Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > MBP Backlight died

MBP Backlight died
Dr Reducto
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 4, 2006, 01:13 AM

I was just sitting around and the backlight flickered and died. I restarted, and it came back on for a second. I then reset SMC and it showed up until the OS loaded, then went out.

Im typing this on my LCD TV right now, but as soon as I get a chance im bringing it into the Apple store to have it checked out. Hopefully they don't try to blame this one on me and stick me with the repair bill for this one (like they did with my melted power adaptor)

ghporter
Administrator
Dec 4, 2006, 09:10 AM

How can they blame a totally internal component's failure on you? It's likely to be the inverter that powers the lamps over the cold cathode lamps themselves, and may even be a connector that has come loose.

And how did you melt your power adapter?

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Dr Reducto  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 4, 2006, 10:48 AM

Well, what happened was that I noticed that a few inches after coming out of the power brick, the cable that goes to the laptop had a spot where the cable covering had melted into the wires it contained. It wasn't a melted adaptor exactly, it's just easiest to explain it that way.

So when I took it to the Apple Store, they inspected my laptop, and pointed out how there were dents in the aluminum near where the magsafe adaptor connects, and in their infinite wisdom, declared that this was the reason that the cable coming out of the powerbrick had melted, so the warranty claim was denied for abuse.

Should I chalk it up to having brought it into the Apple Store instead of having just sent it into a repair depot directly?

bloodline
Forum Regular
Dec 4, 2006, 10:54 AM

The plot thickens!

How did you dent the area around the magsafe connector...?
2.8 Ghz Unibody MacBook Pro 15" - 4GB Ram - Logic Pro 8.0
2.33 Ghz C2D MacBook Pro 15" - 3GB Ram - Logic Pro 7.2
1.5 Ghz G4 PowerBook 12" - 1.25GB Ram

Dr Reducto  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 4, 2006, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by bloodline View Post
The plot thickens!

How did you dent the area around the magsafe connector...?
I had a vertical loading backpack that had the hard plastic feet right under the MBP, so when I set it down, the weight was focused there (and on the expresscard port).

I noticed after a month of using the bag, and don't use it anymore

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Dec 4, 2006, 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by Dr Reducto View Post
Well, what happened was that I noticed that a few inches after coming out of the power brick, the cable that goes to the laptop had a spot where the cable covering had melted into the wires it contained. It wasn't a melted adaptor exactly, it's just easiest to explain it that way.

So when I took it to the Apple Store, they inspected my laptop, and pointed out how there were dents in the aluminum near where the magsafe adaptor connects, and in their infinite wisdom, declared that this was the reason that the cable coming out of the powerbrick had melted, so the warranty claim was denied for abuse.

Should I chalk it up to having brought it into the Apple Store instead of having just sent it into a repair depot directly?
Any time you have an AC adapter fault, call AppleCare and tell them that you might have seen sparking. Anything that remotely sounds like it could cause fire, they'll treat you like gold. I dunno why sometimes the guys at the stores get into "abuse" mode.

tooki

Forum Links
Forum Rules