I mean i dont put enough up to get me classified as an international airport but I do keep things bright yet tasteful.. The lights usually go up the day after thanksgiving and are taken down the day after new years.. But thank god christmas is here.. More new gadgets for me.. Im hoping macbook

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Dec 1, 2006, 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by brokecollegestudentF04 View Post
Im in owosso michigan.. i recieved a light pollution ordinance violation, they say any lights you put up must not shine further than 5 feet from your house
How on earth do they work that one out? I mean, even the dimmest of lights can be seen more than 5 feet away.

Railroader
Banned
Dec 1, 2006, 09:02 PM

Im in owosso michigan.. i recieved a light pollution ordinance violation, they say any lights you put up must not shine further than 5 feet from your house, Now billybobjoefrank- the neighbor down the street has a display that can be seen from space.. but yet these cops dont say a thing to him.. I for one love christmas lights.. I go all out, I love the colors and everything.. I mean i dont put enough up to get me classified as an international airport but I do keep things bright yet tasteful.. The lights usually go up the day after thanksgiving and are taken down the day after new years.. But thank god christmas is here.. More new gadgets for me.. Im hoping macbook
I didn't know they had such a law on the books in Owosso. Is there a set time that lights can be on. What exactly did they base their violation on?

the_glassman
Mac Elite
Dec 1, 2006, 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by EFFENDI View Post
They're a complete waste of energy, and frankly they aren't that fantastic to look at.
I couldn't have said it better myself.

andi*pandi
Dec 1, 2006, 09:33 PM

How on earth do they work that one out? I mean, even the dimmest of lights can be seen more than 5 feet away.
it's not very logical. At my house, my christmas lights can't compete with the fricking streetlight right in front of my house. It causes more "light pollution" than one string of little blue lights.

brokecollegestudentF04
Banned
Dec 1, 2006, 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by Railroader View Post
I didn't know they had such a law on the books in Owosso. Is there a set time that lights can be on. What exactly did they base their violation on?

according to the violation that was on my door when i returned.. it says any light must not project more than 5 feet in a radius from the light source..

So basically my porch light must be too bright.. It was probably some fat little cop that had nothing else to do but sit on his butt, eat his donuts and harass someone because there was no one out breaking the law..

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
it's not very logical. At my house, my christmas lights can't compete with the fricking streetlight right in front of my house. It causes more "light pollution" than one string of little blue lights.
Exactly... I looked up that ordinance and it only applies to residential areas.. My lights are bright.. and look rather nice but alas they

Now heres my house lit up.. does this constitute too bright in anyones eyes, sorry bout the quality.. my camera sucks

[removed oversize inline image --tooki]
( Last edited by tooki; Dec 2, 2006 at 01:47 PM. )

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 1, 2006, 09:43 PM

How about a Christmas Light widget?

brokecollegestudentF04
Banned
Dec 1, 2006, 10:32 PM

Quite a nice widget but my house is prettier

Railroader
Banned
Dec 2, 2006, 12:15 AM

according to the violation that was on my door when i returned.. it says any light must not project more than 5 feet in a radius from the light source..

So basically my porch light must be too bright.. It was probably some fat little cop that had nothing else to do but sit on his butt, eat his donuts and harass someone because there was no one out breaking the law..

Exactly... I looked up that ordinance and it only applies to residential areas.. My lights are bright.. and look rather nice but alas they

Now heres my house lit up.. does this constitute too bright in anyones eyes, sorry bout the quality.. my camera sucks

[IMG]http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k184/brokecollegestudentf04/DSCF0540.jpg[IMG]
Fight this ticket! That is nothing compared to other houses in your neighborhood. Walk around and take pictures of your neighbors lights. You are being harassed for some reason.

I think your lights look tasteful and not overdone in anyway. It probably increases safety in the area for people who walk your neighborhood in the evening. Your street doesn't have a lot of traffic and these certainly wouldn't be a hazard for drivers.

You are being harassed by the police for some reason.

brokecollegestudentF04
Banned
Dec 2, 2006, 12:19 AM

yeah im going to take it to the courthouse monday.., the lights are just a part of the holidays..

smacintush
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 2, 2006, 12:24 AM

And exactly how was/is it necessary to waste energy spending the last four years of your life posting in this forum?

Get over yourself.
Being in debt and celebrating a lower deficit is like being on a diet and celebrating the fact you gained two pounds this week instead of five.

IceBreaker
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 2, 2006, 12:44 AM

Originally Posted by smacintush View Post
And exactly how was/is it necessary to waste energy spending the last four years of your life posting in this forum?

Get over yourself.

exactly. if you are concerned about wasting energy unplug your computer now and turn off all your lights.

euchomai
Mac Elite
Dec 2, 2006, 12:53 AM

People are wasteful beings. Its just a fact of life. We waste without thinking about it. We all do it, no one is exempt. When I get a house of my own (I live in an apartment now), there will be no grass on in my yard, and no Christmas lights. I'm not one of those people who hate on those who do that stuff, but personally I just don't like it so I'm not going to do it.

BTW, I grew up in Arizona, where water is quickly becoming scarce. Yet almost every idiot with a house has lush grass in their yards. Dumping tons of water so that their's is greener than their neighbors. And god forbid anyone to walk on their lawns, they are only for LOOKING at!
I'd love to eliminate having a lawn, I hate taking care of it. It is against city code to not have a grass lawn. Gravel is out, dirt is out, only grass. Sucks...

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Dec 2, 2006, 01:12 AM

Originally Posted by euchomai View Post
I'd love to eliminate having a lawn, I hate taking care of it. It is against city code to not have a grass lawn. Gravel is out, dirt is out, only grass. Sucks...
Put in bamboo.

After a few months your neighbours will have it, too.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Rumor
Dec 2, 2006, 01:54 AM

snip
I suggest shrinking that image before you get a violation.

vinster
Senior User
Dec 2, 2006, 02:18 AM

Originally Posted by starman View Post
I love this! Pure genius.

Their neighbors must hate it.

quattrokid73
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 2, 2006, 02:54 AM

its culture, it makes a lot of people happy, and it wastes less energy than a lot of other things. one thing we could all do is put them up later in december, so they are even more special for those who enjoy them and we use less energy...
MBP 2.4, 2gb, 8600GT, 120gb 7200rpm; white iPhone 3G

Forum Links
Forum Rules