Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Macbook Pro C2D Network connectivity help

Macbook Pro C2D Network connectivity help
magness
Dec 7, 2006, 07:50 PM

Hello.

Not sure if this is a networking issue or a macbook issue. Moderators, please move me if you think it needs to.

I've just got my brand spanking new MBP C2D. It now runs both Windows (for games and work) and OSX 10.4.8 (or everything else). I've noticed something strange. The networking component of the machine seems to be doing strange things.

BTW, just a little background, I currently run an all airport network (1 x Airport extreme and 1x Airport express) with 3 IBM PCs connected to it fine. All connect via their wireless adapters fine with no problem. In fact I get excellent signal strength all the time. I also have an XBOX 360 connected to the airport via ethernet which connects fine too.

The MBP I have, when started up, detects ALL the networks in the surrounding area fine. However as soon as I connect it, it comes back with an error saying it cannot join the network. I need to reboot it a number of times before it decides to connect. It's quite a hit and miss thing.

Connecting via ethernet gives me a similar thing as well, where the DHCP defaults to a 169 address. I try to assign a static address (right subnet etc..) but there's no connection as well. I'm using the same ethernet cable as the xbox so I know the ethernet connection is fine.

I thought maybe it's a software problem, but when I boot into windows, it does the same thing as well.

Can anyone suggest anything? Not sure what firmware I have but any pointers would be helpful.

I love my new MBP. This is the second one (first MBP C2D I had died within hours of me opening the box) and would dearly NOT want to lose faith in apple's quality assurance.

magness  (op)
Dec 8, 2006, 10:52 AM

Actually, don't worry about it. I read the post above this and followed the instructions and it seemed to have worked.

That and I also moved my Airport recently so parts of my room is out of range of the base station. I had it a little too high up on my cupboard. Lowering it seems to have fixed it. My bad.

Sherman Homan
Mac Elite
Dec 8, 2006, 11:18 AM

I am so glad that we helped!
You can always turn to us!
;-)

sohailamir
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 8, 2006, 01:23 PM

It seems like I am having an Xbox issue using a mod chip to watch movies. But as that you , magness, have an xbox 360 then maybe you can help me with my FTP issue which is on the thread by me - sohail amir

magness  (op)
Dec 9, 2006, 12:12 AM

HeHe.. GREAT help!!

Oh yeah. And my WDC wasn't set up properly too.
Funnily enough the windows machines in my place weren't having problems connecting to the network.
After updating the airports (express and extreme) to their latest versions, th C2D MBP is having a better time connecting to the network.
Are there any issues SPECIFIC to the MBPs regarding network connectivity and signal pickup from airports..?

Sherman Homan
Mac Elite
Dec 9, 2006, 09:46 AM

I don't know of any specific issues with MBPs that I know of, keep the software updated, it seems that almost every OS update includes something for wireless connections. The one thing that does keep popping up happens in your list of trusted access points. The longer that list grows, the greater the chance that at some point you will need to clean them all out. They are there only as a convenience anyway.
Network Preferences --> Configure --> By default join...

Forum Links
Forum Rules